Plastic twats

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Plastic twats

Post by Rum » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:25 pm

I'm a regular dog walker around the parks of Carlisle - and we are lucky to have so many. (I always pick up the poo!). Today I was walking through a big football/park field about the size of three football pitches. There had obviously been football training and local league games today and I counted over 80 (well I stopped counting at 80) discarded water and other bottles on the field. I was tempted to pick some up but it would not have made a dent in it. In past years the grass cutters just seem to mow through the stuff, shredding it and it all ends up washed into the Eden River and then of course out to sea. And that was just one Sunday.

Was thinking of writing to the parks people to express my concern. Perhaps they could get a message out to the football refs and trainers. Any thoughts?

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Re: Plastic twats

Post by tattuchu » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:43 pm

My only thought is, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THOSE PEOPLE ARE THEY FUCKING STUPID OR WHAT???
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:47 pm

tattuchu wrote:My only thought is, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THOSE PEOPLE ARE THEY FUCKING STUPID OR WHAT???
Yes, well that too of course. :nono:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:49 pm

Well I've emailed the parks department so we will see what response I get.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:52 pm

One of my local parks has a dead end trail with a loop at the end. Here, someone supplies runners small gatorade bottles. They drink them, toss them. The bottle suppliers collect the near by ones. But this being the prairie, the wind scatters them in hours. So far, less than 100.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 am

I recon action is one of the best defences against depression. So anyway I've emailed the Parks department and also joined a local non political environmental group called 'Sustainable Carlisle', which amongst other things gets groups together on a regular basis to clean up an area and get rid of plastic.

The key though is to stop fucking twats thinking it is OK to just chuck a bottle when they've finished with it.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:14 am

Put a deposit on it. Someone will always collect them. We have deposits on certain plastic bottles and glass ones. The plan is to increase them. Surprising what a different it makes. Kids hunt for them. Win win.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:32 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Put a deposit on it. Someone will always collect them. We have deposits on certain plastic bottles and glass ones. The plan is to increase them. Surprising what a different it makes. Kids hunt for them. Win win.
:cheer: :tut: :cheer:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Put recycling bins around the places people tend to discard plastic bottles...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:54 pm

We have a similar problem, but with the deposit you mentioned, folks do collect them.

We also have the same problem with dogshit. Dog owners are not picking up after their pooches, because they are fucking rude. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to give the 'Municipal Enforcement Officer' jobs to precocious high-schoolers. Imagine having a squeaky-voiced 15-18 year old issuing you a ticket for littering (or leaving dogshit).

It isn't worth much, but it would definitely be worth mocking the offenders a bit. Nothing says 'your an asshole' like having a kid point it out to you lol
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:40 pm

JimC wrote:Put recycling bins around the places people tend to discard plastic bottles...
But but...every Trump voter in our recreation areas drags the bottles and beer cans as far from the parking lots as possible, drinks, and discards. "Because i am a tax payer."
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Some environmental issues are really easy to fix. This is surely one of them, Trying to do my bit - however insignificant anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43363545

Microplastics are 'littering' riverbeds
By Victoria Gill

Media captionWatch: A look under the microscope to discover the hidden microplastics lurking in our waters

Microscopic plastic beads, fragments and fibres are littering riverbeds across the UK - from rural streams to urban waterways.

This is according to a study that analysed sediments from rivers in north-west England.

Scientists from the University of Manchester tested river sediments at 40 sites throughout Greater Manchester and found "microplastics everywhere".

There is evidence that such small particles can enter the food chain.

The findings, published in the journal Nature Geoscience, are the first from a "systematic basin-wide" study, the researchers say.

In a first round of tests, just one of the sites - in the upper reaches of the River Goyt, which is one of the tributaries of the River Mersey - contained no plastic. But when the researchers returned to that site to repeat their test, that area had become contaminated.

"I think that it is likely that there are even higher concentrations in some of the large rivers passing through global megacities," said lead researcher Dr Rachel Hurley.

"We just need to get out there and see. We still don't know the full scale of the microplastic problem," she told BBC News.

"Wherever you have people and industry, you will have high levels of microplastic," added Prof Jamie Woodward, from Manchester University's School of Geography.

Some parts of the River Tame contained more than half a million plastic particles per square metre of riverbed

To analyse river sediments, researchers isolated patches of riverbed and measured the concentration within those patches.

Some urban "hotspots" contained hundreds of thousands of plastic particles per square metre. This included a site at the River Tame in Denton - a downstream, suburban stretch of river - that contained more than half a million plastic particles per square metre.

"According to our literature search on microplastics in the ocean, in sediments on beaches, in lakes - and the small amount of data on rivers elsewhere - this is currently the highest concentration found anywhere," said Prof Woodward.

The scientists now want to investigate the specific sources of the plastic fibres, microbeads and fragments they found.

One recent study in the US linked wastewater treatment plants with the release of plastic into the environment. And the scientists think that wastewater is likely to make a large contribution - particularly of microfibres from synthetic clothing and microbeads.

"We welcomed the ban on microbeads in personal care products introduced earlier this year," said Prof Woodward. "And we want to monitor the effect of that ban.

"But microbeads are also used in industrial processes - in the moulding of larger plastic products. So there are likely to be multiple sources.

"In urban environments, microplastics may come from wastewater and sewer systems, from plastic litter that is broken up and fragmented, and even from the air. Sources may not be active all of the time, so they are difficult to track - but we are working on it!" said Dr Hurley.

The researchers gathered their first set of samples prior to the winter floods of 2015 and 2016. That extreme flooding was particularly severe in their river system - when weeks of heavy rain wreaked havoc in northern England, Northern Ireland and parts of Wales.

The team returned to the sites to see if the levels of plastic had changed. This revealed that the floods had "flushed out" approximately 70% of the microplastics stored in these riverbeds, equivalent to almost a tonne of plastic, or nearly 50 billion particles. It also eradicated microbead contamination at seven sites.

So the rivers are able to "cleanse themselves", the researchers explained. But, as Prof Woodward pointed out, "all of that will ultimately end up in the ocean".

Dr James Rothwell added that, since many of the particles this study detected were so small, they would simply slip through the filtration nets that are used, as standard, to sift microplastics out of the ocean.

"The implications of that are that we might well be underestimating by several orders of magnitude how much microplastic is in the oceans that has been delivered by rivers - flushed out during flood events," he said.

devogue

Post by devogue » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:13 pm

Some people are just fucking stupid. Always have been and always will be.

When I was a child we were taught not to litter - it's a very, very simple concept. We were also taught the Green Cross Code - look both ways and be safe when crossing a road. Again, very, very simple.

But some children are utterly fucking stupid, and they don't understand. They grow in to utterly stupid fucking adults, they throw shit about the place and they don't know how to cross a road. We should find a way to combine litter and road safety to kill them off.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:17 am

I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:21 am

Whenever I shop, I take my own bags...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!