Remember when

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Remember when

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:25 pm

Smashed frogs filled the streets and you could always count on having several bee hives nearby to pester with a stick? Where have all the critters gone? Maybe I'm just enraged by a manipulative media, but I swear it's an event when I see a bee these days, and in 10 years my son has only ever brought me one frog.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: Remember when

Post by laklak » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:10 pm

I think the Chinee ate them all.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:38 pm

I blame Obama.

Amphibians are the victim of acid rain I believe. *sigh* Bees of Monsanto apparently *sigh*

laklak

Post by laklak » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:43 pm

It's illegal immigration, I tell you! All our toads have been eaten by Cuban tree frogs, and our native lizards supplanted by Caribbean green anoles. Don't get me started on hybrid mutant pythons.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:08 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:25 pm
Smashed frogs filled the streets and you could always count on having several bee hives nearby to pester with a stick? Where have all the critters gone? Maybe I'm just enraged by a manipulative media, but I swear it's an event when I see a bee these days, and in 10 years my son has only ever brought me one frog.
Our garden is full of bees - Bron chooses plants that they like...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:17 pm

I wonder how long it will be before the only animals left are humans and ones we like to eat...
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

laklak

Post by laklak » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:25 pm

Eventually just us and the cockroaches.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:32 pm

JimC wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:08 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the plant life around here hasn't changed much. There just aren't as many bees.

laklak

Post by laklak » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:47 pm

It's changed a fuckton around here. Back in the 60s and 70s there were huge swaths of undeveloped land, even on the barrier islands. There were farms, orange groves, cattle ranches, and lots and lots and lots of mangroves and swamp. Then Disney came in, and that fucking rat jump started the Rape of Florida. Now it's wall to wall highrises on the islands, and bloody ginormous "planned communities" stretching 30 miles inland, all full of pasty fat retired fuckers after Their Little Slice of the Florida Goodlife after slaving away in some rustbelt shithole for 60 years. Guess I can't blame them really, I'd wish them dead but it wouldn't do any good. They just keep coming, that's what they do, that's all they do. All that grassland and wild foliage has been replaced with Floritam sod and whatever plants Home Depot Garden Center sells. Nobody even pays attention when another sleazy asshole developer announces yet another 10,000 home planned community. They've completely destroyed the state. Didn't matter who the fuck was in Tallahassee, Democrat of Republican, they all immediately got down on all fours and presented their personal orifices to the developers and corporate vampires. I'm surprised there's a fucking bee or lizard or turtle left.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:53 pm

I’ve had two species of frogs routinely in wetlands. We have invasive bullfrogs brought ny French fur trappers. They could go. They eat bany shorebirds whole.

I do insects with 4th graders but we let bees fly off from the net. Never had a wasp in a net so far.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:36 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:32 pm
JimC wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:08 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the plant life around here hasn't changed much. There just aren't as many bees.
There's a real movement here to encourage bees by planting a variety of plants with flowers that bees like, with flowering seasons spread out through most of the year. It certainly helps to have lots of bees in your garden if you want to grow bee-pollinated food plants...

Perhaps you could look up what will work in your area. The more people who actively do such planting, the more bees there should be...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:48 pm

Good idea, I looked up how to get my yard registered as a wild habitat before, it sounded like a fun goal to shoot for....
Thank you for your interest in becoming recognized as having a Certified Texas Wildscape.
Due to the lack of staff and a current hiring freeze our agency is not currently able process, review, and approve new "Texas Wildscapes" or "Best of Texas Backyard Habitat Certification" applications.
We apologize for this inconvenience.
No excuse not to try for bees though!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:53 pm

We honest Morlocks must save ourselves, take to the mines and develop underground communities insulated from the environmental devastations to come. Those decadent liberal Elois can fend for themselves topside.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:46 am

Thanks, laklak, you bastard. I am not generally one to look back through rose-tinted glasses, but you sent me back somewhere that gives me the sads now.

If you drove south from Sydney for about 230 kilometres, you (used to) finish up in a small, sleepy fishing town. That would be Ulladulla. Just north of the pub is a golf course smack bang against some coastal rocks, and then there's this rocky point. The point possessed supernatural powers. The sea might be flat everywhere else, but with its magic it would generate the glassiest swells with long shoulders. Trouble was, you might have to share the lefts with other surfers. Half a dozen of them were no problem, but if the crowd grew to more than a dozen - yes this did happen - it was time to move on.

So, back into the Kombi, chug down the highway for another 20 kilometres, then hang a left into an unsigned, narrow dirt road. Five kilometres later it terminated at the south end of a small, unnamed beach. After accidentality pulling the no camping sign off the tree it was nailed on you'd pitch your tent on the small clearing of the headland, spread the wetsuit over a bush to let it dry, gather some wood, start a small fire, brew a cup of tea and look forward to the morning.

If the beach break is chopped up you'd walk to The Basin, a couple of hundred metres to the south. I don't know if that was its name, but that's what I and my mate called it. One end of the basin is officially named Bawley Point. I don't know why anyone bothered naming it. It is an insignificant feature and nobody had ever lived close to it. But we loved it. Being protected from the southerlies it would remain glassy when everywhere else got chopped up and mushy. Best of all, we pretty much had the spot to ourselves almost all the time, not counting the porpoises and the rare visiting shark.

One day we walked up to the point to be greeted by a mass of white survey pegs hammered or drilled into the ground. Well, here comes the fucking neighbourhood. That's the last time I visited the place. According to Google Maps, Bawley Point looks like this now:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak

Post by laklak » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:18 am

I was in elementary school on Anna Maria island in the 6th grade. 5 room school house, 5th and 6th grade were taught in one room by the same teacher. It had three tiny towns on it, with scrub pine forest and mangroves in between. No grocery story, one paved road, the beaches were basically deserted except for one area that had some public restrooms. We spent our days exploring the bay and Gulf on a 10 foot skiff with a 2 hp outboard. It was as close to paradise as an 11- 12 year old boy can get. This is it now:
Attachments
anna maria.jpg