Serious Light Speed Discussion

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Serious Light Speed Discussion

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:16 am

mistermack wrote:
cronus wrote:
mistermack wrote:Large objects that attain speeds approaching that of light will have had nearly infinite energy put into them to get to that point.
There is no mechanism in the Universe capable of doing that. So it will never happen.

But you can do it with incredibly small objects, if you build a gigantic Hadron Collider.

You can easily read up on it, and find out what they've observed so far.
99.99999% of the speed of light is quite sufficient for most practical purposes like interstellar travel.
Like I said, the energy required would be nearly infinite for something as big as a teacup.
And you would have to expend exactly the same at the destination, to slow it down and stop it.
Just go into an expanding orbit around a black hole.

What could go wrong?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:34 am

Lightspeed is quite easily acquired...

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:08 am

mistermack wrote:
cronus wrote:
mistermack wrote:Large objects that attain speeds approaching that of light will have had nearly infinite energy put into them to get to that point.
There is no mechanism in the Universe capable of doing that. So it will never happen.

But you can do it with incredibly small objects, if you build a gigantic Hadron Collider.

You can easily read up on it, and find out what they've observed so far.
99.99999% of the speed of light is quite sufficient for most practical purposes like interstellar travel.
Like I said, the energy required would be nearly infinite for something as big as a teacup.
And you would have to expend exactly the same at the destination, to slow it down and stop it.
But what about a cannibalistic matter conversion engine? The closer to the speed of light it goes, the more massive it becomes, and the mass is transferred into energy to make it go faster! Now it's just an engineering problem :{D
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:13 am

It doesn't actually become more massive. Only to an outside observer in a different inertial frame.

Actually I'm not even sure if it would get more "massive". It would elongate in length in the direction of travel from the frame of an observer. Does that actually make it gain mass?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:28 pm

It doesn't become more massive. It's rest mass remains the same. It gains what is called relativistic mass, which is just an expression to use to describe the total energy of the system. It's a controversial notion, as it's not really mass as normally understood.
It's the m in mc2 giving the total energy of a moving object.
The rest mass is the m in mc2 in the rest frame of the object.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.