What makes dogs so friendly?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

What makes dogs so friendly?

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:35 pm

Study finds genetic link to super-outgoing people

The text is more useful. Here are the last few paragraphs:
“The study is exciting because it provides such strong support for the ‘survival of the friendliest’” hypothesis of dog domestication, says Brian Hare, an evolutionary anthropologist at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, who was not involved in the work. In ancient wolves with these gene disruptions “fear was replaced by friendliness and a new social partner [was] created.”

“In a sense, this is the first paper discovering the genes related to the high sociability of dogs,” says Takefumi Kikusui, an animal behaviorist at Azabu University in Sagamihara, Japan, also not involved with the work. Humans too have high sociability relative to other primates. “Probably, these two species, namely human and dogs, use the same genes for these social behaviors.”

However, some experts think the study needs to be expanded to more dogs and wolves to be sure of the conclusions. With so few individuals “the associations are at most suggestive at this point,” Jensen says. Kikusui suggests they look for this gene-behavior connection in other populations of dogs and more individuals.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/07 ... ing-people

Another interesting question is why my dog acts like I'm a floating head. Or is it considered friendly in dog world to climb and step on everyone? --seriously

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: What makes dogs so friendly?

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:54 pm

Sometime toward the end of the last ice age, a group of humans armed with stone-tipped spears stalked their prey in the bitter cold of northeastern Siberia, tracking bison and woolly mammoths across a vast, grassy landscape. Beside them ran wolflike creatures, more docile than their ancestors and remarkably willing to help their primate companions hunt down prey and drag it back to camp. These were the world’s first dogs. Their descendants flowed both west and east, populating Eurasia as well as accompanying the ancestors of Native Americans as they spread into the Americas.

That’s the scenario laid out in a new study combining DNA data from ancient dogs and humans. The analysis, published today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, aims to end years of debate about where and when dogs were domesticated. It may even explain how wary wolves were transformed into faithful companions in the first place...

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01 ... -years-ago
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:44 pm

It's obvious. The constant repetition of "Who's a good boy? You are! Yes you are!" over the millennia have brainwashed them all!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:58 pm

Id both dogs and humans have the same genes that only mean it was Aliens that manipulated both our genomes sometime in the past!

AncientAliens!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:00 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:54 pm
Sometime toward the end of the last ice age, a group of humans armed with stone-tipped spears stalked their prey in the bitter cold of northeastern Siberia, tracking bison and woolly mammoths across a vast, grassy landscape. Beside them ran wolflike creatures, more docile than their ancestors and remarkably willing to help their primate companions hunt down prey and drag it back to camp. These were the world’s first dogs. Their descendants flowed both west and east, populating Eurasia as well as accompanying the ancestors of Native Americans as they spread into the Americas.

That’s the scenario laid out in a new study combining DNA data from ancient dogs and humans. The analysis, published today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, aims to end years of debate about where and when dogs were domesticated. It may even explain how wary wolves were transformed into faithful companions in the first place...

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01 ... -years-ago
My bison and mammoth hunting companion is truly ferocious.

And yes, Chloe gets her share of the bisons and mammoths we kill on the bitter hot sands of southeastern South Australia.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:55 am

They discovered the easiest way to survive was to wag their tales and smile at humans. Natural selection in action.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:57 am

Cats, on the other hand, is another story.

Will your cat eat your corpse?
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:18 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:57 am

This is concerning because...?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:33 am

They'd eat you when you are sleeping if they could get away with it.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:02 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:33 am
They'd eat you when you are sleeping if they could get away with it.
The video in the link explicitly says the opposite (0:56). :mrgreen:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:07 am

Yeah but cats are shit when compared to dogs.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:54 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:07 am
Yeah but cats are shit when compared to dogs.
You misspelled 'independent' and made it sound like it's a bad thing. When cats choose to be with someone you know they want to be with them, not because of some genetic disposition.

Back to shit. Cats bury theirs. They have a sense of decorum. Dogs dig it up and eat it. They are disgusting. :P

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:12 am

Hermit triggered. :yes:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:44 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:12 am
Hermit triggered. :yes:
And now you misspelled 'entertained'. Correcting people's spectacularly erroneous opinions regarding the divine descendants of gods and mulish canines is a lot more funner than trying to knit with fog. I really have spent too much time recently interacting with our purveyor of nonsensical vloggers.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:27 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:57 am

Mary Provost: she was a winner that became a doggie's dinner!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Prevost#Death

https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...