Global Climate Change Science News

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:01 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
What do you think his point was?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:11 pm

aufbahrung

Post by aufbahrung » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:19 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:01 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
He don't like silicon based life-forms. Even though they are the future.
WeAreAStableCountry

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:19 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:Image
:hehe:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:06 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:01 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
1) Earning his money.
2) Kicking boomer-bashers off their high horses.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:52 am

The farce has just got more farcical.

Anatomy of spin: how UK is trying to frame Cop26 as a success
Officials have been sending out misleading and overhyped statements during the conference. Fiona Harvey dissects one missive

The first week of Cop26 was a packed affair, with world leaders of the G20 group of the world’s biggest economies first meeting in Rome, then moving on to meet more than 100 other leaders in Glasgow for the initial stage of a fortnight of intensive talks.

António Guterres, the UN secretary general, warned that recent optimistic assessments were “an illusion”, exhorting leaders to make stronger efforts to cut greenhouse gases. The biggest country to respond was India, the world’s third biggest emitter, which set out a target of net zero by 2070, which most regard as too late for the Cop26 goal of limiting temperature rises to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels but some said would be met sooner.

Joe Biden used his final words to take a swipe at China. The Chinese delegation seemed less perturbed, having its own issues with marshalling smaller developing countries, which are concerned that the 1.5C goal is slipping out of reach.

Boris Johnson was alternately hopeful and despairing, and viewed with puzzlement at best and as clownish at worst by the rest of the world, before hopping on a private jet on Tuesday for dinner with the arch-climate denier and former Telegraph editor Charles Moore to discuss the Owen Paterson scandal (and look how that went).

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia has been working behind the scenes to stymie progress on ratcheting up ambition on emissions cuts.

But by far the biggest flurry of activity in week one came from the UK hosts, who orchestrated a series of major announcements and deals on forests, finance and coal, to keep up a stream of positive news and momentum, buoying the talks while the negotiators worked on the tricky details.

One particular missive, sent by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy at 4.14pm on Wednesday but embargoed until 10.30pm that evening, tells the story of the week in microcosm.
Greenwashing by the Chumocracies.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:58 am

Here we go again. African nations wanting money. A few of the leaders bank accounts must be emptying.

Cop26: African nations seek talks on $700bn climate finance deal
Negotiators say funding needed to speed up decarbonisation and help developing countries to adapt

African nations want Cop26 to open discussions this week on a mega-financing deal that would channel $700bn (£520bn) every year from 2025 to help developing nations adapt to the climate crisis.

Tanguy Gahouma-Bekale, the chair of the African Group of Negotiators on climate change, said the increased finance was needed for the accelerated phase of decarbonisation required to hold global heating to 1.5C.

These funds would also be essential, he said, to cope with the impacts, including fiercer heat, widening droughts and more intense storms and floods, which are using up an increasingly large share of GDP. According to a recent study, some African nations are already spending more on climate adaptation than on healthcare and education.

“The work on this needs to start now,” said the climate diplomat from Gabon. “Talks about finance take time so we need to have a roadmap now with clear milestones on how to achieve targets after 2025 to ensure the money flows every year.”

It is also a question of justice. The climate problem was largely created by Europe, North America and east Asia, but the worst impacts are in the southern hemisphere. In 2009, rich nations promised $100bn a year, which was considered a downpayment and an important gesture of trust.

That transition will depend on a flow of funding. African nations insist wealthy countries are held as rigorously to account on their finance promises as they are on emissions reductions. That means regular reporting on the levels of support provided, needed and received.

“What we want to achieve at this Cop is a transparency framework with strong rules on accounting,” said Gahouma-Bekale.
Just who are they kidding?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:55 pm

Remind me. Who's kidding whom?

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:37 pm

Who do you think Brian?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:13 pm

The dictators are kidding the chumocracy.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:17 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Who do you think Brian?
Not sure who you were referring to - which is why I asked.

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:57 am

The need for wealthier countries to financially support the efforts of third world countries in reducing emissions cannot be denied. However, it also remains true that there is a real possibility of some of those funds being corruptly diverted, based on previous examples of aid funds not reaching their intended recipients. A powerful and transparent auditing organisation needs to be part of the process.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:12 am

The issue at the moment isn't the amount, or where it's going, but that only 6% of the money pledged at Paris has been forthcoming.

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:14 am

Chumwashing!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:15 am

;)

Frank Zappa