Body Transplants Possible - Dr. Frankestein.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Body Transplants Possible - Dr. Frankestein.

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:34 am

A surgeon says full-body transplants could become a reality in just two years.

Sergio Canavero, a doctor in Turin, Italy, has drawn up plans to graft a living person’s head on to a donor body and claims the procedures needed to carry out the operation are not far off.

Canavero hopes to assemble a team to explore the radical surgery in a project he is due to launch at a meeting for neurological surgeons in Maryland this June.

He has claimed for years that medical science has advanced to the point that a full body transplant is plausible, but the proposal has caused raised eyebrows, horror and profound disbelief in other surgeons.

The Italian doctor, who recently published a broad outline of how the surgery could be performed, told New Scientist magazine that he wanted to use body transplants to prolong the lives of people affected by terminal diseases.

“If society doesn’t want it, I won’t do it. But if people don’t want it, in the US or Europe, that doesn’t mean it won’t be done somewhere else,” he said. “I’m trying to go about this the right way, but before going to the moon, you want to make sure people will follow you.”

Putting aside the considerable technical issues involved in removing a living person’s head, grafting it to a dead body, reviving the reconstructed person and retraining their brain to use thousands of unfamiliar spinal cord nerves, the ethics are problematic.

The history of transplantation is full of cases where people hated their new appendages and had them removed. The psychological burden of emerging from anaesthetic with an entirely new body is firmly in uncharted territory. Another hitch is that medical ethics boards would almost certainly not approve experiments in primates to test whether the procedure works.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... MP=soc_567
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Body Transplants Possible - Dr. Frankestein.

Post by Hermit » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:46 am

"told New Scientist magazine"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:07 am

A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Warren Dew

Post by Warren Dew » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:17 am

Doesn't seem like it would be fundamentally more difficult than doing it with dogs.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/soviet ... headed-dog

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:18 am

Warren Dew wrote:Doesn't seem like it would be fundamentally more difficult than doing it with dogs.
Can we move this to NSFW, please, so that I can post an informative picture of "doing it with dogs"? :tea:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:11 am

There must be lighting bolts delivered to the cadaver, and the nurses must all have hunch-backs and answer to the name "Igor"
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:36 pm

This has already been done with monkeys. The monkeys lived, but not for very long. Also, they didn't like it very much, having their heads cut off and put on another body, and bit the doctor/mad scientist. Also, they were paralyzed from the neck down. I thought that was the only thing holding this back, in theory, the paralysis thing. How can you regain function after the spinal cord is severed? If that were possible, then why do we still have paralyzed people?

Anyway, how long do you reckon it'll be before a brain can be placed in a robot body? :{D I mean, why keep the whole head? The only thing you really need is the brain. The rest is just a fleshy covering.
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:38 pm

You can't join up the spinal cords at the moment. But it's not far off.

A recent advance using nerve cells from the nasal passage got nerve cells to re-grow.
Nasal nerve cells are the only ones that have this ability. But it's on the cards that they will be able to re-connect spinal cord using that technique pretty soon.

So a head transplant would be feasible, if you could keep the brain and body alive long enough for the repair to happen. It would probably take years to get everything working though.
But so long as the breathing and heartbeat and vital organs could be connected up, you could take the patient off life support, and given time, maybe have fairly full mobility etc.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.