"Alt-left" Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: "Alt-left" Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Animavore wrote:Steve Bannon himself boasted Breitbart is a platform for the Alt Right. Breitbart's Alt Right. Bannon is Alt Right.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... bart-news/
He was interviewed by The American Prospect and outright called the "alt right" clowns and said that he wanted to crush the forces of "ethno-nationalism." Bannon is concerned with China, and economic issues. He's not racist or ethnocentric at all.

The Mother Jones article proves the point. The writer insists that Bannon "is" alt right, and supports racists, but buried in the article is the following "Bannon dismisses the alt-right’s appeal to racists as happenstance. “Look, are there some people that are white nationalists that are attracted to some of the philosophies of the alt-right? Maybe,” he says. “Are there some people that are anti-Semitic that are attracted? Maybe. Right? Maybe some people are attracted to the alt-right that are homophobes, right? But that’s just like, there are certain elements of the progressive left and the hard left that attract certain elements.”"

I.e. - Bannon acknowledges in that earlier interview that there are some crackpot racists attracted to the alt-right, but in the same way that of the progressive left and hard left attract "certain elements." He obviously is not in agreement with those fringe elements.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:18 pm

You're not getting it, 42, you obviously ain't woke. The fact that he denies he's a fascist racist white supremacist proves he's a fascist racist white supremacist.

Now y'all go on in the auditorium, the 10 Minute Hate is starting soon.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:20 pm

pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
pErvin wrote:
You wrote:There are no moderates to these people. There is no liberal to these people. Either you are in favor of punching Nazis or you are a white supremacist, tacitly supporting the worst people around. Either you are in favor of punching antifa, or you are are communist and Marxist yourself.
There are plenty of moderate anti-fascists.
Look, of course there are plenty of moderate antifascists. I'm a moderate anti-fascist. What I wrote there was "There are no moderates TO THESE PEOPLE."
What people? :think: I know of a number of people who march under the Antifa flag who aren't extremists. They're left of you, but they're not smashing shit up or punching anyone. They are just marching and waving their flags and chanting silly songs.
My god. To their opposition.

The tactic is that someone like Seth, or other conservative folks, will look at anyone who is an "anti-fascist" and accuse that person of being an extremist antifa communist Marxist. To him, to Seth, to people like Seth, and to the conservative media, the moderate left are lumped in with the antifa communist Marxists. That's the smear tactic. It's the same thing a lot of the left-leaning media does to moderates and conservatives - they're lumped in as "alt right."

Of course there are plenty of anti-fascists that aren't violent or punching people. I've never said otherwise. But, then again, I don't use the smear tactic to make a moderate leftist out to be a communist or marxist, if he or she doesn't espouse such principles.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:22 pm

laklak wrote:You're not getting it, 42, you obviously ain't woke. The fact that he denies he's a fascist racist white supremacist proves he's a fascist racist white supremacist.

Now y'all go on in the auditorium, the 10 Minute Hate is starting soon.
A few months ago he was the real power behind the Trump administration. He was Trump's Karl Rove, the shadowy figure who held the reigns in secret, because his bumbling "boss" couldn't possibly be competent enough.... now, of course, he's out on his ass on the whim of the bumbling boss, like happens to most of the real powers behind thrones and administrations in history....

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:24 pm

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:34 pm

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:37 pm

By the way, you're not not a racist just because you said so. In fact, people who have to lead off by saying they're not a racist usually are. I think that's a weak argument.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:40 pm

Unless you can throw the secret Antifa sign, you're probably a Nazi.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:53 pm

"....we are not aware of any anti-Semitic statements made by Bannon himself. In fact, Jewish employees of Breitbart have challenged the characterization of him and defended him from charges of anti-Semitism. Some have pointed out that Breitbart Jerusalem was launched during his tenure."

The "he gives a platform" argument doesn't fly with me. Amazon is "giving a platform" to Nazis, aren't they? https://www.amazon.com/Mein-Kampf-Adolf ... 817224164X

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:07 pm

Actually, given they do sell it as kindle, yes, they do
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:12 pm

I think it would be best if we just eliminated words that people used to describe evil things. Like, instead of just tearing down monuments, eliminate the word slavery from the lexicon, for example, we can decrease the range of wrongthink in our culture.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Forty Two wrote:I think it would be best if we just eliminated words that people used to describe evil things. Like, instead of just tearing down monuments, eliminate the word slavery from the lexicon, for example, we can decrease the range of wrongthink in our culture.
There's a strong element of that in PC speech, which at its worst can make people feel like real social outcasts if they don't know the latest nomenclature for a particular label associated with someone with the right to be offended.

Bill Bailey, one of my favourite comedians suggests and exemption pass for us more mature members of society who aren't quite up to speed with the latest hep cool names for shit.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:27 pm

Forty Two wrote:I think it would be best if we just eliminated words that people used to describe evil things. Like, instead of just tearing down monuments, eliminate the word slavery from the lexicon, for example, we can decrease the range of wrongthink in our culture.
double plus ungood
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:27 pm

One person's "mature member of society" is another person's "old white patriarchal misogynist."

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:30 pm

By tearing down statues of Robert E. Lee, we go a long way toward.... something. Instead of a statue honoring a Civil War general who is renowned as one of the greatest generals in American history from being displayed a the courthouse in Baton Rouge. Luckily, though, we'll still have a giant monument to and statue of Abraham Lincoln to see in our nations capital. He may not have wanted black people to vote or serve on juries, and he may have wanted, like any thinking man in his view would think, to keep the white race superior to the negro, but he freed slaves in states in open rebellion, so he's cool.