Organic Wine and Copper Sulphate

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Organic Wine and Copper Sulphate

Post by rainbow » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:24 am

[T]here are a lot of myths out there about organic foods, and a lot of propaganda supporting methods that are rarely understood. … Organic farming, just like other forms of agriculture, still uses pesticides and fungicides to prevent critters from destroying their crops. … It has been assumed for years that pesticides that occur naturally (in certain plants, for example) are somehow better for us and the environment than those that have been created by man. As more research is done into their toxicity, however, this simply isn’t true, either. Many natural pesticides have been found to be potential – or serious – health risks.

Consider Copper sulfate. It is one of many pesticides approved under the USDA National Organic Program. A number of studies show that it is highly toxic to humans, animals, beneficial insects and the environment. For example it is toxic to honeybees when used as a fungicide and a study showed extreme toxicity to bees in tropical environments (it was carried out in Brazil), where copper sulfate is used as a sprayed fertilizer (to provide heavy metal nutrients). In addition, some wineries in France, the US and elsewhere have backed away from growing organic wine because of accumulation of copper in the soil. Europe is considering banning the fungicide, causing a crisis and a potential split in the winemaking community, which relieves exclusively on copper sulfate as a fungicide.
https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2018 ... esticides/
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Organic Wine and Copper Sulphate

Post by JimC » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:02 pm

It has been assumed for years that pesticides that occur naturally (in certain plants, for example) are somehow better for us and the environment than those that have been created by man. As more research is done into their toxicity, however, this simply isn’t true, either. Many natural pesticides have been found to be potential – or serious – health risks.
Copper sulphate is not a "natural pesticide" - anything extracted from plants will biodegrade in time.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:08 pm

problem is whether the needed time is short enough that the produce can be eaten without exposure.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:03 am

Svartalf wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:08 pm
problem is whether the needed time is short enough that the produce can be eaten without exposure.
The copper sulphate doesn't enter the produce, but it gets washed out into the soil.
BArF−4

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:04 am

JimC wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:02 pm
It has been assumed for years that pesticides that occur naturally (in certain plants, for example) are somehow better for us and the environment than those that have been created by man. As more research is done into their toxicity, however, this simply isn’t true, either. Many natural pesticides have been found to be potential – or serious – health risks.
Copper sulphate is not a "natural pesticide" - anything extracted from plants will biodegrade in time.
Copper sulphate is found in nature as the mineral chalcanthite, but then so is arsenic, mercury and lead. Not to mention uranium.
BArF−4

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:16 am

BArF−4