"Tabby's Star" isn't surrounded by an alien Dyson Sphere

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: "Tabby's Star" isn't surrounded by an alien Dyson Sphere

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:12 pm

#SPACEFORCE #REACHFORTHESTARS
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Re:

Post by mistermack » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:11 pm

Dysons are shit. I regularly look on the freegle website, and dyson vacuum cleaners are regularly on there, usually with faults.

And the bagless gimmick is just that. Correct, there is no bag. But the filters clog really fast, and you have to constantly try to shake shit out of nooks and crannies where it shouldn't go.

A quality cloth bag, with a fine weave, is as good as anything. Just make it easy to access and empty.
I suppose the one improvement is that you can see the dirt, and empty it, whereas with the old ones you couldn't, so people never checked, and the dirt just backed up excessively.
But you could easily design a bagged one with a clear top, so that the dummies could see the dirt and empty them.
Forty years ago, cleaners used to have linen bags and 500 watt motors, and they worked fine, so long as you emptied the bag before it became jam packed.
Now they have 1500 - 2000 watt motors and modern fans. Loss of suction really is not a problem, unless you can't be assed to empty the bag.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re:

Post by Hermit » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:16 am

All that hype about the Dyson brand used to annoy me. Seven years ago I needed to buy a vacuum cleaner. Someone I knew happened to have on for sale. It was a fucking Dyson. Bought it anyway.

It turned out to be easy to use and thorough on any surface, be it carpet, rug, tile, lino or timber. And finally no more buying and fucking around with paper bags. Maintenance? I rinse the filter under a tap every six months or so.

Best vacuum cleaner I ever had.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re:

Post by laklak » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:23 am

We bought a Shark. Bagless, high suction, all the stuff Dyson has, but less than a quarter of the price. It's worked great for 7 years now,
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re:

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:55 am

I don't have any carpet. If I never have to have it again I'll be happy.

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:41 am

I have two bagless cleaners, and the bagless aspect is nothing special.
Yes, paper bags were shit. But before that, they used to have linen bags that were a piece of piss to empty.
No real difference to emptying the bucket on a bagless.
And when they say no loss of suction, that's bollocks. The cleaners forty years ago used to have much the same suction as today's bagless. And they had 500 watt motors, not the 1500 to 2000 watts you get today.
Most of the power is wasted in the "cyclone" whether it's empty or full.

Dyson is a marketing man, not really an inventor. He didn't invent the cyclone, or the bagless cleaner. He just made it trendy. He's good at what he does.

Vacuum cleaners can last 40 odd years plus, if they're well made. There's very little to them. That's why they constantly need gimmicks to sell them.
Cordless is the latest gimmick. I'm not sure if the batteries are going to last well enough for it to be an improvement. I never found the cable a problem myself.

Hermit

Re: Re:

Post by Hermit » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:55 am

mistermack wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:41 am
Dyson is a marketing man, not really an inventor. He didn't invent the cyclone, or the bagless cleaner.
Tell someone who cares. I currently use the best vacuum cleaner I ever owned, and it happens to be a Dyson. If it breaks before I drop off my perch and repair is not a sensible option, and an as good or better vac turns up, I'll buy that regardless of what brand it is.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:10 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:49 am
I'm still bummed about this. :lay:
Let's keep your personal life out of this :?
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks

Post by tattuchu » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:11 am

laklak wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:30 pm
Figures. The aliens finally come and do they bring a cure for cancer? The warp drive? Unlimited free energy? Nope. They bring a fucking vacuum cleaner. A ridiculously expensive, stupid looking vacuum cleaner. Send it to Urth, those morons will buy anything if you tell them it's "digital".
:hehe:

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks

Post by tattuchu » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:12 am

Woodbutcher wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:42 pm
Actually, that's where the Dyson vacuum cleaners send the dust...
:tup:

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Re:

Post by NineBerry » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:22 am

Everyone knows that advanced aliens have translucent artificial bodies and build translucent mega structures. These scientists know shit...

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:34 am

And what the fuck is a "Dyson digital motor" ?

Answer, same as any other brushless electric motor.

Bit more Dyson bullshit.

Actually, without the brushes in the motor, modern vacuums should last fifty years or more, if they're any good. Permanent magnets should never wear out, so they are probably deliberately building in faults to ensure they clap out a bit quicker.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:54 am

Hermit wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:55 am
mistermack wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:41 am
Dyson is a marketing man, not really an inventor. He didn't invent the cyclone, or the bagless cleaner.
Tell someone who cares. I currently use the best vacuum cleaner I ever owned, and it happens to be a Dyson. If it breaks before I drop off my perch and repair is not a sensible option, and an as good or better vac turns up, I'll buy that regardless of what brand it is.
I have a Dyson V8 and I agree. It is the best vacuum cleaner I have owned. Does the house in 15 minutes. As usual MM is talking crap.

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:13 am

Rum wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:54 am
I have a Dyson V8 and I agree. It is the best vacuum cleaner I have owned. Does the house in 15 minutes. As usual MM is talking crap.
Yeh, just like they all do.

It's amazing how some people gobble up the marketing spiel. I suppose if there were no mugs, nobody would have jobs. :funny:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:24 am

Rum wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:54 am
As usual MM is talking crap.
To be fair, marketing bullshit can be a greater contributor to sales success than the quality of the product being sold. MM's mistake is the assumption that successful marketing bullshit excludes the possibility that the product being marketed can be any good.