Global Climate Change Science News

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:31 pm

It's kind of ironic that capitalism is leading governments in change, given that capitalism got us in this mess in the first place.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:41 pm

They are using cold, clear logic and see the reality of the risks to their money if they continue with coal...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:26 am

For Galacticus.Image
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:39 am

:hehe:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:42 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:26 am
For Galacticus.
Oh dear, oh dear... I'll respond to your trite, just-so cliche.
Firstly, there's no such thing as 'better' or 'worse' science. Science is science; it's a system of thinking & analysis. If the 'scientist' is inept or a paid prostitute/hired-gun, then what they do is not science, it's something else. But Galaxian will humor you and reply to your assertions:
What refutes science?

That's easy, it's what you do all the time: SCIENTISM...
the religion of dogmatists & bigots who feel empowered by riding on the coat-tails of notable scientists of the past, such as Galileo.

Speaking of whom we get to another refutation of science: The Inquisition. Recall that Galileo was tried for heresy and threatened with torture, and he capitulated and was put under house arrest till he died. In other words, his science was refuted successfully. And no one gave a damn. It's neither here nor there that eventually, in the fullness of time, years later his ideas are taken up and become fashionable (somewhat). He LOST, as did his science. Even to this day half the population thinks that the Sun goes around the Earth.

As Mao said, "Power comes out of the barrel of a gun!" The old consolation prize, "The pen is mightier than the sword" is just that; a sop to ease the pain of losing as you have the sword thrust through you. Yes, in the fullness of time things happen, but not because of the victory of the 'superior' science, but because of the winnowing out done by the Laws of Nature as it operates Natural Selection. THAT is why this is the last generation of the present species.

It follows that the rest of your gibberish, about "what doesn't refute science", is misconstrued. Because ALL those items (feelings, religion, favorite politician, half-baked opinions, and so forth) ALL refute science, especially if the science is disappeared or disapproved or disparaged or dismissed by the mass media, 'science' propagandists and forums & their members who are simply after the glitter and the instant orgasm, and are as impervious to any amount of evidence as a pile of dung... :coffee:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:44 am

You don't like people, do you?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:06 am

No YouTube video. We're making progress.

Galaxian

Post by Galaxian » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:21 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:44 am
You don't like people, do you?
"...like people" does not compute. I'm 'happy' enough to have a laugh as much as the next sentient being. But the operative word is 'sentient'. The more the sentience of the being with whom I associate with, the more I 'like' it.

So, I don't enjoy buffoonery for its own sake. Watch the interminable adverts on TV... all having the time of their lives because of some trivial product. Or the injuries and desperation at the Black Friday sales. Or the lies perpetrated by the media, and no one is skeptical or vaguely curious, even when counter evidence is staring them in the face.

Yes, such a species has reached its "use by" date. There's NO WAY that ANY amount of education or training can take us past the impasse of our intellectual limit. Even now the progress we make is with the full cooperation of the computers that are so advanced that not even their so-called designers can understand the hardware or software.

For the past couple of decades design evidence that's not backed up by many pages of computer analysis is hardly worth presenting, because those who are supposed to approve it can NOT understand the methodology, design philosophy, or the calculations, and will argue and resist persuasion unless presented with computer graphs, diagrams, tables, and algorithms. Then they accept it; not because they understand the computer output, but because they can not understand it, but will not argue against it because it was done by a computer!

Thus we see that the species has reached its natural terminus. AI is already millions of times faster & better than us, and continues to progress at a prodigious rate. There's no reason why an inferior species should be preferred over a superior one. :yes:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:13 pm

"Global warming" is scary to right wing nationalists. Global implies the UN is involved.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:58 pm

Faster and better at what exactly?

--Jeopardy? :nervous:

Face it, AI continues to be a huge disappointment. :sigh:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:44 am

"Estimates of when the world will top safe CO2 levels have varied over time. A 2013 IPCC forecast said the 1.5° threshold could be breached as soon as 2021. In a 2018 report, the panel estimated that Paris commitments, even if followed by more stringent emissions reductions in 2030, won’t be sufficient to limit warming to 1.5°. Some studies suggest that existing emissions have already committed the world to a greater than 33% chance of 1.5° warming or more, whereas others suggest the world may have 20 more years at current emissions rates before blowing past the mark.

Bringing CO2 concentrations back to safe levels, many scientists believe, will require the extraction of a significant amount of CO2 from the atmosphere. There are two ways to mitigate CO2-caused warming: geoengineering to curb the amount of solar radiation reaching Earth’s surface, and removing excess CO2 from the atmosphere. Known as negative emissions technologies (NETs), the various methods that take the second approach form the subject of this article."

https://physicstoday.scitation.org/doi/ ... /PT.3.4389

TL;DR - No fucking way.

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:57 am

It is not exactly glamorous work. Measuring sheep farts is smelly, time consuming and expensive.
But for Dr Suzanne Rowe, a scientist who is breeding strains of sheep that emit less methane than regular flocks, there is nothing more important she feels she could be doing.
“New Zealand has really become a global leader in this space and there’s a lot of buzz around at the moment – it’s hugely exciting,” she says.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... st-methane

TL;DR - Parp!

Frank Zappa

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:27 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:44 am
"Estimates of when the world will top safe CO2 levels have varied over time. A 2013 IPCC forecast said the 1.5° threshold could be breached as soon as 2021. In a 2018 report, the panel estimated that Paris commitments, even if followed by more stringent emissions reductions in 2030, won’t be sufficient to limit warming to 1.5°. Some studies suggest that existing emissions have already committed the world to a greater than 33% chance of 1.5° warming or more, whereas others suggest the world may have 20 more years at current emissions rates before blowing past the mark.

Bringing CO2 concentrations back to safe levels, many scientists believe, will require the extraction of a significant amount of CO2 from the atmosphere. There are two ways to mitigate CO2-caused warming: geoengineering to curb the amount of solar radiation reaching Earth’s surface, and removing excess CO2 from the atmosphere. Known as negative emissions technologies (NETs), the various methods that take the second approach form the subject of this article."

TL;DR - No fucking way.
It would make more sense to remove CO2 at the source, since the concentration is higher and the economics of adsorption are better by some orders of magnitude.

...then again why do we need to add any extra CO2, at all?
:smug:
CO2 could be a useful resource in storage of energy, and methane as a means of purifying water by clathrate formation.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Galaxian

Post by Galaxian » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:02 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:58 pm
Faster and better at what exactly?
--Jeopardy? :nervous:
Face it, AI continues to be a huge disappointment. :sigh:
Glad that you wish for AI to be even more effective.
Yes, it beat humans at Jeopardy almost a decade ago. Beat grandmasters at chess three decades ago. At Go a few years ago. Can now teach itself any game from scratch and beat the world champions with ease.

In technology matters; has been able to diagnose & recommend the treatment of any illness in a matter of seconds for the past five decades (progressively more so year by year), is used in all engineering design, such as structures, cars, trucks, ships & planes, that it designs within minutes, from the ground up, constrained only by the humans that it has to patiently wait for. And so forth.

Faster without a doubt, since before the Sinclair ZX80. Better; more so month by month, as noted above. It now even has better vision and mobility in restructed requirements. Before long it will be as good as what you see in the movies, such as "I Robot", or "Terminator".
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:44 am
"Estimates of when the world will top safe CO2 levels have varied over time. A 2013 IPCC forecast said the 1.5° threshold could be breached as soon as 2021. In a 2018 report, the panel estimated that Paris commitments, even if followed by more stringent emissions reductions in 2030, won’t be sufficient to limit warming to 1.5°. Some studies suggest that existing emissions have already committed the world to a greater than 33% chance of 1.5° warming or more, whereas others suggest the world may have 20 more years at current emissions rates before blowing past the mark.

Bringing CO2 concentrations back to safe levels, many scientists believe, will require the extraction of a significant amount of CO2 from the atmosphere. There are two ways to mitigate CO2-caused warming: geoengineering to curb the amount of solar radiation reaching Earth’s surface, and removing excess CO2 from the atmosphere. Known as negative emissions technologies (NETs), the various methods that take the second approach form the subject of this article."

TL;DR - No fucking way.
People are so gullible that they don't have a clue or a chance! They think that "scientists" are a band of truthful & honest angels sent from God, while also hating them. Curiously, they also think the same of any shysters, such as Princess Greta or politicians such as Angela M. Sheeple...easy to control & slaughter at will. The above article from Physics Today is a case in point. The publishers don't question the concept of climate manipulation... as already done by HARP & aerosol spraying.

No wonder there's a popular perception of the 'mad scientist'. Yes, but nothing is done about controlling the mad scientist (of whom there are many), because the proletariat has NO power, it is impotent & mute. The real powers at the top may nod politely and allow a little voice for a little time, but will do what they want anyway. They are never held responsible. because they ARE the law.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbwXsh3NkR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZct-itCwPE
:coffee:

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:22 pm

Galaxian wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:02 pm

People are so gullible that they don't have a clue or a chance! They think that "scientists" are a band of truthful & honest angels sent from God, while also hating them.
:roll:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4