That's amazing ! Post incredible facts here.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Re: That's amazing ! Post incredible facts here.

Post by Cunt » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:17 pm

Ivermectin proves itself, but not good enough for youtube.

Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:06 am

Only three persons are known to have been killed by a centipede.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:23 am

--clever bastids then...

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:41 am

What about geese?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat

Post by Woodbutcher » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:50 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:41 am
What about geese?
No documented cases of deaths. They aim to maim.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:53 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:41 am
What about geese?
Exactly!
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat

Post by Woodbutcher » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:02 am

Lalochezia is using swearing to ease pain!
"Yo". Rocky

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:32 am

The rate of growth in the number of computer chips being produced is set to exceed the total energy capacity of the world by 2045.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:44 am

Luckily we'll have fusion by then. Any day now..
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:44 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:32 am
The rate of growth in the number of computer chips being produced is set to exceed the total energy capacity of the world by 2045.
Linkiepooh?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:14 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
:prof: Not exponential but a sigmoidal growth curve. :prof:
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:26 pm

rainbow wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Is that in absolute terms or normalised?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:36 pm

Hermit wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Linkiepooh?
Heard it on the radio - stated without qualification. Might track it down when I'm back on the PC, unless the librarian has a spare five minutes...

Frank Zappa

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:06 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:26 pm
rainbow wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Is that in absolute terms or normalised?
It depends on whether one is computing hypergeometric functions using a Fourier Transform of the generalized logistic growth curve.
BArF−4

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:20 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:36 pm
Hermit wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Linkiepooh?
Heard it on the radio - stated without qualification. Might track it down when I'm back on the PC, unless the librarian has a spare five minutes...
The librarian tried to find a link to a nonsense passed off as an incredible fact, but gave up when he began to suspect that it is borne of a gross misunderstanding of something the Alvin Toffler type futurologist Ray Kurzweil wrote in his 2005 haymaker titled The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology.

Here is a useful summary of his speculation the above nonsense is probably based on:
Kurzweil explains that evolutionary progress is exponential because of positive feedback; the results of one stage are used to create the next stage. Exponential growth is deceptive, nearly flat at first until it hits what Kurzweil calls "the knee in the curve" then rises almost vertically. In fact Kurzweil believes evolutionary progress is super-exponential because more resources are deployed to the winning process. As an example of super-exponential growth Kurzweil cites the computer chip business. The overall budget for the whole industry increases over time, since the fruits of exponential growth make it an attractive investment; meanwhile the additional budget fuels more innovation which makes the industry grow even faster, effectively an example of "double" exponential growth.

Kurzweil says evolutionary progress looks smooth, but that really it is divided into paradigms, specific methods of solving problems. Each paradigm starts with slow growth, builds to rapid growth, and then levels off. As one paradigm levels off, pressure builds to find or develop a new paradigm. So what looks like a single smooth curve is really series of smaller S curves. For example, Kurzweil notes that when vacuum tubes stopped getting faster, cheaper transistors became popular and continued the overall exponential growth.

Kurzweil calls this exponential growth the law of accelerating returns, and he believes it applies to many human-created technologies such as computer memory, transistors, microprocessors, DNA sequencing, magnetic storage, the number of Internet hosts, Internet traffic, decrease in device size, and nanotech citations and patents. Kurzweil cites two historical examples of exponential growth: the Human Genome Project and the growth of the Internet. Kurzweil claims the whole world economy is in fact growing exponentially, although short term booms and busts tend to hide this trend.

[...]

A fundamental pillar of Kurzweil's argument is that to get to the Singularity, computational capacity is as much of a bottleneck as other things like quality of algorithms and understanding of the human brain. Moore's Law predicts the capacity of integrated circuits grows exponentially, but not indefinitely. Kurzweil feels the increase in the capacity of integrated circuits will probably slow by the year 2020. He feels confident that a new paradigm will debut at that point to carry on the exponential growth predicted by his law of accelerating returns. Kurzweil describes four paradigms of computing that came before integrated circuits: electromechanical, relay, vacuum tube, and transistors. What technology will follow integrated circuits, to serve as the sixth paradigm, is unknown, but Kurzweil believes nanotubes are the most likely alternative among a number of possibilities:

nanotubes and nanotube circuitry, molecular computing, self-assembly in nanotube circuits, biological systems emulating circuit assembly, computing with DNA, spintronics (computing with the spin of electrons), computing with light, and quantum computing.

Since Kurzweil believes computational capacity will continue to grow exponentially long after Moore's Law ends it will eventually rival the raw computing power of the human brain. Kurzweil looks at several different estimates of how much computational capacity is in the brain and settles on 1016 calculations per second and 1013 bits of memory. He writes that $1,000 will buy computer power equal to a single brain "by around 2020" while by 2045, the onset of the Singularity, he says the same amount of money will buy one billion times more power than all human brains combined today. Kurzweil admits the exponential trend in increased computing power will hit a limit eventually, but he calculates that limit to be trillions of times beyond what is necessary for the Singularity.
My emphasis
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould