Earth's Sixth Mass Extinction is 'under way'

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: Earth's Sixth Mass Extinction is 'under way'

Post by Animavore » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:22 am

The fucking delusion of right-wing dopes. One minute they're denying climate change. Next they're coming up with kooky solutions to solve a problem they don't believe exists...

We just need to stop pumping CO2 into the fucking air you twits.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:49 am

Mars? Yeah. It has poisonous soil. So that's a good start!
Hunt for life on Mars just got harder: Toxic chemical in martian soil is burning away any evidence of living organisms on red planet
Daily Mail - the Science Paper :prof:

Make our own planet is safe for habitation first before we visit other planets - if ever we get that far...

The Prime Directive (substitute 'other species' for 'other civilisations') should begin at home before we even consider jumping orff to other planets.

What's that old saying? "Charity begins at home?"
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Out with the old, in with the new lol
But mass extinctions are usually followed by a burst of biodiversity.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:32 pm

Tyrannical wrote:Out with the old, in with the new lol
But mass extinctions are usually followed by a burst of biodiversity.
Not really.
If you call biodiversity a diversity of forms and shapes, then that might be accurate. But I would class biodiversity as a diversity of genetic material, and mass extinctions reduce that kind of diversity.

It's like the Galapagos. You get a profusion of finches. It looks diverse, but they are all genetically very close.
That's what you get after mass extinctions. A great loss of genetic diversity, followed by what's left filling in the voids.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:55 am

Biodiversity has a specific definition.

And in any case, saying you get a burst of biodiversity after mass extinctions is like telling us that water is wet. Of course you get a burst. When you are starting at a relative zero point.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:19 am

This biodiversity will then take millions of years to develop into the multitude of connected species of the proportions we have today - with no memory of what caused the mass extinction in the first place - us.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:59 pm

pErvin wrote:Biodiversity has a specific definition.

And in any case, saying you get a burst of biodiversity after mass extinctions is like telling us that water is wet. Of course you get a burst. When you are starting at a relative zero point.
That post displays an amazing level of ignorance. You really are game to spout something, even when you know nothing.
I suppose you get points for being keen, if nothing else.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:16 pm

Biodiversity

Looks to me like there were periods of accelerated diversification following each mass extinction event.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:18 pm

You call that a specific definition? :funny:
In any case, if you start your measurement immediately AFTER a mass extinction, you are of course giving a completely false picture of what has happened.

Unless you also say that biodiversity is massively negatively affected by the same event.

It's like saying that severe injuries are the spur to a burst of healing. :D Amazing, Einstein !!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:36 pm

mistermack wrote:You call that a specific definition? :funny:
In any case, if you start your measurement immediately AFTER a mass extinction, you are of course giving a completely false picture of what has happened.

Unless you also say that biodiversity is massively negatively affected by the same event.

It's like saying that severe injuries are the spur to a burst of healing. :D Amazing, Einstein !!
No, I don't call that a specific definition. In fact, I never touched on the matter of definition at all. There are three of them, and I'm not in the mood to discuss definitions just now. All I wanted to show was that there was a relatively short period of accelerated increase of biodiversity after each mass extinction. It's plain to see, don't you think?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:05 pm

Hermit wrote:It's plain to see, don't you think?
No.

The graph clearly equates the "number of genera" directly with biodiversity.
The title below, on the wiki page, is more cautious. It says "Apparent marine fossil diversity during the Phanerozoic", apparent being the important word.
The presence of fossils is more a result of numbers than proof of diversity.
The fossils that they find after the extinction event might, and probably did, exist before, only in smaller numbers.

Lacking a "specific definition" of biodiversity, I'm happy with my own, which is mainly equivalent to genetic diversity, with some input from the shapes and form of life-forms.
Extinction events will obviously result in a loss of genetic information. That is eventually reversed by a long period of evolution involving new mutations, which is a slow process.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:13 am

mistermack wrote:
pErvin wrote:Biodiversity has a specific definition.

That post displays an amazing level of ignorance. You really are game to spout something, even when you know nothing.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:17 am

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:08 am

Cockroaches and Keith Richards, that's about all that will be left.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:21 am

mistermack wrote:
Hermit wrote:It's plain to see, don't you think?
No.

The graph clearly equates the "number of genera" directly with biodiversity.
Which is consistent with one of the three ways, variation at the genetic level, biodiversity can be measured.
mistermack wrote:The title below, on the wiki page, is more cautious. It says "Apparent marine fossil diversity during the Phanerozoic", apparent being the important word.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. Apparent means clearly visible or understood; obvious. It can also mean seeming real or true, but not necessarily so, but either way you cannot conclude that the graph is rubbish. On the contrary, it means "in so far as we can tell from the evidence we have, this graph represents what we know about marine fossil diversity" Fossil evidence being what it is, new discoveries are made all the time, but I do not anticipate a significant change in the chart as a result of them. Researchers are just understandably cognisant of the fact that more evidence may show up.