Time to bin "race" as a Scientific Concept.

User avatar
rainbow
Posts: 8188
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:10 am
About me: Pre-Modernist
Location: Africa
Contact:

Time to bin "race" as a Scientific Concept.

Post by rainbow » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:40 am


Historically, when humans have drawn lines of identity—separating Us from Them—they’ve often relied on skin color as a proxy for race. But the 21st-century understanding of human genetics tells us that the whole idea of race is a human invention.

Modern science confirms “that the visible differences between peoples are accidents of history”—the result of mutations, migrations, natural selection, the isolation of some populations, and interbreeding among others, writes science journalist Elizabeth Kolbert. They are not racial differences because the very concept of race—to quote DNA-sequencing pioneer Craig Venter—“has no genetic or scientific basis.”
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/maga ... ite-biggs/
Äitisi nai poroja!

User avatar
Scot Dutchy
Posts: 8830
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:07 pm
About me: Dijk beschermer
Location: 's-Gravenhage, Nederland
Contact:

Re: Time to bin "race" as a Scientific Concept.

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:56 am

You dont read the National Geographic? :ab:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

User avatar
rainbow
Posts: 8188
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:10 am
About me: Pre-Modernist
Location: Africa
Contact:

Re: Time to bin "race" as a Scientific Concept.

Post by rainbow » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:You dont read the National Geographic? :ab:
Of course not.

We use it to start fires under the iron pots that we use to warm up the anthropologists.

:drool:
Äitisi nai poroja!

User avatar
cronus
Black Market Analyst
Posts: 17907
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:09 pm
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Time to bin "race" as a Scientific Concept.

Post by cronus » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:50 pm

Never liked that mag. Too expensive and aimed at the sort of science nobs who irritate by being grammar fascists in their spare time. Give me New Scientist any day. Saying that I must be one of the few people to have a digitized back catalog of National Geographic kicking about, albeit in pieces and neglected. I'll examine it for racialism's now I'm aware of what to look for to incriminate the ancient rag. :read:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

User avatar
Scot Dutchy
Posts: 8830
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:07 pm
About me: Dijk beschermer
Location: 's-Gravenhage, Nederland
Contact:

Re: Time to bin "race" as a Scientific Concept.

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:19 pm

rainbow wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:You dont read the National Geographic? :ab:
Of course not.

We use it to start fires under the iron pots that we use to warm up the anthropologists.

:drool:
You put it to good use. Well done :tup:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

User avatar
Scot Dutchy
Posts: 8830
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:07 pm
About me: Dijk beschermer
Location: 's-Gravenhage, Nederland
Contact:

Re: Time to bin "race" as a Scientific Concept.

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:22 pm

The National Geographic Channel was voted off our cable along with Fox. We have over 100 channels on our cable so it got pretty low.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

User avatar
NineBerry
Tame Wolf
Posts: 4289
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:35 pm
Location: nSk
Contact:

Re: Time to bin "race" as a Scientific Concept.

Post by NineBerry » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:16 pm

We should use the term "breed" instead of "race".

"I have a new boyfriend" - "What breed is he?"

User avatar
Scot Dutchy
Posts: 8830
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:07 pm
About me: Dijk beschermer
Location: 's-Gravenhage, Nederland
Contact:

Re: Time to bin "race" as a Scientific Concept.

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:34 pm

NineBerry wrote:We should use the term "breed" instead of "race".

"I have a new boyfriend" - "What breed is he?"
:funny:

Do we have kennel club names as well?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 58693
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Time to bin "race" as a Scientific Concept.

Post by JimC » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:22 pm

NineBerry wrote:We should use the term "breed" instead of "race".

"I have a new boyfriend" - "What breed is he?"
Mongrels are always the healthiest...

Hybrid vigour...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
NineBerry
Tame Wolf
Posts: 4289
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:35 pm
Location: nSk
Contact:

Re: Time to bin "race" as a Scientific Concept.

Post by NineBerry » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:37 pm

And the cutest...

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 46491
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Time to bin "race" as a Scientific Concept.

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:30 am

cronus wrote:Never liked that mag. Too expensive and aimed at the sort of science nobs who irritate by being grammar fascists in their spare time. Give me New Scientist any day. Saying that I must be one of the few people to have a digitized back catalog of National Geographic kicking about, albeit in pieces and neglected. I'll examine it for racialism's now I'm aware of what to look for to incriminate the ancient rag. :read:
New Scientist became clickbait a decade ago. Having said that, I've hardly read anything of theirs for a few years now, so they could have cleaned up their act. Somehow I doubt it, though.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"You know you blokes didn't criticize Obama. You're lying. - Forty Two. Umm - http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=42144

User avatar
laklak
Posts: 15300
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:07 pm
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Contact:

Re: Time to bin "race" as a Scientific Concept.

Post by laklak » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:10 am

National Geographic - my first stroke book. They showed tits. Second was the Sears catalog, no tits but drawings of women in night gowns and slips.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 46491
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Time to bin "race" as a Scientific Concept.

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:46 am

Yeah I was a fan of African and Amerindian tits when I was a lad.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"You know you blokes didn't criticize Obama. You're lying. - Forty Two. Umm - http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=42144

User avatar
Tyrannical
Posts: 6177
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:59 am
Contact:

Re: Time to bin "race" as a Scientific Concept.

Post by Tyrannical » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:02 am

rainbow wrote:

Historically, when humans have drawn lines of identity—separating Us from Them—they’ve often relied on skin color as a proxy for race. But the 21st-century understanding of human genetics tells us that the whole idea of race is a human invention.

Modern science confirms “that the visible differences between peoples are accidents of history”—the result of mutations, migrations, natural selection, the isolation of some populations, and interbreeding among others, writes science journalist Elizabeth Kolbert. They are not racial differences because the very concept of race—to quote DNA-sequencing pioneer Craig Venter—“has no genetic or scientific basis.”
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/maga ... ite-biggs/
That's unequivocally false and is just the same tired lie repeated by race deniers. An albino congoid is not caucasian.
they’ve often relied on skin color as a proxy for race
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

User avatar
rainbow
Posts: 8188
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:10 am
About me: Pre-Modernist
Location: Africa
Contact:

Re: Time to bin "race" as a Scientific Concept.

Post by rainbow » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:46 am

Tyrannical wrote: That's unequivocally false and is just the same tired lie repeated by race deniers. An albino congoid is not caucasian.
Do you have to work on being stupid, or does it come naturally?

8-)
It could be genetic.
Äitisi nai poroja!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest