Global Climate Change Science News

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:30 am

Science wrote: Assessing ExxonMobil's Global Warming Projections

... Our analysis shows that, in private and academic circles since the late 1970s and early 1980s, ExxonMobil scientists (i) accurately projected and skillfully modeled global warming due to fossil fuel burning; (ii) correctly dismissed the possibility of a coming ice age; (iii) accurately predicted when human-caused global warming would first be detected; and (iv) reasonably estimated how much CO2 would lead to dangerous warming. Yet, whereas academic and government scientists worked to communicate what they knew to the public, ExxonMobil worked to deny it...

- Science, Jan 23
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abk0063
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:08 pm

not news but the fall out might be
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:25 am

Indeed. And possibly a way to denude the Energy Charter Treaty t'boot.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:37 am

ahead of schedule.....way fucking ahead .

https://phys.org/news/2023-01-ai-world- ... hold-.html
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:20 am

Very impressive
Profitable retrofit system could slash steelmaking emissions by 94%
By Loz Blain
January 29, 2023
https://newatlas.com/environment/steel- ... reduction/

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:09 am

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:04 am

figured it better here ....this is big
Seawater split to produce green hydrogen
Posted on Feb 1 2023 by Jessica Stanley

Researchers have successfully split seawater without pre-treatment to produce green hydrogen.

The international team was led by the University of Adelaide’s Professor Shizhang Qiao and Associate Professor Yao Zheng from the School of Chemical Engineering.

“We have split natural seawater into oxygen and hydrogen with nearly 100 per cent efficiency, to produce green hydrogen by electrolysis, using a non-precious and cheap catalyst in a commercial electrolyser,” said Professor Qiao.

A typical non-precious catalyst is cobalt oxide with chromium oxide on its surface.

“We used seawater as a feedstock without the need for any pre-treatment processes like reverse osmosis desolation, purification, or alkalisation,” said Associate Professor Zheng.

“The performance of a commercial electrolyser with our catalysts running in seawater is close to the performance of platinum/iridium catalysts running in a feedstock of highly purified deionised water.
more

https://www.adelaide.edu.au/newsroom/ne ... n-hydrogen
Mind you cobalt is in short supply but the idea of a catalyst is it is not consumed by the process.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:10 am

An interesting process even given the scaling problem, coz there's an awful lot of ocean out there.

Feel the uni PR team have rather overplayed the Green tag there though.

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:48 am

the good side of it is that s we use up tons of water, it may help fight or delay the rise of sea levels
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:56 am

why? Green hydrogen is the perfect fuel.

•••
the good side of it is that s we use up tons of water, it may help fight or delay the rise of sea levels
yur understanding of scale is rather deficient. :bored:
or of the principle...it's a closed cycle

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:50 am

macdoc wrote:
why? Green hydrogen is the perfect fuel.
It is. But proof of concept research is not an account of a sustainable and scaleable Green process.
yur understanding of scale is rather deficient. :bored:
or of the principle...it's a closed cycle
You do this every time someone applies a critical eye to your future-centric utopianism. Get over yourself. I acknowledged the abundance of a key resource, sea water, but scaling has to account for all aspects of implementation and a closed or self-sustaining cycle has to account for all inputs and outputs - including construction, running, distribution, and decommissioning resourcing and costs. There's no account of how carbon or energy intensive this source of hydrogen might be, because that's not within the scope of the paper, so applying the Green tag seems more hype or hyperbole than accurately descriptive. Of course, the elephant in the room is the cobalt, it's abundance, performance and durability.

Frank Zappa

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:03 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:50 am
Of course, the elephant in the room is the cobalt, it's abundance, performance and durability.
Drivel.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:05 am

DRIVEL i tell you!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:09 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:05 am
DRIVEL i tell you!
We in Africa have elephants, and they do not fit into our mud huts.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:55 am

You do this every time someone applies a critical eye to your future-centric utopianism. Get over yourself. I acknowledged the abundance of a key resource, sea water, but scaling has to account for all aspects of implementation and a closed or self-sustaining cycle has to account for all inputs and outputs - including construction, running, distribution, and decommissioning resourcing and costs. There's no account of how carbon or energy intensive this source of hydrogen might be, because that's not within the scope of the paper, so applying the Green tag seems more hype or hyperbole than accurately descriptive. Of course, the elephant in the room is the cobalt, it's abundance, performance and durability.
blather
there is lots of cobalt, I used to refine it at international nickel
The largest cobalt reserves in the world by country - NS Energyhttps://www.nsenergybusiness.com › features › largest-c...
7 June 2021 — According to the US Geological Survey (USGS), total cobalt reserves worldwide stand at an estimated 7.1 million tonnes, with 140,000 tonnes ..
Ramping up new supplies takes time but in the article it's a catalyst...do you not understand catalysts are not consumed? :banghead:

This is NOT new technology ....does the concept of green hydrogen elude you.

It's a better way to get it industrial level of green hydrogen by eliminating the need for pure water AND not using precious metals for a catalyst
Simple point you spin up into some faiery thesis with no basis.

Argue the article not your over complicated imagination. If that's what you call a critical eye ...heaven help the planet. :coffee: