Total votes: 23

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Re: What if Vegans are Actually Right?

Post by rainbow » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:30 pm

macdoc wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:49 am
How do vegetarians taste ?? stringy ??? :biggrin:
Not at all. Get them young and tender, we say.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Split From: Ratzian news is the best news...

Post by rasetsu » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:45 am

macdoc wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:19 am
You don't "present" anything raetsu ...you opine and speculate.
I'm not advocating vegan, vegetarian, macrobiotic etc except reduced red meat consumption and offering some lower impact healthier allternatives.....the rest is your imagination.
Bullshit. I pointed out that your reasons for doing so were ideological, and instead of acknowledging that simple fact, you denied it and continued on with your inane ranting. You seem to forget where this began which was with me asking what's the point. You aren't taking care of future generations because the effects of what you are doing aren't significant enough to matter. Global warming is already at or past the tipping point and so your eating a few meatless meals isn't doing dick for future generations, all it's doing is furnishing you with a smug sense of superiority and relieving some guilt that you might otherwise feel.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:01 am

I tend to agree with rasetsu's broader point here. I don't believe we can consume our way to a better, more sustainable planet simply by buying 'ethical' or 'happy' meat, substituting-in some meat-alternative products here-or-there, or reducing personal consumption - if we are not also challenging the structures which support and maintain our wider systems of consumption, and the values which underpin them.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:47 am

:qoti: you vile red commie :angry:
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Moved From: Ratzian news is the best news...

Post by Strontium Dog » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:56 pm

JimC wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:16 am
Certainly a contradiction in terms:

"Plant based"

"Meatballs"

"Meat" as a word originally referred to any type of food; it is only relatively recently that its meaning was narrowed to animal flesh.

Veggies are reclaiming meat.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:25 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:47 am
:qoti: you vile red commie :angry:
More rainbowy that red these days 🌈 :dance:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:37 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:01 am
I tend to agree with rasetsu's broader point here. I don't believe we can consume our way to a better, more sustainable planet simply by buying 'ethical' or 'happy' meat, substituting-in some meat-alternative products here-or-there, or reducing personal consumption - if we are not also challenging the structures which support and maintain our wider systems of consumption, and the values which underpin them.
Your views are clouded by your ideological anti-capitalist stance. We've all got to be responsible for our part we play in emitting CO2. You can't just say, well I'm not going to do anything because... capitalism. That's shirking responsibility.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:27 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:37 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:01 am
Your views are clouded by your ideological anti-capitalist stance. We've all got to be responsible for our part we play in emitting CO2. You can't just say, well I'm not going to do anything because... capitalism. That's shirking responsibility.
If I'd said that you'd have a point - but I'm not saying it's pointless to take what steps one can to limit one's environmental impact (nor that we just need to flush the capitalists down the bog). What I'm suggesting is that consuming less or different kinds of stuff isn't the way to achieve a better, more sustainable world if one is not also actively engaged in attempting to understand and challenge the structures, systems and operating assumptions (values) which drive and decide what stuff is available to begin with, how it's made, where the raw materials come from, who has access to it and who doesn't, who/what is benefitting and who/what is being disadvantaged, etc etc.

In light of more structural or systematic approaches, declaring that one is a 'custodian of the future' for eating a veggie burger here-and-there comes across as somewhat... how shall I put it(?) ... hubristic.

Frank Zappa

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:44 pm

We are custodians of the future like it not and yes a shift in eating habits can have an major effect on AGW, biome preservation and land use policy.

It was said renewables could never replace coal etc ....now they are the cheapest form of energy.

It's hardly hubris to do what I am comfortable with to shift eating habits and promote products that are tasty and more environmentally sound ...being conscious of the fish I buy, less plastic packaging etc.
I don't think the vegans are correct health wise/ nutrition wise without hoop jumping to replace nutrients.
Free range meat replacements will and are getting cheaper and better and the cost of free range going up and up. I wince when I see meat prices at the store.

Relying on "institutions" to save the planets bacon :biggrin: is obviously flawed.
People and corps and institutions/NGOs govs all are playing a role.
Wringing hands and moaning as seems the way for some does nothing.

Ironically one of the good changes in cleaning up the impact of ocean shipping has resulted in the hottest ocean and atmosphere yet.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:44 pm

dup post - was hard to get on the board today
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:50 pm

All in your imagination .....Rae and you have presented nothing

I'm satisfied I'm doing some positives to shift habits and presenting alternatives to products that are environmentally destructive ...has nothing to do with smug.
Perv at least gets it - you don't.
I prefer my approach to your do nothing fatalism.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:09 pm

I'm steering a middle ground here. I'd say that there are a whole variety of personal choices, including eating less meat, that are worth doing, and will have some effect, particularly if many start doing them. However, such changes are only a relatively small part of what is required to have a serious impact on global warming. New technology is part of what is needed, but our efforts would be a lot more successful if there are structural changes in our political and economic systems...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:05 am

Dunno about small part ...14.5 % of emissions globally are meat related yet progress is being made
Australia making progress
In 2020, total GHG emissions attributed to the red meat industry were 51.25 Mt CO2-e, representing a 6.4% decrease compared to the previous year (2019) and a 64.9% decrease compared to the reference year of 2005. These emissions represented 10.3% of national GHG emissions in 2020.21 June 2023
these are individuals making choices on what to eat...
The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization reports that the consumption of beef per capita worldwide has declined for 15 years. Nearly a fourth of Americans claimed to have eaten less meat in 2019, according to a Gallup poll.3 Mar 2022
so yes those choices collectively make a huge difference.
Now some are ideological choices...animal cruelty or just plain stewardship - others financial. When I first visited a Maccers with my parents in the 50s $10 fed a family of four with burgers, fries and drinks.
With cost of living rocketing up disposable income drops....eating out drops ( we hardly ever now except me and fast food deals circa $5 ),
Fast-food brands Taco Bell, KFC and Pizza Hut, which are all operated by Yum Brands, are starting to see consumers pull back. Yum Brands recently reported weak sales growth for all three fast-food chains in its fourth-quarter earnings for 2023.7 Feb 2024
https://www.thestreet.com/restaurants/m ... for%202023.

Democracies have far more difficulty making decisions for massive infrastructure changes ( nuclear power etc ) as long as neanderthals keep getting elected.

It will take a million Manhattan projects at all levels to get AGW in some semblance of being controlled.
So much progress is offset by the forests burning especially in Siberia and Canada plus the methane being released in the same northern areas.
Very possible we've kicked it past any recovery to pre-industrial and future humans have a hotter world to deal with and short of a technical breakthrough for removing carbon....fugedaboudit.

The other aspect is upwardly mobile second world economies wanting more of the middle class rewards first world economies have, meat every day, cars for everyone and a bjillion ice scooters.

This should be required reading for every pol.
With its emphasis on scientific accuracy and non-fiction descriptions of history and social science, the novel is classified as hard science fiction.
Jim I think you'd really enjoy it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:53 am

Meh. You often cite The Ministry of the Future to specifically argue against the shifts in values and the kinds of action it advocates. If it's a manual for addressing climate change shouldn't we also be blowing up private jets, pipelines, and supertankers, imposing a moratorium on air travel, dissolving global corporations, employing UN blackops to manipulate media and governments, forcefully reformatting our systems of governance and representation to deliberately exclude capital interests, and deliberately refocusing our economies away from the systemic inequality, capital growth and asset price inflation that predominantly benefits the more-than-rich-enough to the detriment of everyone else, as well as massively upscaling science, engineering and infrastructure investment and development? How do you achieve the latter without some elements of the former? Without a coherent theory of change all you're doing is the equivalent of congratulating yourself for choosing the vegetarian option on a long haul flight while chiding the people you're flying over for simultaneously not doing enough and having unrealistic expectations.

Meat consumption per capita in Australia has actually increased in the last 10 years, meaning any carbon reductions from domestic production and processing must be being offset against increases elsewhere - so-called outsourced emissions - including additional impacts from transportation. And while agricultural commodity prices are predicted to rise steadily over the short to medium term returns to producers are predicted to continue to fall, which highlights a systemic economic imbalance that sees gains and revenues trickling upwards with increasing rapidity - if these systems remain unchallenged and continue to resist being reformed.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:00 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:53 am
Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Capitalist!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.