Relativity

Pogue

Relativity

Post by Pogue » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:46 pm

There was something I was wondering about because I’ve been thinking about thr implications of Einstein’s theory of relativity(which I haven’t studied much).Relativity says that if you are on a train and someone else is on the ground,then relative to the person on the train, the person on the ground is moving the other way. So, could you say that relative to the earth, the sun is revolving around it as opposed to the earth moving around the sun which is relative to the sun. Maybe one of those ancient philosophers(aristotle) were correct and the earth is at the centre of the universe if you use a certain frame of reference.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Relativity

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:53 pm

You could say that if you set the Earth as an unmoving fixed point by which to reference all other stellar bodies. You'd be silly to do so, not least you'd have a tough time accounting for Sun's orbit round all the other planets and the other planets' orbits around the Earth, but if you reduced the system to only two bodies, the Sun and the Earth, then you could do it, on paper as it were.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Pogue

Post by Pogue » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:11 pm

So there really isn’t any center of the universe if you don’t use a fixed point frame of reference?

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Yes! The center of the Universe is Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! All things are possible in Him! Praise His Holy Name!
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:32 pm

Another one? Get out the tambourines.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:56 pm

The sun and the earth (as well as the other planets) revolve around there common centre of gravity, which varies slightly all the time depending on their relative positions. Luckily is is very close to the centre of the sun most of the time. Of course.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:11 pm

And of course, the solar system orbits the super-massive black hole at the centre of our galaxy at a speed of c. 828,000 kmh and which, given our distance from the centre of the Milky Way, makes one 'Sol year' about 230 million Earth years.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 pm

The blink of a cosmic eye, really...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:25 pm

Pogue wrote:There was something I was wondering about because I’ve been thinking about thr implications of Einstein’s theory of relativity(which I haven’t studied much).Relativity says that if you are on a train and someone else is on the ground,then relative to the person on the train, the person on the ground is moving the other way. So, could you say that relative to the earth, the sun is revolving around it as opposed to the earth moving around the sun which is relative to the sun. Maybe one of those ancient philosophers(aristotle) were correct and the earth is at the centre of the universe if you use a certain frame of reference.
While straight line inertial motion is relative, rotation is absolute.

So you can't say the the Earth is stationary, and the Universe rotates around it under relativity.

Acceleration is also absolute. If you have two moving bodies, moving parallel to each other at the same constant speed, it's valid to consider them both as stationary, in one frame of reference.

But the same two, if they are both accelerating at the same rate, might look as if they are stationary relative to each other. But they are actually BOTH accelerating. And the acceleration is absolute, not relative.

Objects like the Earth, orbiting the Sun under gravity, are constantly accelerating towards the Sun. So the orbiting is also absolute, not relative.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:03 am

Pogue wrote:There was something I was wondering about because I’ve been thinking about thr implications of Einstein’s theory of relativity(which I haven’t studied much).Relativity says that if you are on a train and someone else is on the ground,then relative to the person on the train, the person on the ground is moving the other way. So, could you say that relative to the earth, the sun is revolving around it as opposed to the earth moving around the sun which is relative to the sun. Maybe one of those ancient philosophers(aristotle) were correct and the earth is at the centre of the universe if you use a certain frame of reference.
In terms of Special Relativity, no. That's because special relativity deals with "inertial frames", which are frames of reference that aren't accelerating. But both the sun and the earth are accelerating (both of them will be orbiting (i.e. accelerating) around their shared centre of gravity - which I assume would be very close to the sun, probably within the body of the sun). General relativity deals with space-time in gravity fields (or something like that). But the real point is that both the Earth and Sun revolve around each other (at their shared centre of gravity).
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:10 am

What makes the idea in the OP obviously wrong is the forces involved in rotation.

If you sit on a playground roundabout and spin, you will feel a force pulling you outwards.
You have to hold on and pull towards the centre to stay on.

It's those real forces that tell you that it's you that's rotating, and not the universe around you.
So it's not a case of inertial relativity, where either case is equivalent and true.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:04 pm

What I'd like to know is how acceleration affects special relativity. An example: We all probably know the train analogy regarding simultaneity. The order of events as observed from two inertial frames (i.e. non-accelerating) depends on which frame you are observing from. So event A might precede event B as observed by a person on a train going a set velocity past a station where a person there observes event B preceding event A. That's all standard Special Relativity. But don't forget that both the train and the platform are accelerating around the centre of the galaxy at some stupendous rate. But because they are both accelerating at the same rate, can we disregard the acceleration and apply the equations of Special Relativity as if no acceleration was occurring?
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:12 pm

I think the acceleration towards the centre of the galaxy is actually incredibly tiny.
If you consider that we only rotate around 360 degrees, and it takes 250 million years, compare that to the child on the roundabout, who does the same rotation in a few seconds.
So for practical purposes, I would say that it can be safely ignored.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:19 pm

Acceleration is m/s/s, not degrees/s/s.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Relativity differs from location to location. Your sister, for example, isn't a relative in Arkansas but is in New York.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.