That's amazing ! Post incredible facts here.

DRSB

Re: That's amazing ! Post incredible facts here.

Post by DRSB » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:04 am

Hermit wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:33 am
DRSB wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:27 am
Time is an illusion anyway, ask the physics!
That's not what physics say. You're confusing them with psychics.
In theoretical physics, the problem of time is a conceptual conflict between general relativity and quantum mechanics in that quantum mechanics regards the flow of time as universal and absolute, whereas general relativity regards the flow of time as malleable and relative.[1] This problem raises the question of what time really is in a physical sense and whether it is truly a real, distinct phenomenon. It also involves the related question of why time seems to flow in a single direction, despite the fact that no known physical laws seem to require a single direction.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_time
We cannot even conceptualize it without using space as a metaphor.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:45 am

DRSB wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:04 am
Hermit wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:33 am
DRSB wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:27 am
Time is an illusion anyway, ask the physics!
That's not what physics say. You're confusing them with psychics.
In theoretical physics, the problem of time is a conceptual conflict between general relativity and quantum mechanics in that quantum mechanics regards the flow of time as universal and absolute, whereas general relativity regards the flow of time as malleable and relative.[1] This problem raises the question of what time really is in a physical sense and whether it is truly a real, distinct phenomenon. It also involves the related question of why time seems to flow in a single direction, despite the fact that no known physical laws seem to require a single direction.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_time
We cannot even conceptualize it without using space as a metaphor.
So physics doesn't relegate time to a state of mere illusion. It re-conceptualises it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:27 pm

Conceptualizing and reconceptualizing something we cannot really conceive of except in terms of space. We are measuring it but what are we really measuring?!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:19 pm

:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:33 pm

DRSB wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:27 pm
Conceptualizing and reconceptualizing something we cannot really conceive of except in terms of space. We are measuring it but what are we really measuring?!
It seems what we experience as humans is entropy - one result of a previous condition, the excercise of energy leading to the next. That seems to be ‘time’ for us. Whether it has some intrinsic property other than that which we cannot experience seems to be an open question.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:47 pm

While looking to connect quantum field theory with statistical mechanics, theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking introduced a concept he called imaginary time. Although rather difficult to visualize, imaginary time is not imaginary in the sense of being unreal or made-up. Rather, it bears a similar relationship to normal physical time as the imaginary number scale does to the real numbers in the complex plane, and can perhaps best be portrayed as an axis running perpendicular to that of regular time. It provides a way of looking at the time dimension as if it were a dimension of space, so that it is possible to move forwards and backwards along it, just as one can move right and left or up and down in space.
http://www.exactlywhatistime.com/physic ... ntum-time/

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:44 pm

Don't dream of stroking this beast!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:10 pm

My Russian is a bit rusty.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:06 am

DRSB wrote:
You are likely too organised and disciplined to miss an appointment, but if you ever turn up for one at 09:00 on a Thursday that was scheduled for 09:00 on a Wednesday I'd love to be a fly on the wall to witness the reaction if you explain your error to the interviewer by pointing out that "Time is an illusion anyway, ask the physics!" :hehe:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:45 am

Hermit wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:06 am
DRSB wrote:
You are likely too organised and disciplined to miss an appointment, but if you ever turn up for one at 09:00 on a Thursday that was scheduled for 09:00 on a Wednesday I'd love to be a fly on the wall to witness the reaction if you explain your error to the interviewer by pointing out that "Time is an illusion anyway, ask the physics!" :hehe:
Or when I charge an hourly fee and the person tells me "But time is just an illusion"! :thinks:

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:46 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:10 pm
My Russian is a bit rusty.
But you can watch. This is where it lives. Very difficult to catch and put a collar on.
https://www.boredpanda.com/pallas-cat-m ... gn=organic

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:13 am

Cockroach farming! Vegans, unite!

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Is this not a bastard?
Germany's Der Spiegel says star reporter Claas Relotius wrote fake stories 'on a grand scale'

Der Spiegel said Claas Relotius, one of its top journalists, had fabricated parts of more than a dozen stories.
Hong Kong (CNN Business)A top European news magazine has fired one of its star journalists after discovering that he had fabricated facts and sources in more than a dozen articles over a seven-year period.

"Claas Relotius, a reporter and editor, falsified his articles on a grand scale and even invented characters, deceiving both readers and his colleagues," Germany's Der Spiegel said in an article published online Wednesday.
The startling revelation is a heavy blow to Der Spiegel, a 71-year-old publication that's renowned for its quality journalism and read by hundreds of thousands of people in print and by millions online.
"I'm so angry, horrified, shocked, stunned," the magazine's deputy foreign editor Mathieu von Rohr tweeted. "Claas Relotius faked, he cheated all of us."
After a colleague working with Relotius on a story in the United States flagged suspicions about his reporting, Der Spiegel says it carried out an internal investigation. Relotius confessed last week that he invented entire passages for that article, and also falsified information in other stories, according to the magazine.
Relotius, who resigned Monday at the magazine's request, said he was sick and needed help, a Der Spiegel spokesman told CNN.
This is what Spiegel explains: http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/gesellscha ... 44579.html

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:29 pm

Indeed, what a bastard.

It must be so easy though. I bet it happens all the time elsewhere.