Science and Politics

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Science and Politics

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:15 am

The Ideological Subversion of Biology

Jerry A. Coyne and Luana S. Maroja
SUMMARY: Biology faces a grave threat from “progressive” politics that are changing the way our work is done, delimiting areas of biology that are taboo and will not be funded by the government or published in scientific journals, stipulating what words biologists must avoid in their writing, and decreeing how biology is taught to students and communicated to other scientists and the public through the technical and popular press. We wrote this article not to argue that biology is dead, but to show how ideology is poisoning it. The science that has brought us so much progress and understanding—from the structure of DNA to the green revolution and the design of COVID-19 vaccines—is endangered by political dogma strangling our essential tradition of open research and scientific communication. And because much of what we discuss occurs within academic science, where many scientists are too cowed to speak their minds, the public is largely unfamiliar with these issues. Sadly, by the time they become apparent to everyone, it might be too late.
We’re all familiar with the culture wars that pit progressive Leftists against centrists and those on the Right. In the past, those skirmishes dealt with politics and sociocultural issues and in academia were restricted largely to the humanities. But—apart from the “sociobiology wars” of the seventies and our perennial battles against creationism—we biologists always thought that our field would avoid such struggles. After all, scientific truth would surely be immune to attack or distortion by political ideology, and most of us were too busy working in the lab to engage in partisan squabbles.
We were wrong. Scientists both inside and outside the academy were among the first to begin politically purging their fields by misrepresenting or even lying about inconvenient truths. Campaigns were launched to strip scientific jargon of words deemed offensive, to ensure that results that could “harm” people seen as oppressed were removed from research manuscripts, and to tilt the funding of science away from research and toward social reform. The American government even refused to make genetic data—collected with taxpayer dollars—publicly available if analysis of that data could be considered “stigmatizing.” In other words, science—and here we are speaking of all STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics)—has become heavily tainted with politics, as “progressive social justice” elbows aside our real job: finding truth.
In biology, these changes have been a disaster. By diluting our ability to investigate what we find intriguing or important, withholding research support, controlling the political tone of manuscripts, and demonizing research areas and researchers themselves, ideologues have cut off whole lines of inquiry. This will decrease human wellbeing, for, as all scientists understand—and as the connection between heat-resistant bacteria and PCR tests demonstrates—we never know what benefits can come from research driven by pure curiosity. But nourishing curiosity has a value all its own. After all, it doesn’t make us healthier or wealthier to study black holes or the Big Bang, but it certainly enriches our lives to know about such things. Thus, the erosion of academic freedom in science by progressive ideology hurts us both intellectually and materially.
Although biology has clashed with ideology at other times and places (e.g., the Soviet Lysenko affair, creationism, and the anti-vax movement), the present situation is worse, for it affects all scientific fields. What’s equally unfortunate is that scientists themselves—helped along by university administrators—have become complicit in their own muzzling.
Here we give six examples of how our own field—evolutionary and organismal biology—has been impeded or misrepresented by ideology. Each example involves a misstatement spread by ideologues, followed by a brief explanation of why each statement is wrong. Finally, we give what we see as the ideology behind each misstatement and then assess its damage to scientific research, teaching, and the popular understanding of science. Our ultimate concern is biology research—the discovery of new facts—but research isn’t free from social influence; it goes hand in hand with teaching and the public acceptance of biological facts. If certain areas of research are stigmatized by the media, for example, public understanding will suffer, and there will follow a loss of interest in teaching as well as in research in these areas. By cutting off or impeding interest in biology, the misrepresentation or stigmatization by the media ultimately deprives us of opportunities to understand the world.
We concentrate on our own field of evolutionary biology because it’s what we feel most compelled to defend, but we add that related ideological conflicts are common in sciences such as chemistry, physics, math, and even computer science. In these other areas, however, the clashes involve less denial of scientific facts and more effort toward purifying language, devaluing traditional measures of merit, changing the demographics of scientists, drastically altering how science is taught, and “decolonizing” science. Evolutionary biology has been especially susceptible to attacks on scientific truth because it deals with the most fraught topic of all: the origin and nature of Homo sapiens. We begin with a misconception about our species that’s become quite common.
The six examples:

1. Sex in humans is not a discrete and binary distribution of males and females but a spectrum.

2. All behavioral and psychological differences between human males and females are due to socialization.

3. Evolutionary psychology, the study of the evolutionary roots of human behavior, is a bogus field based on false assumptions.

4. We should avoid studying genetic differences in behavior between individuals.

5. “Race and ethnicity are social constructs, without scientific or biological meaning.”

6. Indigenous “ways of knowing” are equivalent to modern science and should be respected and taught as such.

https://skepticalinquirer.org/2023/06/t ... f-biology/
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Re: Science and Politics

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:32 am

Shared via Lawrence Krauss on twitter.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:44 am

"We are scientists. We know best."

It's interesting that it's often only The Left which are blamed or held to account in these kind of complaints - the focus of which is usually a proxy for a generational conflict between the old and the young, between those established within a system or hierarchy and those outside it who are seeking access.

It's also interesting that the article posits academia as a kind of objective endeavour that deals only in knowledge and truths, and as such naturally stands outside of or beyond "politics and sociocultural issues", while simultaneously advancing a particular political and sociocultural perspective. It has the feel of the 'political correctness' argument, just with different trousers on.

On the other hand, I don't think placing limits on the possble scope of academic endeavour is conducive to meaningful social progress (in the very broadest sense). But at the same time, academia is not an open field where researchers are able to pursue their interests free from prevailing social, political, and economic conditions and dynamics of the day - domains which clearly are not the sole preserve of The Left, strawmanned or otherwise.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:09 am

Brian Peacock wrote:"We are scientists. We know best."

It's interesting that it's often only The Left which are blamed or held to account in these kind of complaints -
I think it is because they expect better from their fellow lefties. It's a bit like how Marxists greatest foes are social democrats instead of right conservatives. It's their ideological neighbours who enable their ideological enemies.

Or more crudely, we expect nothing from conservatives, because they are cunts. But lefties are supposed to be better people.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:12 am

What's an example of the life sciences academia advancing a particular political and sociocultural perspective? Outside of the current complaint.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:33 am

it's well known that darwinists are either godless heathens, or far right neonazis
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:09 am

Dawkins tweeted it as well. Pity we aren't on rd.net anymore so we could watch the fireworks

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:30 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:12 am
What's an example of the life sciences academia advancing a particular political and sociocultural perspective? Outside of the current complaint.
I was only referring to the complaint. As I said, it's a version of the 'political correctness' charge - which itself is a claim to the correct, or at least a better, political perspective. But we could cite scientists that have taken a view on biology defined as sets of deterministic criteria that can justify the forced sterilisation of disabled people, or some other group of undesirables. My basic point though is that for all the high ideals of science, which are grand and noble and worthy etc, science as an endeavour cannot be separated from the "political and sociocultural issues" the article bemoans.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:21 pm

Glad rEv posted this because he would have called me a bigot if I had.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:56 pm

It would have depended on what commentary accompanied it. I posted without comment (probably because it is a fraught subject.. :shifty: )

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:06 pm

Cunt's insistence on "alternative facts" in every thread reminded me that I reviewed Hotez's book in Finnish. Google translated from my blog. Ask me if there is confusion. I did not read the translation.

Book cover:
https://esajii.blogspot.com/2023/10/tie ... isuus.html

Peter Hotez's book describes how anti-science has become problematic. It can even block research funding by the state.

Biology is still quite a mystery to the layman. Approaching it is political and grassroots activism. You can read about politics and the Fox News campaign to oppose science in the name of freedom in other books. Here, however, the opponents of vaccines are described quite accurately. The rear forces that are not immediately noticeable are also explained to some extent. Consumers are consumers of false information spread by a systematic machinery. You shouldn't base your opinion solely on social media.

Who benefits from anti-vaccination? Hotez mentions at least the trolls hired by Putin on social media. They spread misinformation about almost everything. Disinformation here and elsewhere and even the chaos of the pandemic were Putin's goals. Local groups then grab the false information to spread as facts. Scientists with important titles were also hired to invent false information. The book mentions Jeffrey Singer, who wants to popularize all science. It is no longer allowed to have scientists in the role of "gatekeeper", but with the help of the Internet, a person could gather the information himself and act on it. Even if a substance was found to be ineffective against corona, if there is no medical harm from it in a certain dose, a person could try any substance on himself.

There is also a large group of traffickers of "supplemenets" and "vitamins" on the Internet. Hydroxychloroquine and a couple of others were popular at the time of corona. The criteria by which medicines and vaccines are tested and developed are not easy to read with a layman's experience and school knowledge. It is easy to grasp the simplest explanation. It is easy to overstate the risks of vaccines. In the case of corona, it was not known that the mentioned risks and health problems in corona vaccines were the same, but more dangerous if you got corona yourself. The functioning of the immune system is not generally understood. Let's just understand that when you get the vaccine, you have to wait a while for the immune system to be ready to fight the virus. But fortunately, even that is clear. Those who have received the vaccine begin to doubt whether the vaccine was of any use if they got corona despite it. The statistics that support vaccines are tables, and they cannot be summed up in some Twitter-style message.

The book lists the political groups that operate in the area of ​​health care. There is also a paragraph about climate change and the opponents of its information. All the 6th of January riot groups, Proud Boys and the like, are involved in sending threatening letters to Peter Hotez. He entered the picture during the pandemic and was even on TV much more often than Anthony Fauci. Opponents of vaccines were already ready since 2015 in Texas and California. Then when Donald Trump was voted in as president, the opposition to science was in full swing. All state projects during the pandemic had to be modified as a deprivation of freedom. Public health works here at the state level. The state's recommendations were discussed there, and every state has a person in the pharmaceutical industry in charge of that. Public health works at the level of the masses and orders quarantines and tests for communicable diseases. Now it was seen only as an enemy of the individual and nothing was compromised if there was even a small risk to the individual. Before the pandemic, there was false information about vaccines and children's autism, but now we had to come up with other disadvantages. After all, it was mainly adults who were vaccinated.

At the local level, school parent councils first intervened in the use of masks because vaccines were not available to children at first. The same group is still operating and is now acting like Governor DeSantis by restricting anything related to gender and minorities in school books and instruction.

Hotez explains exactly what happened during the pandemic in a few chapters. In the rest of the book, he continues to offer communication as a solution. He himself, although he is mainly a researcher in a large hospital system in Texas, has gone to the media as a defender of science. Hotez proposes a campaign where famous people are hired to communicate in the media. They should be supported by organizations, so that the skeptics for a moment would agree to listen to the message. If the state hires the speakers, they won't be trusted.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...