Total Woo on the History Channel.

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator
About me: Trying to avoid existential despair.

Re: Total Woo on the History Channel.

Post by Existentialist1844 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:08 pm

I was going to start a thread about this, but it slipped my mind. I saw this episode last week. Though one thing does puzzle me: some of the structures that were built by ancient man seem very complicated. Were the resources around back then to build these structures?
"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

:pounce:

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:25 pm

Existentialist1844 wrote:I was going to start a thread about this, but it slipped my mind. I saw this episode last week. Though one thing does puzzle me: some of the structures that were built by ancient man seem very complicated. Were the resources around back then to build these structures?
(MB) They were built, weren't they? :tea:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:07 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Existentialist1844 wrote:I was going to start a thread about this, but it slipped my mind. I saw this episode last week. Though one thing does puzzle me: some of the structures that were built by ancient man seem very complicated. Were the resources around back then to build these structures?

Let me rephrase: I didnt know resources like that existed. Archaelogists have found many tools from primitive days. What tools could have shaped stones? Ever see how the stones perfectly fit into eachother, like a tetris game. You would need some complicated instruments to do a job like that. Im not saying it was aliens, Im just asking how it could have been done.
"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:26 pm

Existentialist1844 wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:

Let me rephrase: I didnt know resources like that existed. Archaelogists have found many tools from primitive days. What tools could have shaped stones? Ever see how the stones perfectly fit into eachother, like a tetris game. You would need some complicated instruments to do a job like that. Im not saying it was aliens, Im just asking how it could have been done.
If you are referring to the (Aztec / Inca?) stones in S. America that Von Daniken is so keen on mentioning. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that (contrary to EvD's book) they were made of fairly soft stone and had been made to fit by selecting stones that were nearly the right shape and then rubbing the two surfaces against each other to produce a neat fit. No mystery really - just plain old-fashioned human ingenuity.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:10 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:

If you are referring to the (Aztec / Inca?) stones in S. America that Von Daniken is so keen on mentioning. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that (contrary to EvD's book) they were made of fairly soft stone and had been made to fit by selecting stones that were nearly the right shape and then rubbing the two surfaces against each other to produce a neat fit. No mystery really - just plain old-fashioned human ingenuity.
Yes, those stones. I guess its an injustice to assume that ancient man wasnt smart enough to build such great structures.

Geoff
Pouncer

Post by Geoff » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:38 pm

JasonK wrote:Dude.
This is also the channel that has the monster show, all the religious shows that aren't purely historical, etc..
They do show the occasional good one. The "Evolve" series was very well done.
"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Geoff wrote:
JasonK wrote:Dude.
This is also the channel that has the monster show, all the religious shows that aren't purely historical, etc..
They do show the occasional good one. The "Evolve" series was very well done.
Right on both counts. What "Evolve" had to do with history as we know it is anyone's guess, but it was great to see it. 8-)
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:54 pm

Exi, I saw a show where they duplicated the "exact" fit of the stones by simply pushing them back and forth until they had worn away the protruding bits. A 20-ton stone makes an excellent grinder. And if you have fifty men on each side pushing it, the work goes quickly. For moving the stones, see an rational study of Easter Island.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:28 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Exi, I saw a show where they duplicated the "exact" fit of the stones by simply pushing them back and forth until they had worn away the protruding bits. A 20-ton stone makes an excellent grinder. And if you have fifty men on each side pushing it, the work goes quickly. For moving the stones, see an rational study of Easter Island.
It didn't help that Erik vonD claimed that the rock was too hard to grind - which was utter bollocks - but why spoil a good story with facts, eh?
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:31 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Ahhh, good point. I guess with enough man power its definitely possible.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:33 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Ahhh, good point. I guess with enough man power its definitely possible.
There's a valley on the west coast of Peru where they built over one hundred pyramids, including one with the largest volume of any pyramid ever found to date. Every time things went bad for them they'd abandon the old one and start a new one. This one area had enough manpower to that. Putting up some buildings is chum change in comparison.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”