"Alt-left" Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: "Alt-left" Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Post by Hermit » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:14 pm

laklak wrote:You are correct, your "analogies" are more wickermen than strawmen. Much larger and they burn easily.
You're right - as long as you insist on conflating words with irreconcilable meanings.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:29 pm

I'm glad we're both correct, makes my day.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:53 pm

In case anyone missed it, Antifa are officially classified as "Domestic Terrorists" by the FBI and Homeland Security.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/0 ... fbi-242235

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:02 pm

The US is considered to be a rogue state by the rest of the world. Sanctions will follow...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:46 pm

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Neo-Nazism needs to be excised from society, but by non-violent means that respect the universality of Human Rights and the principles of a free and democratic society. Not by terrorism.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:59 am

Śiva wrote:In case anyone missed it, Antifa are officially classified as "Domestic Terrorists" by the FBI and Homeland Security.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/0 ... fbi-242235
Humungous state bureaucracy classifies anti-statists as terrorists...
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:10 am

Did you mean anti-fascists?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:14 am

No. They are predominantly anarchists, so they are technically for the abolition of the state, or thereabouts.

But that's not why they are out there on the streets. They are there to stop the rise of white nationalism and nazism. I'm not sure how that makes them terrorists. Fighting to keep the centre of politics in power doesn't sound like a very terroristic activity..
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:32 am

:tup:

No, calling them terrorists is pretty meaningless. If they clearly commit a violent assault that is not self-defence, observed by police, then they can and should be charged in the normal way for any assault. Otherwise, it's more of Trump's "both sides are the same" crap...
And my gin!

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:13 am

They're classified as terrorists because they've committed acts that fall under the definition - as the article explains. It's like you guys deliberately remain obtuse to maintain your stilted world view that paints these terrorists as oppressed 'good guys' fighting the 'good fight' against Fascism and Totalitarianism (maybe Capitalism and plain old law and order too).

Lucky for the rest of the world, these people are being denounced for what they are left, right, and center. Metaphorically and politically speaking.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:19 am

ARE THE ANTIFA TERRORISTS? FEDS HAVE REPORTEDLY CLASSIFIED THEIR ACTIVITIES AS ‘DOMESTIC TERRORIST VIOLENCE’

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has formally classified the activities of anti-fascist groups (antifa) as “domestic terrorist violence” since early 2016, according to confidential law enforcement documents obtained by Politico and interviews.

Federal authorities have reportedly warned state and local officials the antifa has become “increasingly confrontational” in efforts to thwart white supremacist groups.

Newly disclosed documents show authorities believed “anarchist extremists” were the main cause of violence at a number of public rallies. A confidential 2016 joint intelligence assessment by DHS and the FBI blamed the antifa for attacks on a range of targets, including police, government institutions and symbols of “the capitalist system.”

According to Politico, interviews showed federal authorities really became cognizant of the antifa amid the rise of Donald Trump, and law enforcement officials have claimed Trump’s rhetoric and policies helped catalyze left-wing extremism in the U.S.

One senior law enforcement official reportedly stated, “It was in that period [as the Trump campaign emerged] that we really became aware of them. These antifa guys were showing up with weapons, shields and bike helmets and just beating the shit out of people.... They’re using Molotov cocktails, they’re starting fires, they’re throwing bombs and smashing windows."

http://www.newsweek.com/are-antifa-terrorists-658396

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:44 am

Śiva wrote:They're classified as terrorists because they've committed acts that fall under the definition - as the article explains. .
The article doesn't mention a definition of terrorism once. Your biases are showing again. They are violent counter-protesters. They aren't trying to change society through terror. They are essentially fighting to keep it how it is.
Last edited by pErvinalia on Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:45 am

Śiva wrote:
ARE THE ANTIFA TERRORISTS? FEDS HAVE REPORTEDLY CLASSIFIED THEIR ACTIVITIES AS ‘DOMESTIC TERRORIST VIOLENCE’

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has formally classified the activities of anti-fascist groups (antifa) as “domestic terrorist violence” since early 2016, according to confidential law enforcement documents obtained by Politico and interviews.

Federal authorities have reportedly warned state and local officials the antifa has become “increasingly confrontational” in efforts to thwart white supremacist groups.

Newly disclosed documents show authorities believed “anarchist extremists” were the main cause of violence at a number of public rallies. A confidential 2016 joint intelligence assessment by DHS and the FBI blamed the antifa for attacks on a range of targets, including police, government institutions and symbols of “the capitalist system.”

According to Politico, interviews showed federal authorities really became cognizant of the antifa amid the rise of Donald Trump, and law enforcement officials have claimed Trump’s rhetoric and policies helped catalyze left-wing extremism in the U.S.

One senior law enforcement official reportedly stated, “It was in that period [as the Trump campaign emerged] that we really became aware of them. These antifa guys were showing up with weapons, shields and bike helmets and just beating the shit out of people.... They’re using Molotov cocktails, they’re starting fires, they’re throwing bombs and smashing windows."

http://www.newsweek.com/are-antifa-terrorists-658396
This is an article on an article. The same article you just posted. :fp:

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:55 am

Śiva wrote:They're classified as terrorists because they've committed acts that fall under the definition - as the article explains. It's like you guys deliberately remain obtuse to maintain your stilted world view that paints these terrorists as oppressed 'good guys' fighting the 'good fight' against Fascism and Totalitarianism (maybe Capitalism and plain old law and order too).

Lucky for the rest of the world, these people are being denounced for what they are left, right, and center. Metaphorically and politically speaking.
As I've posted several times, I have issues with them, in those circumstances where they have been violent to the opposition without it being self-defence. However, they are not plotting to blow things up, they are not plotting to target innocent civilians, in short they are not behaving as terrorists, at least when they target neo-nazi rallies as antifa members. (those of them that may also be involved in antiglobalisation rallies with the clear aim of trashing private and public property, and fighting police may start to approach that category)
And my gin!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:50 am

Why isn't all of this in an Antifa thread instead of persisting to artificially inflate this thread which isn't about anything?

On topic lolz.

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.