Farts and Climate Change

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Re: Farts and Climate Change

Post by Cunt » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:00 pm

The individuals going to meet about climate change want very much for the message to not focus on their individual climate-changing actions.
https://www.independent.co.uk/environme ... 42681.html
Experts have predicted up to 1,500 individual private jets flights will be made in and out of this year’s Davos summit, despite hosting a series of talks on the dangers of man-made climate change.

The World Economic Forum (WEF)’s annual meeting of global leaders is taking place in the Swiss resort town this week, with David Attenborough attending to offer a stark assessment of global warming trends.

But the Air Charter Service (ACS), a company arranging flights around the world, has estimated there could be a record number of carbon-emitting private jet flights in and out of Davos for the duration of the event.

The previous high was recorded at the 2018 summit.
It is a simple case of 'do as we say, not as we do'.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:05 pm

Animavore wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:52 am
JimC wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:00 am
Why can't we combine a certain amount of personal action with better government actions?
No one says we can't. The article doesn't say we can't.
What it does, however, is to fairly strongly pour scorn on the idea of giving advice to people as to how they can make some difference via their personal choices. I would agree that those are by no means a panacea, and that strong government policies in favour of large-scale renewable energy are vital as well. However, in Australia, for example, roof-top solar is starting to put downward pressure on the need for additional power stations...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Maybe cancelling the 'green card' of anyone flying to a climate change conference on a private jet would give the movement more authenticity.

Instead, these wasteful fucks will be pontificating about the dangers of burning fuel, for the rest of us.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:23 pm

I agree that reducing air traffic would help, but climate change conferences are just one of many, so it's a bit unfair to single them out. There should be a lot more virtual meetings and conferences - surely the technology for seamless virtual conferencing is mature by now.
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:41 pm

JimC wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:23 pm
I agree that reducing air traffic would help, but climate change conferences are just one of many, so it's a bit unfair to single them out. There should be a lot more virtual meetings and conferences - surely the technology for seamless virtual conferencing is mature by now.
I'm not talking about 'air traffic' (which would be a society problem) but about individuals going to a climate change conference via private jet.

It's like fighting for peace, or fucking for virginity.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:16 am

One of the unexpected benefits of climate change mitigation will be the rebirth of the intercontinental Zeppelin. Sydney to London will take three weeks. One dresses for dinner, of course. There will be a smoking room adjacent to the dining area for the gentleman. Havanas all around, and your finest brandy, my good fellow! Anyone fancy a rubber?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:17 am

laklak wrote:One of the unexpected benefits of climate change mitigation will be the rebirth of the intercontinental Zeppelin. Sydney to London will take three weeks. One dresses for dinner, of course. There will be a smoking room adjacent to the dining area for the gentleman. Havanas all around, and your finest brandy, my good fellow! Anyone fancy a rubber?
I could get behind this

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:21 am

Cunt wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:07 pm
Maybe cancelling the 'green card' of anyone flying to a climate change conference on a private jet would give the movement more authenticity.

Instead, these wasteful fucks will be pontificating about the dangers of burning fuel, for the rest of us.
Davos is NOT a climate change conference.

Why do you comment when you don't know this simple fact?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:30 am

Cunt wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:41 pm
JimC wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:23 pm
I'm not talking about 'air traffic' (which would be a society problem) but about individuals going to a climate change conference via private jet.

It's like fighting for peace, or fucking for virginity.
What part of "World Economic Forum (WEF)" is confusing you?
BArF−4

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:38 am

Those arguments aside, surely lots of organisations of various sorts (government, private or whatever) that hold international conferences or meet-ups should look very carefully at high-end video conferencing. Not only would it save on jet fuel, but surely it would be a lot less expensive for the organisations...
And my gin!

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:12 am

JimC wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:38 am
Those arguments aside, surely lots of organisations of various sorts (government, private or whatever) that hold international conferences or meet-ups should look very carefully at high-end video conferencing. Not only would it save on jet fuel, but surely it would be a lot less expensive for the organisations...
Absolutely. The only reason the WEF is discussing climate change at all is the effect it will have on the economy.
Also it is difficult to slip money under the table using video conferencing.
BArF−4

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:41 pm

rainbow wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:42 am
Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:18 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:30 am
Governments are the only way to solve this. It's not going to happen via private enterprise. And it's not necessarily a case of giving the government money. They can just shift the subsidies from fossil fuels to renewables.
There really aren't "subsidies" to the fossil fuel industry that can be "shifted" to another industry. https://www.forbes.com/sites/drillingin ... d45f966e1c
...except that the link you provided contain at leat one blatant lie:
In 2012 the top two corporations paying federal taxes in the US were ExxonMobil and Chevron CVX +2.15% paying a combined total of $45.2 billion.
According to Forbes these two companies together 'only' made $30billion in profit.

Explain how someone would pay a higher tax than they make in profit?
:smug: ...and remain in business? :smug:
Because not all the taxes they pay are federal income taxes.

ExxonMobil for example, incurred about $1.22 in taxes to federal, state and local taxing authorities for every dollar of net earnings.

That being said, I think you may be right about that sentence. I'm trying to confirm it, but I don't think the $45.2 billion figure is correct. Good eye.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:45 pm

BarnettNewman wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:17 am
laklak wrote:One of the unexpected benefits of climate change mitigation will be the rebirth of the intercontinental Zeppelin. Sydney to London will take three weeks. One dresses for dinner, of course. There will be a smoking room adjacent to the dining area for the gentleman. Havanas all around, and your finest brandy, my good fellow! Anyone fancy a rubber?
I could get behind this
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:47 pm

Hey 42 is back! :cheer:

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:48 pm

Yep dear old Vlad is back.

Must have been in training.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".