Global Climate Change Science News

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:19 am

There's no jobs on a dead planet.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

aufbahrung

Post by aufbahrung » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:38 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:19 am
There's no jobs on a dead planet.
AI Robot Gravedigger would disagree
WeAreAStableCountry

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:26 am

Congress constraints mean the US and Australia aren’t so far apart on climate after all
Simon Jackman wrote:Joe Biden’s exhortations for major economies to do more may not match what he is able to legislate

“The Australian Way” was the title of the Morrison government’s rollout of its “whole-of-economy Plan” for net zero emissions by 2050, the phrase used at least eight times in Tuesday’s press conference.

Repeatedly reminding us of the “Australian” character of the plan serves multiple purposes for a government preparing for re-election. It can’t help but signal defiance, designed to head off international criticism of Australia’s climate aspirations before the Glasgow summit. As Scott Morrison elaborated: “We won’t be lectured by others who do not understand Australia. The Australian way is all about how you do it, and not if you do it. It’s about getting it done.”

The contrast with the optics and framing of other “big” Australian policy announcements is striking, with their focus on collaboration, alliances and partnerships and defending the “rules-based, international order”: witness the comprehensive and progressive agreement for trans-Pacific partnership, Aukus, the Quad. An “Australian way” is certainly striking a different tone. Echoes of Howard-era border policy or even elements of “America First” are present. Perhaps Morrison’s concerns about “negative globalism” are back, in time for the election?

These observations aside, Tuesday’s announcement is significant; given recent Australian political history it is noteworthy that a centre-right Australian government has explicitly committed itself to a 2050 net zero target.

Yet for all the government’s branding of its plan as “Australian”, there is a strong case that the Biden administration’s focus on climate change is the sine qua non for Australia’s policy evolution.

Imagine that Donald Trump had won re-election in 2020 and was still president of the US, which remained withdrawn from the Paris climate accords and almost surely sitting out the Glasgow climate conference.

In this scenario, would we have seen the Morrison government spend 2021 crabwalking towards a net zero 2050 target and making its announcement this week? Absent the spotlight that the Biden administration has put on climate change, what position would Australia be taking to Glasgow this weekend?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:32 pm

Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:15 pm

‘Cop26 own goal’: despair over budget backing for flights and roads
Chancellor’s speech did not mention the climate crisis despite UK-hosted climate summit opening on Sunday

Rishi Sunak’s decision to make domestic flights cheaper, freeze fuel duty and spend £21bn on roads just before the Cop26 climate summit has prompted a furious reaction from green campaigners.

The chancellor’s budget speech did not mention the climate crisis despite the UK-hosted summit of 196 nations opening in Glasgow on Sunday. The UK’s cut in foreign aid funding has dented its climate credibility with developing nations but was in effect cut further by the inclusion of Covid vaccine donations.

“The chancellor declared the UK was entering an ‘age of optimism’ but instead he extended the age of fossil fuels,” said Luke Murphy, at the Institute for Public Policy Research. “Sunak talked for longer about beer duty than our duty to future generations to address the climate crises. This budget was an own goal for a government that should be leading the world into a new low-carbon age [at] Cop26.”
Age of optimism for the 1%. Chumocracy in action.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:12 pm

Katie Porter explains green washing
https://www.nbcnews.com/video/rep-porte ... d_ms_tw_ma
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:44 am

Is it relevant?

Cop26 will be whitest and most privileged ever, warn campaigners
Thousands from frontline communities in global south have been excluded, activists claim

The global climate summit in Glasgow will be the whitest and most privileged ever, according to campaigners, who warn that thousands of people from frontline communities in the global south have been excluded.

World leaders and delegates are expected to be joined by celebrities, corporate chief executives and royals at the critical two-week event.

But the Cop26 Coalition – which represents indigenous movements, vulnerable communities, trade unionists and youth strikers around the world – says that up to two-thirds of those it was helping to travel to Glasgow have given up, overwhelmed by a combination of visa and accreditation problems, lack of access to Covid vaccines and changing travel rules – as well as “scarce and expensive” accommodation.

Campaigners say activists and observers have been prevented from coming by:

an underlying “hostile attitude” from the UK Home Office towards those travelling from countries in the global south, particularly Africa, which has led to many visas being refused;

a failure to honour a pledge to offer Covid vaccines to all delegates, leaving many to search for vaccines in countries with little or no access;

constantly changing Covid restrictions for those entering the UK, with travel banned from countries on the UK’s red list, which, until this month, included many of the countries worst hit by the climate crisis. This has left many to seek costly and complicated routes to Glasgow via third countries;

an accommodation crisis in the city that has made finding a safe place to stay difficult and expensive. Campaigners have set up a “homestay network” to try to link people up with spare rooms, but say they have thousands on their waiting list

Asad Rehman, of the Cop26 Coalition, said: “Cop26 is going to be overwhelmingly white and rich this year. The UN climate talks are always exclusionary, but this year the logistics of this summit have been extraordinarily badly managed. On every level, those who are most affected by this crisis have been systemically silenced and excluded.
Another white wash job by the 1%. Keeping their consciousnesses clean? More Chumocracy?

IMHO tackling world poverty and corruption is more or just as important at this moment in time.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:55 pm

Look, I know how much noise was made around cop 21, that was 5 years ago, and we see how much effect this has really born. So, I guess this will have about zero real effect
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

aufbahrung

Post by aufbahrung » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:23 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:55 pm
Look, I know how much noise was made around cop 21, that was 5 years ago, and we see how much effect this has really born. So, I guess this will have about zero real effect
Human die-off will save the day. Don't know why people worry and try to change the certainty of doom? Prestige, do gooderism and obviously a chance for a guilt-free trip obroad with CO2 no object(sort of no object)...I suppose.
WeAreAStableCountry

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:33 pm

aufbahrung wrote:Human die-off will save the day. Don't know why people worry and try to change the certainty of doom? ...
Because not everybody is clinically depressed? Because not everybody thinks of the world we've built as something permanent, unchanging, or inevitable? Because not everybody thinks that shitting in their own sink is something for their grandchildren to clean up?

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:47 pm

I can shit where I want, I have no descendents to clean up after me... maybe I should operate coal mines, steel works, and gold mining that uses mercury.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:54 pm

Greta in Glagow
21DCEB3E-A6F6-446D-A0FA-4BFA4B907DD8.png
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag