Black Hole Suns

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Re: Black Hole Suns

Post by mistermack » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:28 pm

Mysturji wrote:I think gravitational lensing is EXACTLY what Făkünamę described in the OP.
No, I wouldn't agree. I think there's a superficial similarity.
Făkünamę talked about light that grazes the event horizon of a black hole, but was just far enough out not to be sucked in. That's not gravitational lensing in the normal sense of the term.
A black hole is a tiny object, in space terms. A black hole that is up to fifty solar masses, would be only about 30km across. So the event horizon is tiny. Even one that is a million solar masses wouldn't be much bigger than the Earth.

Gravitational lensing is something that happens over a vast area of space, not around a tiny event horizon.
You just wouldn't get enough light grazing a 30 km sphere to be viewable from millions of light-years away.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Mysturji
Clint Eastwood
About me: Downloading an app to my necktop

Post by Mysturji » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:45 am

Scott1328 wrote:Wouldn't the light that approached so close to the even horizon become deeply red shifted?

Gravitational lensing can happen over inter galactic distances and a black hole is not required and certainly wouldn't result in a halo.
I think the question relates to what would happen with a black hole over shorter distances?
Sir Figg Newton wrote:If I have seen further than others, it is only because I am surrounded by midgets.
Cormac wrote:Doom predictors have been with humans right through our history. They are like the proverbial stopped clock - right twice a day, but not due to the efficacy of their prescience.
IDMD2
I am a twit.

Scott1328

Post by Scott1328 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Mysturji wrote:
Scott1328 wrote:Wouldn't the light that approached so close to the event horizon become deeply red shifted?

Gravitational lensing can happen over inter galactic distances and a black hole is not required and certainly wouldn't result in a halo.
I think the question relates to what would happen with a black hole over shorter distances?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:31 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:39 am

The Most Famous Paradox in Physics Nears Its End

In a series of breakthrough papers, theoretical physicists have come tantalizingly close to resolving the black hole information paradox that has entranced and bedeviled them for nearly 50 years. Information, they now say with confidence, does escape a black hole. If you jump into one, you will not be gone for good. Particle by particle, the information needed to reconstitute your body will reemerge. Most physicists have long assumed it would; that was the upshot of string theory, their leading candidate for a unified theory of nature. But the new calculations, though inspired by string theory, stand on their own, with nary a string in sight. Information gets out through the workings of gravity itself — just ordinary gravity with a single layer of quantum effects.

This is a peculiar role reversal for gravity. According to Einstein’s general theory of relativity, the gravity of a black hole is so intense that nothing can escape it. The more sophisticated understanding of black holes developed by Stephen Hawking and his colleagues in the 1970s did not question this principle. Hawking and others sought to describe matter in and around black holes using quantum theory, but they continued to describe gravity using Einstein’s classical theory — a hybrid approach that physicists call “semiclassical.” Although the approach predicted new effects at the perimeter of the hole, the interior remained strictly sealed off. Physicists figured that Hawking had nailed the semiclassical calculation. Any further progress would have to treat gravity, too, as quantum.

That is what the authors of the new studies dispute. They have found additional semiclassical effects — new gravitational configurations that Einstein’s theory permits, but that Hawking did not include. Muted at first, these effects come to dominate when the black hole gets to be extremely old. The hole transforms from a hermit kingdom to a vigorously open system. Not only does information spill out, anything new that falls in is regurgitated almost immediately. The revised semiclassical theory has yet to explain how exactly the information gets out, but such has been the pace of discovery in the past two years that theorists already have hints of the escape mechanism.

“That is the most exciting thing that has happened in this subject, I think, since Hawking,” said one of the co-authors, Donald Marolf of the University of California, Santa Barbara.

“It’s a landmark calculation,” said Eva Silverstein of Stanford University, a leading theoretical physicist who was not directly involved....

https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-blac ... -20201029/
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:25 am

Cosmology is voodoo.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:26 pm

Fairy voodoo.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:04 pm

if it ain't lwa voodoo, it ain't legit
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping