That's amazing ! Post incredible facts here.

Joe

Re: That's amazing ! Post incredible facts here.

Post by Joe » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:15 am

Volkswagen has stored about a half million cars it had to buy back because they rigged them to pass emissions testing.
As Bloomberg reports, the German automaker agreed last year to buy back about 500,000 diesels that it rigged to pass U.S. emissions tests if it can't figure out a way to fix them. Except for a handful of 2015 models, VW dealers can't sell the cars until - and unless - the company comes up with repairs to satisfy regulators. The question they face then is - what to do with the hundreds of thousands of diesel cars it is being forced to buy back?

Well, now we know... the company is hauling them to storage lots across America...

VW spokeswoman Jeannine Ginivan said "the program is unprecedented in terms of its size and scope and we have devoted significant resources and personnel to help ensure that it is carried out as seamlessly as possible."
Here's the one I drive by on my way to work.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:08 am

Hermit wrote:
DRSB wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:World's longest underwater cave system discovered in Mexico by divers.

A group of divers has connected two underwater caverns in eastern Mexico to reveal what is believed to be the world's largest flooded cave, a discovery that could shed light on the ancient Maya civilisation. The Yucatán peninsula is studded with monumental relics of the Maya people, whose cities drew on an extensive network of sinkholes known as cenotes. Some cenotes had religious significance to the Maya, whose descendants remain in the region.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ifero-maya
Yes, the caving groups on FB are buzzing with this.
You've probably seen the long version of the caves published in all its high definition on Youtube here, here and here then. It was posted over a year ago. Gobsmackingly beautiful.

It's a pity that aboveground developments are threatening its existence, and treasure hunters will rob it like 19th century grave robbers in Egypt. Already a teapot that had lain intact at the bottom of a cave for centuries has been smashed by some rogue speleologist two years after its discovery. How much might be that pristine, possibly 2000 year old Mayan skull be worth on the black market? Unfortunately a site stretching across a thousand square kilometres, and accessible via hundreds of entry points, is impossible to keep safe. The documentary invites any number of greedy adventurers to pay it a visit, perchance to strike it rich. Risky, yes, but there are plenty of idiots around.
Not everybody who goes it a cave is a speleologist. There are treasure-seekers everywhere and they hate speleologists. In Bulgaria it is full of them, seeking stuff that legends say was dug in when the Turks came. They have even cut the ropes of speleologists. I have see their diggings, sometimes in solid rock in attempts to enter if the main entrance is blocked or locked.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:15 am

DRSB wrote:
Hermit wrote:
DRSB wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:World's longest underwater cave system discovered in Mexico by divers.

A group of divers has connected two underwater caverns in eastern Mexico to reveal what is believed to be the world's largest flooded cave, a discovery that could shed light on the ancient Maya civilisation. The Yucatán peninsula is studded with monumental relics of the Maya people, whose cities drew on an extensive network of sinkholes known as cenotes. Some cenotes had religious significance to the Maya, whose descendants remain in the region.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ifero-maya
Yes, the caving groups on FB are buzzing with this.
You've probably seen the long version of the caves published in all its high definition on Youtube here, here and here then. It was posted over a year ago. Gobsmackingly beautiful.

It's a pity that aboveground developments are threatening its existence, and treasure hunters will rob it like 19th century grave robbers in Egypt. Already a teapot that had lain intact at the bottom of a cave for centuries has been smashed by some rogue speleologist two years after its discovery. How much might be that pristine, possibly 2000 year old Mayan skull be worth on the black market? Unfortunately a site stretching across a thousand square kilometres, and accessible via hundreds of entry points, is impossible to keep safe. The documentary invites any number of greedy adventurers to pay it a visit, perchance to strike it rich. Risky, yes, but there are plenty of idiots around.
Not everybody who goes it a cave is a speleologist. There are treasure-seekers everywhere and they hate speleologists. In Bulgaria it is full of them, seeking stuff that legends say was dug in when the Turks came. They have even cut the ropes of speleologists. I have see their diggings, sometimes in solid rock in attempts to enter if the main entrance is blocked or locked.
I did mention greedy adventurers. It's all very horrible either way.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:50 am

One of my caving friends wrote on FB:
Got the go ahead from work... In April I'm heading down to southern Mexico as a member of the 2018 Sistema Huautla cave diving expedition! I'll be part of a team of divers from all over the world converging on the deepest cave in the western hemisphere, exploring the cave and pushing the explored limit of this extensive system. We'll be underground for days/weeks at a time, moving all of our exploration and camping gear through several sumps and 5km of explored passage just to reach the real beginning of the project... I'll be in north Florida for the last week of March to dust the snow off of my dive gear, then headed to Oaxaca Mexico for 3-4 weeks of the expedition. Can't wait!
The site of the expedition for those who want to know more: https://www.beyondthesump.org/

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:10 am

The Netherlands is No. 1 in the world for having the most plentiful, nutritious, healthy and affordable diet, beating France and Switzerland into second place.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:05 am

NineBerry wrote:
The Netherlands is No. 1 in the world for having the most plentiful, nutritious, healthy and affordable diet, beating France and Switzerland into second place.
??? :food: :soup: :tup:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:47 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
NineBerry wrote:
??? :food: :soup: :tup:
This is why they are so tall and big, men and women alike.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:01 pm

There are (so it seems) so many more these days. At 1.85m I used to have a chance but now it seems less and less. There was a group of girls in the supermarkt the other day. I only reached tit height. It was very unnerving. :lol:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:34 pm

As my Dad used to say, when you're nose to nose your toes is in it, when you're toes to toes your nose is in it.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:11 am

IMG_20180204_010939.jpg
The aliens are already among us

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:28 am

I for one welcome our new miniature horny alien insect overlords!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:22 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:There are (so it seems) so many more these days. At 1.85m I used to have a chance but now it seems less and less. There was a group of girls in the supermarkt the other day. I only reached tit height. It was very unnerving. :lol:
Oh, just give them a hug.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:28 am

I find that recruitment is governed by the same principles as dating, it is about the match.
People write too much about their ex-employers in their motivation letters. It is the same as talking about your ex. "I had 3 children with my ex", is you dating partner to infer that you are available to have 3 children with them? I never realized this analogy but now I spot this immediately.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:33 am

Doesn't seem like the best analogy, given experience is the most important thing for employment.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:06 pm

pErvinalia wrote:Doesn't seem like the best analogy, given experience is the most important thing for employment.
Experience yes, but not too much, just enough.
And I don't want to hear how you took your ex to peak experiences, I wanna know what you can do for me and with me.