Global Climate Change Science News

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:20 am

The Copout:

Cop26 draft calls for tougher emissions pledges by next year
Move is recognition of gap between current pledges and goals but critics say it does not go far enough

A draft of the Cop26 negotiation outcome published overnight urges countries to strengthen their 2030 greenhouse gas emissions targets by the end of next year in a recognition of the yawning gap between current pledges and the landmark 2015 Paris agreement.

The text, released by the Cop26 president, Alok Sharma, called on all countries to increase their short-term commitments in 2022, which would be a step forward. It also asks them to agree to an annual high-level ministerial round table focused on raising ambition further starting next November.

However, it refers to the Paris temperature goal, which could limit temperature rises to 2C, rather than the more ambitious goal of 1.5C that many countries and campaigners were hoping for.

It followed widespread dismay on Tuesday after a projection by Climate Action Tracker found, based on analysis of countries’ current 2030 targets, that global heating was likely to soar to 2.4C above pre-industrial levels. Scientists warn a temperature rise on the scale would lead to devastation across the globe due to worsening heatwaves, floods, drought, storms and sea-level rise.

The draft, released before dawn in the UK on Wednesday and to be negotiated by countries over the final three days, is likely to form the basis for the main outcome at the summit, which aims to clarify and build on the Paris agreement.

It proposed that countries agree to accelerate the phasing out of coal and subsidies for fossil fuels – a potential first acknowledgement of fossil fuels’ central role in the climate crisis in a UN agreement – and called on all developed countries to at least double climate finance commitments to help those worst affected across the globe.

Observers said the draft fell substantially short of what was needed. Jennifer Morgan, the executive director of Greenpeace International, said it was a little more than an agreement to “all cross our fingers and hope for the best”, and said stronger action was needed on finance and adaptation, including “real numbers in the hundreds of billions”.

“It’s a polite request that countries maybe, possibly, do more next year,” she said. “That’s not good enough, and the negotiators shouldn’t even think about leaving this city until they’ve agreed to a deal that meets the moment. Because most assuredly, this one does not.
`

The final bit of greenwashing.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:00 am

So. The World's two biggest polluters, the US and China, sidestep COP and produce a bilateral declaration on their short term emissions aspirations.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:49 am

A nice bit of greenwashing.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:59 am

Never mind the military. Strange?

World’s militaries avoiding scrutiny over emissions
Countries do not have to include armed forces’ emissions in their targets despite estimates sector creates 6% of greenhouse gases

Armed forces are among the biggest polluters on the planet but are avoiding scrutiny because countries do not have to include their emissions in their targets, scientists say.

The world’s military combined, and the industries that provide their equipment, are estimated to create 6% of all global emissions, according to Scientists for Global Responsibility (SGR).

Due to what they describe as a “large loophole” in the Paris agreement, governments are not required to provide full data on greenhouse gases being emitted by armed forces. Previously, under the Kyoto protocol, militaries were given an automatic exemption from CO2 targets after lobbying from the US government.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:08 am

Yeah. Exemptions for military, air travel and shipping sectors in the Paris accord seem to not be on the agenda at COP26. I noticed there were quite a few placards from the Campaign Against the Arms Trade at last weekend's Glasgow Climate demo.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:56 pm

All loop holes. When is truck military? Just another bit of greenwashing.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:41 pm

Chumocracy!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:17 am

You are finally understanding it. :biggrin:

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:00 pm

More loopholes are created:

Second Cop26 draft text: Coal phaseout remains in but some language softened
Negotiators in Glasgow are working to come to an agreement as the conference enters its final day
Negotiators == spindoctors.
Countries are being called on to accelerate the phaseout of coal power at the Cop26 summit, and to return to the negotiating table next year with improvements to their national plans on cutting greenhouse gases.

The second draft of the key outcome from the Cop26 summit, now nearing its final hours in Glasgow after a fortnight of intense talks, showed a slight softening of language in some instances but retained the core demands for a return.

The three architects of the landmark 2015 Paris climate agreement have told the Guardian that a return to the negotiating table next year to revise countries’ national emissions-cutting targets – known as nationally determined contributions (NDCs) – must be the key outcome of the talks if the world is to limit global heating to 1.5C.

There was a slight change in the language in the text with regards to NDC revisions – the previous text, published on Thursday morning, “urged” parties to make revisions, while the current draft “requests” them to do so. However, the latter mirrors the language used in the Paris agreement, so the change was not regarded as a significant weakening.

The latest draft proposal from the Cop26 chair, released soon after 7am on Friday in Glasgow, calls on countries to accelerate “the phaseout of unabated coal power and of inefficient subsidies for fossil fuels.”

A previous version on Wednesday had called on countries to “accelerate the phasing out of coal and subsidies for fossil fuel.”

The addition of “inefficient” could help countries that want to retain some fuel subsidies for the poor, while removing subsidies for major fossil fuel interests. This change to the language could also provide cover for countries that want to retain subsidies, however.

The issue of fossil fuel subsidies has long vexed climate experts, with calls to reduce the subsidies over two decades going largely unheeded. However, to have any language on phasing out fossil fuels and subsidies to them in the cover decision of a Cop is new and if the provision is retained in the final outcome it will mark an increased determination by many countries to face down fossil fuel producers at the talks.
Greenwashing.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:54 pm

The great greenwashing is complete. What a waste of time. The 1% achieved their goal.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:06 pm

It really makes you laugh. Do I have to be concerned about SW Ozland.

Cop26 will make life harder for Australian fossil fuel industry, NSW treasurer predicts
Matt Kean says Glasgow climate summit has ‘accelerated where the market was already going’

When the new NSW treasurer, Matt Kean, toured a Hunter Valley coalmine a year ago, managers complained about how hard it was to renew insurance for their pit.

In light of the weekend’s conclusion of the Cop26 climate summit in Glasgow, those challenges will get more difficult, Kean has now predicted.

“Glasgow just accelerated where the market was already going,” he said. “The fossil fuel industry is going to find it harder to get insurance, raise capital or refinance their operations.”
Thank fuck. I weep for them.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:12 pm

Cop26 failed in a bid to phase out coal, news that had its president Alok Sharma close to tears. But not everyone’s disappointed – nationals senator Matt Canavan has declared it a great win for Australia’s mining industry.

He told the Nine Network:

Given the fact that the agreement did not say that coal needs to be phased down or taken out, it is a big green light for us to build more coalmines.
The Earth has not won but these cunts cant see that.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... se-numbers

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:13 pm

Great Oz mentality.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:34 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:13 pm
Great Oz mentality.
Don't make it an "Oz" thing, it is all to do with the pricks in our Federal government, who may well be voted out of office next year...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:35 am

Scot is too simplistic for nuance.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.