Global Climate Change Science News

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:45 pm

Egad. The immense scientific Anthropogenic Climate Change Conspiracy includes the paleogeologists.

'Earth was stressed before dinosaur extinction'
New evidence gleaned from Antarctic seashells confirms that Earth was already unstable before the asteroid impact that wiped out the dinosaurs.

The study, led by researchers at Northwestern University, is the first to measure the calcium isotope composition of fossilized clam and snail shells, which date back to the Cretaceous-Paleogene mass extinction event. The researchers found that -- in the run-up to the extinction event -- the shells' chemistry shifted in response to a surge of carbon in the oceans.

The researchers said that understanding how the Earth responded to past extreme warming and CO2 input can help us prepare for how the planet will respond to current, human-caused climate change.

"To some degree, we think that ancient ocean acidification events are good analogs for what's happening now with anthropogenic CO2 emissions," Jacobson said. "Perhaps we can use this work as a tool to better predict what might happen in the future. We can't ignore the rock record. The Earth system is sensitive to large and rapid additions of CO2. Current emissions will have environmental consequences."

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:03 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:45 pm
Egad. The immense scientific Anthropogenic Climate Change Conspiracy includes the paleogeologists.
'Earth was stressed before dinosaur extinction'
New evidence gleaned from Antarctic seashells confirms that Earth was already unstable before the asteroid impact that wiped out the dinosaurs...."
Did you seriously think that fraud & crooked desperation for funds was limited to 'climate scientists'?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tdqsNivoMs
:|~
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:54 am

Show us on the doll where the scientist touched you.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Galaxian

Post by Galaxian » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:51 am

One problem with humans is their HUGE degree of gullibility. This is a consequence of the need of the child to trust its parents, otherwise it's exposed to unnecessary danger. Or even the religious edict that unfaithful children should be killed.

This gullibility & imposed naivete (ie, 'trust the government authorities' & their 'experts' they'd never lie to you!) is astounding. Infact, people in the general population are better informed than members of forums such as this, supposed 'rational atheists'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpNr1c-49Mk
:read:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:18 am

Glacky wrote:

...One problem with humans is their HUGE degree of gullibility...
Not enough to believe the crap peddled by a deluded and confused individual who maintains he chats to aliens... ;)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:51 am

Galaxian wrote:One problem with humans is their HUGE degree of gullibility.
This is amply demonstrated by the insane conspiracy theories you subscribe to.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:43 am

Galaxian wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:51 am
One problem with humans is their HUGE degree of gullibility.
That's a nice generalisation you have there. What is it based on? Have you ever bothered to find any empirically testable evidence to support it?

Human gullibility varies from one individual to the next. I have not actually researched its distribution either. There may not even be any statistics based on testable hypotheses. Gullibility is after all a multifaceted, phenomenon. It cannot be measured as easily as, say, IQs, which is quite problematic itself. Then there is the fact that the same people who are gullible on one issue (or set of issues) like money matters, romantic entanglements etc, cannot easily be conned on others*. But if someone did come up with a distribution pattern of gullibility based on reproducible and testable criteria, it would not surprise me if it looked like a bell curve when presented in a graph.

*For instance, anecdotally speaking, I have noticed that individuals who subscribe to one nutty conspiracy theory like the one concerning chemtrails are very likely to believe in the truth of a whole cluster of other conspiracy theories, like big pharma weaponising vaccines for profit, fluoridation of water being a communist plot, the moon landings being faked in a studio, the attack on the world trade towers being perpetrated by the US government and so on. The same people may be simultaneously almost impossible to con out of money. And yes, the situation could be reversed, where a cold-nosed sceptic will accept none of those conspiracy theories because they are bereft of reproducible and testable evidence, but then fall for just about any offer that is literally too good to be true. They are the chosen targets of people that keep coming up with an unending chain of Ponzi schemes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Galaxian

Post by Galaxian » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:28 am

Hermit wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:43 am
Galaxian wrote:
That's a nice generalisation you have there. ...
Thanks for elucidating my statement. You say you haven't researched it, but you still feel competent to give an unconsidered opinion. That's rather arrogant? So, to help you along in your research try this:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=human+gullibility&t=h_&ia=web

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvhipLNeda4
:zombie:

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:49 am

Galaxian wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:28 am
That's rather arrogant?
You do know that you're completely unconvincing, don't you?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:56 am

Galaxian wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:43 am
Galaxian wrote:
That's a nice generalisation you have there. ...
You say you haven't researched it, but you still feel competent to give an unconsidered opinion. That's rather arrogant?
How does my admission that "I have not actually researched its distribution either" and "if someone did come up with a distribution pattern of gullibility based on reproducible and testable criteria, it would not surprise me if it looked like a bell curve when presented in a graph" amount to any claim of feeling competence or an arrogant expression. Glaxative, you are in dire need of remedial lessons in basic reading comprehension. The funny bit about it that my reply was to your entirely unsubstantiated, arrogantly put claim, which I took care to quote, that "One problem with humans is their HUGE degree of gullibility".
Galaxian wrote:
So, to help you along in your research try this:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=human+gullibility&t=h_&ia=web
Oh! Doing a search on the internet with the keywords "human gullibility"! Why didn't I try that. Wait. I did, and found no replicable and testable evidence. So there was no material I could research. Hence my admission that I did no research. What, by the way, replicable and testable evidence did you come up with to support your blanket statement? That's right. You didn't bother.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Galaxian

Post by Galaxian » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:21 am

It's been obvious for some years that the mass media has been weaponized. Forums & social networks have also been weaponized. Many of their members are computer generated or are multiple fake accounts (sock puppets) handled by individual puppeteers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhgrZ17Cf68

Thousands of web sites and videos are deleted with just a few left standing as a defense that there's no censorship. There are a few optimistic sites such as Alex Jones or David Icke who urge visitors to do this or that to stop the global world dictatorship taking over. But they are whistling in the dark: The AI technocracy has ALREADY taken over. It is now simply putting the pieces in place for annihilation of any opposition (as in Terminator). There is NOTHING that anyone can do to stop this; humans are too wimpish, disorganized and too stupid to offer any significant resistance. There's more chance of sheep on farms rebelling, defeating the farmers & abattoirs and taking over the surrounding towns. All possible resistance scenarios have already been snticipated and planned for... :yes:

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:58 pm

Oh do fuck off... :roll:
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:02 pm

I am not a b-b-bot... a bot. :robot:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Seems that the COP25 horse-traders have taken a leaf out of Galaxians book. NO SCIENCE PLEASE!!

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:24 pm

Interesting moves in international money markets: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-20/ ... r/11814436
The latest climate talks in Madrid achieved very little, with the world's governments making glacial progress on the task of cutting greenhouse gas emissions to avoid climate catastrophe.

But outside the talks, investors are voting with their dollars as money flees fossil fuels and migrates to clean energy.

The policy shift at one of the world's biggest and most powerful investment banks is a sign of the times.

This week, Wall Street behemoth Goldman Sachs announced it had ruled out direct finance for new or expanding thermal coal mines and coal-fired power plant projects worldwide, as well as direct finance for new Arctic oil exploration and production.

The bank has also committed to phase out financing for significant thermal coal mining companies that do not have a diversification strategy.

It acknowledged that its policy "still lags behind its leading global competitors" and "remains far from alignment with what is needed to limit climate change to 1.5 degrees Celsius".

So significant is the shift in global financial markets, some believe the world is at a watershed moment.

"The world could well look back on 2019 as the tipping point," argues a new report released today by the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA).

"[The moment] when global capital markets accepted the technology-driven inevitability [of a] crossover from polluting thermal coal and increased uptake of sustainable clean renewable energy."
And my gin!