The rise of the machine

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: The rise of the machine

Post by JimC » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:45 am

I could pretend to be a machine, if that helps... :shifty:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:17 am

Semi-automated truck convoys get green light for UK trials
Make way for robo-trucks – Automated lorries travelling in tight “platoons” have been given the go-ahead for trials on UK roads. But motoring bodies fear the concept – where a lead truck controls the steering, acceleration and brakes of two following directly behind – could be a danger and a nuisance for ordinary motorists, obscuring road signs and blocking exits. “A three-truck platoon is longer than half a Premier League football pitch,” said Edmund King, the AA president. All the trucks have drivers on board ready to take control; roads authorities and the Transport Research Laboratory say the system aims to improve safety, fuel efficiency and reduce pollution.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... _clipboard
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:23 am

AI is coming to war, regardless of Elon Musk’s well-meaning concern

Elon Musk thinks we should ban Artificially Intelligent weapons before it’s too late and a galaxy of star researchers agree. This week, 116 of them wrote an open letter warning that time was running out. The danger is real – though it’s not the one the public often imagines, of some malign Skynet-like computer developing a mind and agenda of its own.

Yet the chances of any ban are slim to none.

Why would you want to outlaw battlefield AI? The most common fear comes via Hollywood – that an AI might decide to attack us on its own initiative. Think of the Terminator, Ex_Machina, or 2001 A Space Odyssey: it’s a recurrent theme. But the movie version is unlikely. Machines may eventually develop their own motivations, perhaps even their own consciousness, but we are a very long way from that; and if it ever comes, it will look far different to our evolved, biological cognition and motivations.

A second concern is that machines would be indiscriminate killers – perhaps targeting civilians. In one narrow sense, machines are likely to be rather more reliable than humans in shooting targets – they won’t feel the effects of fatigue, or fear, and they are much better at recalling previous examples.

Still, modern AI is extraordinarily poor at understanding context – think Apple’s Siri, but with guns. An AI can understand what you are saying literally – as when Siri effortlessly transcribes your words, no matter how thick your accent. But as Siri’s answers demonstrate, modern AI has very little idea what anything means. On the battlefield, is that person reaching for the gun to surrender, or shoot?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/rob ... 06121.html
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:35 am

Killer robots with AI are being developed by the USA, Russia and China right now. Nothing will stop those projects.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Smart missiles already choosing their own route to a target with Google Earth and decide what to hit when they get there.

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:15 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens with the first death from automated vehicles on public roads.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:17 pm

pErvin wrote:It will be interesting to see what happens with the first death from automated vehicles on public roads.
The Guardian and some other papers will publish an article about it. pErv will miss them all. The sun will also rise.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Ok, I should have been more specific. What I meant was driverless vehicles. And perhaps even more specifically, a platoon of semi-trailers going rogue. And skynet... :read:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:27 am

What if jihadists build an AI with a programmed need to kill infidels?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:48 am

:lol:

:?

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:34 am

Just imagine thousands of Terminators shouting "Allah Akbar"
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:22 am

JP Morgan lost control of their trading computer 2 years ago, but as long as it keeps making money....

Frank Zappa

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:40 am

My car tells me to have a rest if I cross the road lines too often. It dings at me, tells me I may need a rest and flashes a symbol of a steaming cup of coffee at me.

Bastard!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:46 am

My aunt used to drive down the inside lane of the motorway holding the steering wheel of her VW Beetle with her thighs so she could get on with her knitting. One of these smart cars which automatically steers you back to the centre of the lane would have been a boon to her.

Frank Zappa

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:10 pm

There's a YouTube channel called Two Minute Papers that I've been subscribed to for some time. They regularly publish videos showcasing the neat stuff AI is learning to do.

If that kind of thing interests you check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbfYPy ... nutePapers