9%
No
13%

Total votes: 23

macdoc
Twitcher

Re: What if Vegans are Actually Right?

Post by macdoc » Thu May 02, 2024 6:38 am

One persuades by positing evidenced positions with documentary support, not by supplying unsupported personal opinion however eloquently framed. :coffee:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Thu May 02, 2024 1:32 pm

macdoc wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 6:38 am
One persuades by positing evidenced positions with documentary support, not by supplying unsupported personal opinion however eloquently framed. :coffee:
And?

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Thu May 02, 2024 3:40 pm

“The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over.”

― Joseph Goebbels

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Thu May 02, 2024 8:37 pm

"Most quotes on the internet are made up"

- Abraham Lincoln
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu May 02, 2024 9:06 pm

rasetsu wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:45 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:42 pm
rasetsu wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:46 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:38 pm
I generally avoid talkimg about that in any detail, but broadly I coordinate a number of projects that help high school students across Scotland collaborate with students from developing countries overseas.
I meant more do you use it to persuade and/or argue in real life? How does your real life communication compare?
We develope a broad range of educational resources and activities for students, teachers, and youth workers.
I'm still not being understood. You said you worry less about persuading and winning arguments on the internet than developing your ability to express yourself well. What do you use the ability to express yourself well if it doesn't involve persuading and arguing? What use is eloquence if not put to use to persuade and create change?
I guess it's about trying to be sure of one's own footing, and informed enough to represent viewpoints fairly, concisely, and in an age-appropriate manner. Teachers appreciate facts for example, while children respond to stories they can relate to, and young people seems to like a mix. As I said, I don't like to go into detail about what I do IRL, but arguing with mac and others online has actually helped me figure out my own perspectives and allowed me to find ways to talk about things in more collaborative settings.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri May 03, 2024 11:06 am

:clap:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries