Global Climate Change Science News

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by rainbow » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:35 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:38 pm
"The Colorado river is running dry - nobody wants to talk about this. How do you do California without the Colorado river? How do you do America as a superpower without California?" -- Mark Blyth
What has California ever done for us?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:34 am

Bunch of commies.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:45 am

Pakistan.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:18 pm

They are hogging all the water, sue them
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:23 am

Stop blaming the climate for disasters

Disasters occur when hazards meet vulnerability. We must acknowledge the human-made components of both vulnerability and hazard and emphasize human agency in order to proactively reduce disaster impacts.

Natural hazards such as floods, droughts and heatwaves become disasters as a result of societal vulnerability, that is, a propensity of people, societies and ecosystems to be harmed. Often, people’s social, political and economic status determines the nature of differential and disproportionate impacts1. In addition, many natural hazards are not just natural processes, but have been made more likely and more intense by human-caused climate change2. This has long been recognized3,4,5, yet disasters continue to be construed as an ‘Act of God’ or described as ‘natural’.

Here we argue that a discourse in which the role of human activity in disasters is clearly communicated—as opposed to blaming Nature or the Climate—will be more conducive to a proactive, equitable and ultimately successful approach to reducing impacts of disasters.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s43247-021-00332-2

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:19 am

Building in floodplains is a good example. This needs to stop. They are talking about buybacks here in flood prone areas in Australia.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:13 am

Pew Research report (Climate Change Remains Top Global Threat Across 19-Country Survey) highlights the perception gap between left and right ...

More Australians worried about climate change than ever before, but conservatives less so

Rightwing voters in Australia are less likely to consider climate change a major threat compared to rightwing voters in most other comparable nations, according to a major international survey.

The latest Pew Research Centre survey, however, showed that overall more Australians are worried about climate change than ever before.

Australia was the only non-European nation in the survey to rate climate change as the greatest threat from the five threats listed, with 71% of respondents rating it their number one concern.

But there were stark differences between the views of those who identified as rightwing and leftwing on the issue of climate change in Australia, compared with most other surveyed countries, bar the US.

Some 91% of Australian respondents who self-identified as being on the left side of politics said climate change was a major threat, while just 47% of those on the right thought the same way.

In the UK, by contrast, 84% of leftwing respondents said climate change was a major threat, while 68% of rightwing respondents agreed. In France, 86% of leftwing respondents said it was a major threat, as did 75% of rightwing respondents.

The political divide on the topic in Australia was the second highest, with only the US ranking higher, where 85% of leftwing respondents said climate change was a major threat, but just 22% of rightwing respondents agreed.

Less than 50% of rightwing respondents in Canada and Israel also said climate change was a major threat, though the gap between left and right was less pronounced than Australia...
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:26 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:19 am
Building in floodplains is a good example. This needs to stop. They are talking about buybacks here in flood prone areas in Australia.
They talked about it after Harvey, but I don't think anything came of it.

I've started trying to convince my neighbors on facebook that our problem is at the top. We will flood again, but not because we got a new neighbor, but because our leadership lacks the will to make drastic changes. Worse, our regulations favor protecting money when making big changes for the community might inconvenience them. For example, a widening of a creek to help stop flooding in my neighborhood can be blocked by a single property owner who doesn't want it, and of course doesn't live in the neighborhood.

I've started posting this vid, saying something like: what it looks like when the community is put first... dutchy would be proud :biggrin:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:25 pm

Hippie. :tea:

Frank Zappa

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:31 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:26 pm
I've started posting this vid, saying something like: what it looks like when the community is put first... dutchy would be proud :biggrin:

Laklak prefers French drains to solve flooding problems. It's the American way.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:04 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:23 am

Disasters occur when hazards meet vulnerability. We must acknowledge the human-made components of both vulnerability and hazard and emphasize human agency in order to proactively reduce disaster impacts.

Natural hazards such as floods, droughts and heatwaves become disasters as a result of societal vulnerability, that is, a propensity of people, societies and ecosystems to be harmed. Often, people’s social, political and economic status determines the nature of differential and disproportionate impacts1. In addition, many natural hazards are not just natural processes, but have been made more likely and more intense by human-caused climate change2. This has long been recognized3,4,5, yet disasters continue to be construed as an ‘Act of God’ or described as ‘natural’.

Here we argue that a discourse in which the role of human activity in disasters is clearly communicated—as opposed to blaming Nature or the Climate—will be more conducive to a proactive, equitable and ultimately successful approach to reducing impacts of disasters.
The first thing about clear communication is the use of plain English :fp:
If one of my students used the words 'discourse', 'proactive', or 'equitable' - :what: I'd wash their mouth out with soap :nono:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:11 pm

:lol:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:19 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:23 am

This is very good. :tup:

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:43 am

2020, 4m 30s.

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:23 pm

Frank Zappa