rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Re: Farts and Climate Change

Post by rainbow » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:42 am

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:18 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:30 am
Governments are the only way to solve this. It's not going to happen via private enterprise. And it's not necessarily a case of giving the government money. They can just shift the subsidies from fossil fuels to renewables.
There really aren't "subsidies" to the fossil fuel industry that can be "shifted" to another industry. https://www.forbes.com/sites/drillingin ... d45f966e1c
...except that the link you provided contain at leat one blatant lie:
In 2012 the top two corporations paying federal taxes in the US were ExxonMobil and Chevron CVX +2.15% paying a combined total of $45.2 billion.
According to Forbes these two companies together 'only' made $30billion in profit.

Explain how someone would pay a higher tax than they make in profit?
:smug: ...and remain in business? :smug:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:14 am

rainbow wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:20 am
Cunt wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:29 pm

Did you accuse him?

:blah: You can ask the question 10 more times and you'll get the same answer. :blah:

:ask: Does your local Adult Literacy Centre not have a reading comprehension course?
Do you think Forty Two is a climate change denier?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:51 am

Cunt wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:14 am
rainbow wrote:
Cunt wrote:

Did you accuse him?

:blah: You can ask the question 10 more times and you'll get the same answer. :blah:

:ask: Does your local Adult Literacy Centre not have a reading comprehension course?
What did I answer last time?
BArF−4

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:13 pm

You have to look at profit margins, not gross amounts. Oil companies don't make the list of to 15 most profitable industries, thought they're probably not far off the chart. They make billions because they are unimaginably huge concerns, and it's an expensive and often physically dangerous business. The most lucrative industry is accounting, you can thank government tax policy for that. The real estate sector is second, followed by healthcare.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sageworks/ ... 2f6c91310c

They pay more in tax than they make in profit because that 30 billion figure is after tax.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:53 pm

rainbow wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:51 am
Cunt wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:14 am
rainbow wrote:
Cunt wrote:

Did you accuse him?

What did I answer last time?
I guess since none of us think so, this thread is a waste of time.
laklak wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:13 pm
You have to look at profit margins, not gross amounts. Oil companies don't make the list of to 15 most profitable industries, thought they're probably not far off the chart. They make billions because they are unimaginably huge concerns, and it's an expensive and often physically dangerous business. The most lucrative industry is accounting, you can thank government tax policy for that. The real estate sector is second, followed by healthcare.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sageworks/ ... 2f6c91310c

They pay more in tax than they make in profit because that 30 billion figure is after tax.
Also, I like to look at the protesters, and figure out if they have a carbon footprint that matches their attack on industry.

You know which kids hate infrastructure? I can't figure it out. Maybe it's because they don't know anything about it.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:47 am

Cunt wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:53 pm

I assume when you mean "us", you are talking about you and your imaginary friends.

Why don't you talk to them and discuss why you're still posting and asking the same question over and over? :thinks:

:tut: Get back when you've come to some consensus. :tut:
BArF−4

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:07 pm

rainbow wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:47 am
Cunt wrote:

I assume when you mean "us", you are talking about you and your imaginary friends.

Why don't you talk to them and discuss why you're still posting and asking the same question over and over? :thinks:

By 'us', I meant you, me and Forty Two.

You keep wanting to bring others in it, that's ok. When you do, we can find out their opinion, too.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:26 pm

Great thread, this.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:35 am

Cunt wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:07 pm
rainbow wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:47 am
Cunt wrote:

By 'us', I meant you, me and Forty Two.
:smug: I'm not imaginary, so don't include me. :smug:
BArF−4

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:47 pm

It looks like only your imaginary friends want to talk about this, rainbow. Too bad you don't have an opinion of your own on the matter, I guess.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:33 am

Neoliberalism has conned us into fighting climate change as individuals

Stop obsessing with how personally green you live – and start collectively taking on corporate power

ould you advise someone to flap towels in a burning house? To bring a flyswatter to a gunfight? Yet the counsel we hear on climate change could scarcely be more out of sync with the nature of the crisis.

The email in my inbox last week offered thirty suggestions to green my office space: use reusable pens, redecorate with light colours, stop using the elevator.

Back at home, done huffing stairs, I could get on with other options: change my lightbulbs, buy local veggies, purchase eco-appliances, put a solar panel on my roof.

And a study released on Thursday claimed it had figured out the single best way to fight climate change: I could swear off ever having a child.

These pervasive exhortations to individual action — in corporate ads, school textbooks, and the campaigns of mainstream environmental groups, especially in the west — seem as natural as the air we breathe. But we could hardly be worse-served.

While we busy ourselves greening our personal lives, fossil fuel corporations are rendering these efforts irrelevant. The breakdown of carbon emissions since 1988? A hundred companies alone are responsible for an astonishing 71%. You tinker with those pens or that panel; they go on torching the planet.

The freedom of these corporations to pollute – and the fixation on a feeble lifestyle response – is no accident. It is the result of an ideological war, waged over the last 40 years, against the possibility of collective action. Devastatingly successful, it is not too late to reverse it.

The political project of neoliberalism, brought to ascendence by Thatcher and Reagan, has pursued two principal objectives. The first has been to dismantle any barriers to the exercise of unaccountable private power. The second had been to erect them to the exercise of any democratic public will.

Its trademark policies of privatization, deregulation, tax cuts and free trade deals: these have liberated corporations to accumulate enormous profits and treat the atmosphere like a sewage dump, and hamstrung our ability, through the instrument of the state, to plan for our collective welfare.

Anything resembling a collective check on corporate power has become a target of the elite: lobbying and corporate donations, hollowing out democracies, have obstructed green policies and kept fossil fuel subsidies flowing; and the rights of associations like unions, the most effective means for workers to wield power together, have been undercut whenever possible.

At the very moment when climate change demands an unprecedented collective public response, neoliberal ideology stands in the way. Which is why, if we want to bring down emissions fast, we will need to overcome all of its free-market mantras: take railways and utilities and energy grids back into public control; regulate corporations to phase out fossil fuels; and raise taxes to pay for massive investment in climate-ready infrastructure and renewable energy — so that solar panels can go on everyone’s rooftop, not just on those who can afford it.

Neoliberalism has not merely ensured this agenda is politically unrealistic: it has also tried to make it culturally unthinkable. Its celebration of competitive self-interest and hyper-individualism, its stigmatization of compassion and solidarity, has frayed our collective bonds. It has spread, like an insidious anti-social toxin, what Margaret Thatcher preached: “there is no such thing as society.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... xmzxCQPv88

For people who need to read it. Read it again. And keep reading it 'til they understand it. Then read it a few more times to be sure.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:00 am

Why can't we combine a certain amount of personal action with better government actions?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:03 am

rainbow wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:42 am
Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:18 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:30 am
Governments are the only way to solve this. It's not going to happen via private enterprise. And it's not necessarily a case of giving the government money. They can just shift the subsidies from fossil fuels to renewables.
There really aren't "subsidies" to the fossil fuel industry that can be "shifted" to another industry. https://www.forbes.com/sites/drillingin ... d45f966e1c
...except that the link you provided contain at leat one blatant lie:
In 2012 the top two corporations paying federal taxes in the US were ExxonMobil and Chevron CVX +2.15% paying a combined total of $45.2 billion.
According to Forbes these two companies together 'only' made $30billion in profit.

Explain how someone would pay a higher tax than they make in profit?
:smug: ...and remain in business? :smug:
Care to answer, 42?
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:30 am

Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:52 am

JimC wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:00 am
Why can't we combine a certain amount of personal action with better government actions?
No one says we can't. The article doesn't say we can't.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.