"Alt-left" Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: "Alt-left" Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:09 am

Forty Two wrote:The "he gives a platform" argument doesn't fly with me.
Not even when Bannon himself says of Breitbart: "We’re the platform for the alt-right"?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:49 am

That's just an alternative fact, Herm.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:59 am

Bannon distinguishes between people in general who are alt-right, which is not limited to racists, and the racists in the alt-right. http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/16/politics/ ... index.html The latter group he views as a small minority of clowns.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:08 am

Forty Two wrote:By tearing down statues of Robert E. Lee, we go a long way toward.... something. Instead of a statue honoring a Civil War general who is renowned as one of the greatest generals in American history from being displayed a the courthouse in Baton Rouge.
Lee's statues are not removed for being one of the greatest generals in American history. They are removed for him fighting on the side of slave owners. Same goes for Jackson et al.
Forty Two wrote:Luckily, though, we'll still have a giant monument to and statue of Abraham Lincoln to see in our nations capital. He may not have wanted black people to vote or serve on juries, and he may have wanted, like any thinking man in his view would think, to keep the white race superior to the negro, but he freed slaves in states in open rebellion, so he's cool.
Luck? Lincoln did not side with the slave owners during the civil war. The likes of Washington, Jefferson and other founding fathers of the USA are safe for the same reason.

I wonder how enthralled the German Jews would react if a statue of Erwin Rommel was erected anywhere in Germany. Or how the public at large might, for that matter.

Not a single one of the commemorations marking one of the greatest generals in American history depicts him heroically sitting in a tank. Apart from 22 streets in all of Germany and two military barracks bearing his name, there is just one stone built on a hill outside the town he was born in. It looks like this:

Front

Back

It mentions the usual stuff about integrity, chivalry, bravery and the need to honour all those who fell in battle that is customarily mentioned in relation to statues dedicated to prominent and high ranking soldiers. It does not mention that while Rommel never ordered or participated in any crimes against Jews or war crimes in general (oops), and while he was never a member of the NSDAP, he fought for and on behalf of the Nazis as best he could for as long as he could. For that reason I would like to see all commemorations of the Field Marshall removed. Removing them will not revise history. It will just remove any trace of honouring a major defender of the Third Reich.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:29 am

Forty Two wrote:Bannon distinguishes between people in general who are alt-right, which is not limited to racists, and the racists in the alt-right.
Yes. And contrary to what you just posted, Breitbart is, according to the person who runs it, a platform for the alt-right.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:53 am

Some of these latest comments should be moved to the Alt Right thread. While this thread should be left to die because their is no "alt left" to speak of.

:tea:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:59 am

I'm going to start an Alt Centre thread...

And we'll be parading pragmatism, reason and balance... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:07 am

Actually this whole thread should by moved to the Alt Right thread because using the term "alt left" and vaguely posting any article about any and every leftist group to try show an equivocation which isn't there is a subset of the Alt Right parading ignorance, stupidity, malice, etc.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:00 am

I'm totally confused by all the alt-[whatever] threads. Not sure why so many have been started.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:09 am

Watch out for a new forum; Alt-Ratz...
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:14 am

:lol:

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:00 am

JimC wrote:I'm going to start an Alt Centre thread...

And we'll be parading pragmatism, reason and balance... :tea:
Yeah, man. Fuckin' yeah! The voice of the alt-centre shall not be silenced! :{D

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:09 am

The alt-centre:

I raise my voice mildly at Nazis!

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:40 am

Here is our revolutionary chant:

"What do we want?"

"A reasoned discussion about compromise solutions that assist more people than the alternatives"

"When do we want it?"

"Sometime in the medium-term future when all the necessary discussions have been held"
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:44 am