The 'Replication Crisis' Appears to be Deepening

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

The 'Replication Crisis' Appears to be Deepening

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue May 25, 2021 6:57 am

In a clickbait world, science has moved with the times. Not a good thing, in this instance.

'The "Replication Crisis" Could Be Worse Than We Thought, New Analysis Reveals'
The science replication crisis might be worse than we thought: new research reveals that studies with replicated results tend to be cited less often than studies which have failed to replicate.

That's not to say that these more widely cited studies with unreplicated experiments are necessarily wrong or misleading - but it does mean that, for one reason or another, follow-up research has failed to deliver the same result as the original study, yet it still gets loads of citations.

Thus, based on the new analysis, research that is more interesting and different appears to garner more citations than research with a lot of corroborating evidence.

Behavioral economists Marta Serra-Garcia and Uri Gneezy from the University of California analyzed papers in some of the top psychology, economy, and science journals; they found that studies that failed to replicate since their publication were on average 153 times more likely to be cited than studies that had – and that the influence of these papers is growing over time. ...
The paper is open access:

'Nonreplicable publications are cited more than replicable ones'
Abstract:

We use publicly available data to show that published papers in top psychology, economics, and general interest journals that fail to replicate are cited more than those that replicate. This difference in citation does not change after the publication of the failure to replicate. Only 12% of postreplication citations of nonreplicable findings acknowledge the replication failure.

Existing evidence also shows that experts predict well which papers will be replicated. Given this prediction, why are nonreplicable papers accepted for publication in the first place? A possible answer is that the review team faces a trade-off. When the results are more “interesting,” they apply lower standards regarding their reproducibility.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: The 'Replication Crisis' Appears to be Deepening

Post by pErvinalia » Tue May 25, 2021 7:28 am

Cunt was right. Science is a hoax!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

aufbahrung

Post by aufbahrung » Tue May 25, 2021 7:56 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:28 am
Cunt was right. Science is a hoax!
Soft sciences are, been known for sometime by the folks who do proper science

WeAreAStableCountry

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue May 25, 2021 2:48 pm

Cunt wasn't right. Cunt relayed a much more coherent speaker on this subject.

Not sure if you also heard Weinstein talking about this subject. Or which of those brothers perspectives on it that you may have found interesting.

Media, as a (very well funded) block will frequently all shift together, to cover a given subject. If you can find an example where they were very dishonest, you can certainly find a bunch of 'science publications' they use to push their dishonest position.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.