Why do people believe in UFOs?

Geoff
Pouncer

Why do people believe in UFOs?

Post by Geoff » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:29 pm

Well, why?

:dono:
"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Why do people believe in UFOs?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:31 pm

Geoff wrote:Well, why?

:dono:
Because lions and tigers and bears, oh my, weren't scary enough anymore.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:32 pm

Because they exist.

I saw one.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:34 pm

they have to believe in them because scientifically proving them is proving to be a little tricky. :hum:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Feck

Post by Feck » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:35 pm

Pappa wrote:Because they exist.

I saw one.
You are one
:bong:
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:39 pm

Borrowed from skepticforum.com:
Pyrrho wrote:A series of questions to ask when confronted with claims about extraterrestrials traveling to Earth.

What is the claim?
- Is it specific or general?
- What are the details?
- Is the claim combined with assertions of fact?
- Is the claim combined with assertions of a religous nature?
- Does the claim conflict with the laws of physics, e.g. gravity?
- Is the claim unique or part of a group of claims about the same event?

Who is making the claim?
- What is their history regarding such claims?
- What evidence do they claim to have?
- Does their claim depend upon anecdotal accounts, i.e. stories that are recollections of events in the past?
- If there are anecdotal accounts, when did they allegedly take place?
- Are the people who allegedly experienced the events still alive?
- Are their stories consistent over time, or have they changed?

Physical evidence
- Is there any?
- Are there actual pieces and parts of the UFO?
- Are there residuals, i.e. chemicals, waste products, damaged vegetation, altered landscape, radiation?
- Could any of the above have been produced by human action?
- How was the evidence collected?
- Who collected the evidence?
- What methods were used to prevent contamination of or tampering with the evidence?
- Where is it kept now?
- Where has it been kept in the past?
- Is there a distinct, specific, and detailed record of who has kept the evidence and where?
- Are scientists permitted to examine the evidence?
- Are the conditions to be met before the evidence can be examined?

Photographic evidence
- How clear are the photographs?
- How clear is the video?
- How old are the photographs?
- Have they previously been debunked or explained?
- Could the photos or video have been altered?
- Could the videos have been shot using special effects?
- What is the scale of the putative UFO in relation to other elements in the images?
- Who originated the photos or video?
- What is their history regarding similar evidence?
- Are high resolution originals available, such as film negatives?
- What were the atmospheric conditions under which the photo evidence was generated?
- Are there corroborating photographs?
- Have efforts been made to examine the location and conditions where the photographs were taken?
- Are the originals available for examination by scientists?
- Are there special conditions to be met before examination is allowed?

More later. Contribute your own if you care to.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:40 pm

Because they're frickin morons.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Har

Post by Har » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:41 pm

When our new alien overlords finally decide to descend upon us and conquer earth, you will all rue the day you mocked them!
You will see, you will see... :twisted:

Feck

Post by Feck » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:59 pm

Har wrote:When our new alien overlords finally decide to descend upon us and conquer earth, you will all rue the day you mocked them!
You will see, you will see... :twisted:
just cos you want to get probed again ;)
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:05 pm

BILL BIRNES is either a total nut job or the biggest liar on Earth. Discuss.

Har

Post by Har » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Finnish abduction by space aliens: a true story
`ll try to verbalize as accuratly as I can my second direct contact with "the space aliens". To me they introduced themselves as "the people of the Illuminati".

This incident occurred at Thursday, the 26 Th. of February, 2004. I had been spending the day in the countryside at my small farm. That time of the year we have a lot of snow, and little sunshine in Finland. Temperature was around -10 Celsius.

I was watching television, the South park was on. The cartoon was quite dull. I had been hearing all evening small voices inside my head, but I took no notice of them. I do not have a habit of hearing voices, except my own thoughts.

Then, at 23.00 I saw a small UFO passing thorough my yard at remarkable speed. It was a size of a football, and white bright. I thought that I had seen an illusion of something. An inner voice said to me it`s best to go to sleep. I turned off the lights and went my bedroom. Then things started to happen quickly.

I heard a very loud human female voice at the center of my head. I was amazed, but felt no fear. I had the radio on. She asked if the radio disturbed me, and I answered yes.I turned the radio off. And went to lie to my bed, at my back, looking to the ceiling.

I was starting to get very excited. The female voice said to close my eyes, which I did. She asked did I know who was I speaking to. At my surprise I answered that the Illuminati. She said that close enough, that they were the people of Illuminati.

Then a shock of light came on. I tried to open my eyes but I could`t. I got a bit scared, but they said do not fear. We spoke English, they with American accent.

I spoke with words, and they answered telepathically. I was amazed. I asked how this can be. They said don`t worry that now. And asked could we speak just telepathically, which I agreed. I have to admit, I was a bit stunned. I could not think strait.

Then I felt warm. It started inside of my body, and spread around. I felt very relaxed. I asked did they do something with my chakras. A female voice said that something like that.

They started asking questions about me, and I answered. The questions were of little importance. Somebody suggested that I`d be teleported. I asked how that could happen. No answer.

Then somebody, which I later understood as "a guardian" denied that. Not in this case. I asked were they would have teleported me to. Answer was: Three sister mountains, Oregon, USA.

They introduced themselves as part of the military of the U.S. The time I was communicating with them I felt strongly the presence a number of persons. Maybe tens. Somehow I could hear their thoughts, partially.

I asked was there a UFO nearby. Somebody laughed, and said just a small one, at the top of my apartment. Then they made a physical exploration on me. They measured my height, weight and genitals.

I felt they were communicating each other so that I couldn`t hear. Overall, at that occasion, "the abductors" were quite neutral, sometimes using rude language.

Later I learned a less polite side of abduction techniques. That night I saw nightmares. Later I realized that they were testing me. Trying to find out different sides of my personality. So, that kind of an abduction was the on the Thursday-night.

It`s kind a difficult to describe how things went on for few next days. It was on and off like abduction. I went on my daily routines. And the Illuminati space aliens had chat talks with me. And manipulated my mind as they liked.

The leader of the Illuminati, the 4-star general nicknamed "Pablo", made a suggestion for me to join them. I should have traveled to States, and they would had introduced me to their secrets. They didn`t want to reveal me too much at that point. But what I could make out was, that it was a question of mind control, on massive scale.

I did`t like the idea. I they knew that. They said that I should had to give up my body to remove myself to an alien one. They called their bodies ebes, extraterrestrial biological entities.

Question to why they chose me they answered that I was part of the Illuminati, wanted me or not. It had something to do what I had been on my previous life (what I can`t recall a single bit).

With the general and his "troops" were aliens from the future, the "guardians". I naturally asked how did I do in life. They replied that fine. They had a metallic voice. It was not a human voice.

Rather a computer type, generated voice, without any emotion. The "guardians" had all had American lives. All three of them three lives. But now melted as one. When I put this at paper all is a far memory.

The things they said did contradict with my personal beliefs. I didn't think about it at the time. I am sure they weren`t lying. They were not allowed to. We made a deal to meet next Tuesday 14.00 hours at a local restaurant here in Finland.

An American officer would travel there to talk to me about details. But this never took place.

In short, that was the three day "abduction" in winter 2004. It left many unanswered questions. Being a physician and having work experience on mental hospitals as a resident, I knew I wasn`t mad.

My self-confidence and clear reasoning enables me to explore this experience rationally. For someone else it might have been devastating. I just got depressed. Very depressed. I was forced to seek therapy.

The abduction experience was a jump from the known to the unknown. The impossible became possible. One is removed in front of the space aliens. A subject to their examination and testing. To violence. To mental mutilation.

The mind refuses to believe the happened. One strafes to fit in with the experience without success. After the experience one feels ashamed and depressed. Accusations and self-hate can emerge.

Rational mind tries to find explanations and reason. With no success. We are taught that mentally sick persons have this kind of experiences. Psychosis-type of mental disorder. The mass media ridicules the subject. Makes it look tedious or crazy. But it`s all but that to the victim.

Nobody believes you. Many times even the closest persons started to think is something the matter with our son.

I been a skeptic all my life. An active one. I even joined the local skeptic society as a young medical student. Living thorough this experience made me realize, that the reality we live in, is a matrix. A made concept of reality.

Big part of the planet do not know that the phenomenon is real. And the forces behind it are all human. Only the top of the pyramid knows the truth. Today they call themselves as the Illuminati.

I think we are governed with the technology of mind control. We always have been. Ancient civilisations knew this. They had esoteric wisdom and knowledge of the true nature of things.

When watching the world politics makes me think that hell is around us. And there is no hope of heaven or future without war, poverty, hunger and disequality. Many people are made to wait, and accept the third world war. Or rapture. Or whatnot nonsense.

I have had the privilege to have reliable contacts inside the military, and the police, who have confirmed me the state of things. Two ESA astronauts and a director of the ESA told me personally November 3 Th. 2001 about the space aliens. This happened before my abduction.

The information has helped me with the experience. In modern science there are results which confirm the possibility of telepathy and teleportation. I have found hundreds of surveys of this sort.

The achievements of the military technology are kept deep secret. No FOIA request will release them to the public. To accept the existence of the space aliens without personal experience may be an impossibility. Pure reason fights against this idea. I understand the skeptics deeply on that respect.

But the truth is breaking out.

All the best, Usko Ahonen
Ripped from FUFORA without permission.

I find it fascinating how these aliens travels across the space to touch our genitals during the night. :hum:

devogue

Post by devogue » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:13 pm

They're not aliens.

They're evolved humans who have time travelled back to see us.

Problem solved.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:16 pm

Har wrote: I find it fascinating how these aliens travels across the space to touch our genitals during the night. :hum:
Well in my case I could imagine why but, what's with their taste for 80oz bottle-swigging, wife-beating, sister-shagging hicks from Kansas?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:34 pm

Anyone who sees a UFO has to believe in one though. If they can't identify what it is they saw (and it was a flying object) it becomes a UFO by default. :dono:
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Being a physician and having work experience on mental hospitals as a resident, I knew I wasn`t mad.
Nope. Can't possibly be mad. This clinches it. The guy had work experience in mental hospitals FFS. How reliable a witness do you want!!

I guess there really are Illuminati out there measuring our bollocks right now. :nono:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur