Carbohydrates (CHO) and Fibre - Energy Values

Alan B

Carbohydrates (CHO) and Fibre - Energy Values

Post by Alan B » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:43 pm

I keep a note of my energy and nutrition intake using the EU 'Back of Pack' nutrition labelling as a guide. (That is what is there for).

CHO has an average energy value of 4 kcalories per gram and fibre about 2 kcalories per gram.
Now, the EU regulation (1169/2011 Annex 1) seems to suggest that fibre, as defined, is not used by the human body to extract this energy:
Annex 1 para. 12
'fibre' means carbohydrate polymers with three or more monomeric units, which are neither digested or absorbed in the human small intestine and belong to the following categories: Then follows a list of fibre categories (can't copy 'n paste the pdf).

Am I correct in not including the fibre energy (since the human body does not appear to extract it) in my calculations and treating fibre as separate from CHO?

I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that the US food labelling system includes fibre (sorry, fiber) as part of the total CHO energy. Or perhaps their definition of, er, fiber is different from the EU?

Any comments?
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Re: Carbohydrates (CHO) and Fibre - Energy Values

Post by NineBerry » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:05 pm

The molecules in fibres cannot be directly absorbed by the intestines. But bacteria in the large intestines can break down these molecules and create molecules that the intestines can absorb and that are then used by the body. So, that is why the energy amount on the label now contains 2kcal per gram for fibres ( it didn't until five years ago in the EU). When counting calories, you have to include fibres.

However: All these numbers are only estimates. The numbers on the labels do not give 100% what energy you consume. This is also partly dependent on your individual body and how and what combination of foods you eat.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks. I wasn't sure.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:54 pm

I watched 'The Martian' last night. I don't think he'd survive on a potato a day.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Why not, the Irish did.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Well, you Pommie bastards thought we could.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:03 pm

The fiber is there and the bacteria use it. The food particles break down better and you absorb the remaining starch. But the energy of the fiber may go mainly to the food needs of the bacteria, not you. The bacteria in cows are massive amounts and the gut is longer. They can survive on fiber/ cellulose.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:34 pm

So, to include fibre as part of the body's energy supply or not...? :dunno:

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Yes, you need to include it, because the 2 kcal/g is the average amount of energy that the intestines can absorb from the energy in the fibres. The actual amount of chemical energy stored in the the fibres is much higher and other animals could get a lot more out of them than 2kcal/g.

But as I said before: You shouldn't think that the amount specified on the labels gives an accurate amount of how much energy you get from eating it. There are a lot of influences. If two people eat the exactly same stuff, they will get most likely get different amounts of energy from the food. It is also important whether you process the food or don't process it. For example, when you eat a spoon full of oats and then drink a glass of milk you will intake fewer calories than when you eat them together and then also fewer than when you first cook the oats in the milk.

Also, the average of 2kcal/g of fibres is only an average. The real amount depends on the actual type of fibres. But there is a certain limit of effort one is willing to put into getting more and more precise results.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:03 pm

I thought you Europeans had moved into the modern age and used SI units. What's with all this calorie shit? AND mixing it with an SI unit like kilo... :nono:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:42 pm

Legally, the labelling has to use Joule, but using kcal _additionally_ is still allowed and quite common.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:11 pm

The bacteria do break down cellulose and use the shorter bit for their energy needs. You as the host gain mostly body heat.

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:18 pm

I only worry about carb intake (excluding fibre) myself. Limit that to a sensible amount and you are cushty. No need to calorie count.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Moral fibre is what we are all lacking today, folks... :nono:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:56 am

I think that calorie counting isn't all it's cracked up to be.
It sounds simple, to just restrict yourself to a certain number of calories. But it's nearly impossible to control your weight that way.
If you don't satisfy your body's demands, the cravings are near enough impossible to fight, just with willpower.

So willpower needs help. To lose weight, you need to find foods that supply bulk without too many calories. Food that fills the gap, conning your body into thinking it's well fed, so that it doesn't set off the hunger switches in your brain.

Foods with a high water content, like lettuce, celery, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, onions etc etc, can do the trick. You need to eat lots of it, to get the same full feeling as high carb foods give you, but it does work, and you can lose weight without feeling hungry all the time if you apply it properly. Add a not excessive piece of lean steak or fish, and you have a balanced meal without high carbs that kills the cravings very well.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.