A Step in the Right Direction

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

A Step in the Right Direction

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:00 am

Trying to advance the 'pErvin initiative' a bit-- The best way (I think) to wean Homo sapiens from its dependence on petrochemicals as an energy source is to turn towards renewable energy, but a portable and efficient means of delivery is essential. This looks like it may be of use:

'Novel hybrid catalyst to split water discovered'
Researchers from the University of Houston and the California Institute of Technology have reported an inexpensive hybrid catalyst capable of splitting water to produce hydrogen, suitable for large-scale commercialization.

Most systems to split water into its components -- hydrogen and oxygen -- require two catalysts, one to spur a reaction to separate the hydrogen and a second to produce oxygen. The new catalyst, made of iron and dinickel phosphides on commercially available nickel foam, performs both functions.

Researchers said it has the potential to dramatically lower the amount of energy required to produce hydrogen from water while generating a high current density, a measure of hydrogen production. Lower energy requirements means the hydrogen could be produced at a lower cost.

"It puts us closer to commercialization," said Zhifeng Ren, M.D. Anderson Chair Professor of physics at UH and lead author of a paper describing the new catalyst published Friday in Nature Communications.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: A Step in the Right Direction

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:32 pm

I don't have initiative. I can barely put my pants on most days... :shifty: (Anyway, I think it might have been Animavore who wanted to initiate some more sciencey stuff :whisper: Which I support, wholeheartedly!)
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:16 pm

You wear pants?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:55 pm

Hydrogen is made by electrolysis. You need the electricity to make another form to put in a bottle. And "gas stations" will get complicated. Like liquid propane tanks now but even more hazardous.
Most hydrogen is currently produced through steam methane reforming and coal gasification; those methods raise the fuel's carbon footprint despite the fact that it burns cleanly.
hydrogen is not produced as fuel but a bulk chemical. It is used for hydrogenation.

For example acetaminophen is made using nitro to amino conversion on the aromatic group. The scale is so large they use methane from the dump to generate the H2.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:18 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:32 pm
... I think it might have been Animavore who wanted to initiate some more sciencey stuff :whisper: Which I support, wholeheartedly!
Ah, OK. Hat tip to the esteemed Hibernian Animavore, so. :pardon:
Last edited by L'Emmerdeur on Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:24 pm

Tero wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:55 pm
Hydrogen is made by electrolysis. You need the electricity to make another form to put in a bottle. And "gas stations" will get complicated. Like liquid propane tanks now but even more hazardous.
Thus my reference to renewable energy sources. There are already hydrogen refueling stations online (see California, for example).

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:41 pm

What? You can refuel your car online?
Via USB or Thunderbolt?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

laklak

Post by laklak » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Man, I need that app. I just stopped at the gas station and had to wait for the car in front of me, and of course it was a fucking idiot who couldn't figure out how the fucking pump handle works, and then tried to squeeze an additional 0.015 gallons into the car by repeatedly squeezing the handle, only to be repeatedly stymied by the auto-shut off. Click - pump - click - pump - click. IT'S FUCKING FULL YOU IMBECILIC WET-BRAINED GENETIC MUTANT. Christ on a fucking crutch save me from humans. This is why I can't take anyone who wants to make the world "better" seriously. You can't make it better for ground apes because the fucking problem is ground apes in the fucking first place. Get rid of them and you've a half a chance, but nobody has the balls to do it. Give me the launch codes and I'll sort it right the fuck out.

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:43 am

laklak wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:35 pm
Man, I need that app. I just stopped at the gas station and had to wait for the car in front of me, and of course it was a fucking idiot who couldn't figure out how the fucking pump handle works, and then tried to squeeze an additional 0.015 gallons into the car by repeatedly squeezing the handle, only to be repeatedly stymied by the auto-shut off. Click - pump - click - pump - click. IT'S FUCKING FULL YOU IMBECILIC WET-BRAINED GENETIC MUTANT. Christ on a fucking crutch save me from humans. This is why I can't take anyone who wants to make the world "better" seriously. You can't make it better for ground apes because the fucking problem is ground apes in the fucking first place. Get rid of them and you've a half a chance, but nobody has the balls to do it. Give me the launch codes and I'll sort it right the fuck out.
Have you tried wanking?
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:06 am

Has he tried not wanking?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak

Post by laklak » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:18 am

"Not wanking". I know those words individually, but they make no sense together. "I don't drink beer" - same idea.