Global Climate Change Science News

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by JimC » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:11 am

From a NewScientist excerpt:
Figures compiled by Mark Parrington at the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts show that wildfires this year have released a total of 4.3 gigatonnes of CO2 up to 16 August, which is more than the combined annual emissions of the European Union.
Given that it is global warming itself which increases the frequency and severity of such wildfires, this is a pretty perfect example of positive feedback...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:11 am

Tipping point.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:05 pm

Bacterial Bloom as the Earth Thawed: Photosynthetic Organisms During the Snowball Earth

Some researchers hypothesize that ice sheets enveloped the earth during the Marinoan glaciation (650-535 million years ago) in what is dubbed the "Snowball Earth." The glaciation also impacted the climate and chemical compositions of the oceans, restraining the evolution of early life. Yet, as the earth warmed, and the Ediacaran period dawned, biotic life began to evolve.

A research team from Tohoku University has unveiled more about the evolutionary process of the Marinoan-Ediacaran transition. Using biomarker evidence, they revealed possible photosynthetic activity during the Marinoan glaciation. This was followed by photosynthetic organisms and bacteria entering a period of low productivity. However, as eukaryotes expanded during the early Ediacaran period, they blossomed.

Dr. Kunio Kaiho, who co-authored a paper with Atena Shizuya, said, "Our findings help clarify the evolution of primitive to complex animals in the aftermath of the Snowball Earth." Their paper online was published in the journal Global and Planetary Change on August 8, 2021.

Changes in Earth's environment and lifeforms during the Snowball Earth and its aftermath 650-630 million years ago. Black arrows show changes. The appearance of a supercontinent caused a decrease in ocean volcanism, which resulted in a decrease in atmospheric CO<sub>2</sub> and the Snowball Earth. Red words show new findings in this paper...

https://www.tohoku.ac.jp/en/press/bacte ... hawed.html
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:48 pm

Arc of Fires in the U.S. West

NASA: 30 Aug 21

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/image ... he-us-west

As August 2021 came to an end, 42,647 fires had scorched 4,879,574 acres across the United States in 2021—close to the ten-year average for the first eight months of a year, according to statistics from the National Interagency Fire Center. But among the 83 fires still actively burning on August 31, some were especially fierce; two of them had crossed the crest of the Sierra Nevada for the first time in recent record-keeping.

The largest blazes burned in Northern California, most notably the Caldor and Dixie fires, which together have scorched nearly 1 million acres (1,500 square miles) so far. Smoke from the Caldor fire near Lake Tahoe is visible in the image above, acquired on the afternoon of August 30, 2021, with the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Aqua satellite. Between ignition on August 14 and the time of the image, the fire had burned more than 170,000 acres. The fire perimeter was 14 percent contained as of August 31.

The Caldor fire spread rapidly amid dry and gusty conditions, prompting officials to expand mandatory evacuation orders to the Tahoe Basin, including South Lake Tahoe, a lakeside city of nearly 22,000 people. According to news reports, Caldor is only the second-known fire to have crested the ridge of the Sierra Nevada, burning from one side to the other. It follows the Dixie fire, which crossed over the ridge earlier in the month....
---
More than 200 people displaced and/or made homeless by Caldor fire. Isn't it time we started classifying people in this situation as 'climate refugees'?
Caldor Fire Evacuees Running Out Of Money With No Place To Stay

CBS Sacramento, 24 Aug 21

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2021/08 ... -homeless/

More than a week since the Caldor Fire sparked and tore through El Dorado County, thousands of residents are now homeless and evacuation sites are full.

Now, more than 200 evacuees are at the KOA in Shingle Springs, camping out and paying more than $100 dollars a night for a place to stay. Some say they’re running out of money while trying to keep their families in one place. ...

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:30 pm

That sounds reasonable to me. Unfortunately we still have too many who will buy into the lie that such a classification is a trick to reclassify business as usual in the service of big climate.... :hehe:

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:55 am

Michael Mann weighs in
Climate scientist makes dire prediction about monster storms

Michael Mann, a lead author of the UN Climate Change report, explains the science that directly connects rising temperatures to the increased frequency and severity of major storms.
https://edition.cnn.com/videos/weather/ ... nr-vpx.cnn
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:01 am

It was grass that changed the Earth's ecosystem so that humans could evolve.

Therefore grass is to blame
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:18 am

I blame the fish that came out of the water to live on land.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:13 am

rainbow wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:01 am
It was grass that changed the Earth's ecosystem so that humans could evolve.

Therefore grass is to blame
Linkypoo: https://earthsky.org/human-world/did-hu ... rasslands/
BArF−4

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:02 am

New Support For Human Evolution In Grasslands
A 24 Million-Year Record of African Plants Plumbs Deep Past

6/6/16

Buried deep in seabed sediments off east Africa, scientists have uncovered a 24-million-year record of vegetation trends in the region where humans evolved. The authors say the record lends weight to the idea that we developed key traits—flexible diets, large brains, complex social structures and the ability to walk and run on two legs—while adapting to the spread of open grasslands. The study appears today in a special human-evolution issue of the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
https://www.earth.columbia.edu/articles/view/3283
Potts says there is ample evidence from finer-scale studies that even as grasses spread, east Africa's climate swung from wet to dry over much shorter time periods.
BArF−4

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:02 am

wouldn't it be nice ..... cue The Beach Boyz

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/202 ... /100428158
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:20 am

40 is a horror show....50 unimaginable.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58494641

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:53 am

I know, I'm 48. 50 is going to be hard.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:55 am

Pah! You're just hitting your prime.

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:05 am

50 is easy. 60 too and was still firing on all cylinders then. 70 was a totally different ball game, well for me it was. The old engine is hardly turning over. Live one day at a time now. TF(!) for computers and the internet.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".