Science news of the day thread.

macdoc
Twitcher

Re: Science news of the day thread.

Post by macdoc » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:56 am

Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:45 am

What's a great idea?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:41 am

read it and find out lazy sod.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:45 am

Post an excerpt like everyone else, you lazy sod.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:18 pm

I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:10 pm

macdoc wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:41 am
read it and find out lazy sod.
It's polite to give some idea of what you're linking to. It helps those of us on limited bandwidth decide if we would like to read it.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:07 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:52 pm
Bumblebees get a buzz out of playing with balls, study finds

Bumblebees are associated with lives of work rather than play, but researchers have for the first time observed the insects playing with balls for enjoyment, just like humans and dogs.

A team of UK scientists watched bees interacting with inanimate objects as a form of play and said the findings added to growing evidence that their minds are more complex than previously imagined.

Lars Chittka, a professor of sensory and behavioural ecology at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL), said bees were “a million miles from the mindless, unfeeling creatures they are traditionally believed to be”.

She added: “There are lots of animals who play just for the purposes of enjoyment, but most examples come from young mammals and birds. This research provides a strong indication that insect minds are far more sophisticated than we might imagine.”

The findings, published in the journal Animal Behaviour, were based on a series of experiments where bumblebees were found to repeatedly roll balls when given the option, despite no apparent incentive to do so. Younger bees were found to roll more balls than older bees, while adult males rolled for longer than their female counterparts.

The researchers designed an experimental arena where 45 bumblebees were given the option of either walking through an unobstructed path to get a treat or going into areas with wooden balls.

According to the researchers, individual bees rolled balls between one and 117 times over the course of the experiment, and the repeated behaviour suggested ball rolling was rewarding, the team said...
C'mon you bees!
I'm reminded of a George Carlin routine where he observed that squirrels which were fed cannabis were more likely to play with their nuts rather than store them.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:11 pm

One of the most consumed drugs in the US – and the most commonly taken analgesic worldwide – could do a lot more than simply take the edge off your headache.

Acetaminophen, also known as paracetamol and sold widely under the brand names Tylenol and Panadol, also increases risk-taking, according to a study from 2020 that measured changes in people's behavior when under the influence of the common over-the-counter medication.

"Acetaminophen seems to make people feel less negative emotion when they consider risky activities – they just don't feel as scared," explained neuroscientist Baldwin Way from The Ohio State University when the findings were published.

"With nearly 25 percent of the population in the US taking acetaminophen each week, reduced risk perceptions and increased risk-taking could have important effects on society."

The findings add to a growing body of research suggesting that acetaminophen's effects on pain reduction also extend to various psychological processes, lowering people's receptivity to hurt feelings, experiencing reduced empathy, and even blunting cognitive functions.

In a similar way, the research suggests people's affective ability to perceive and evaluate risks can be impaired when they take acetaminophen. While the effects might be slight, they're definitely worth noting, given acetaminophen is the most common drug ingredient in America, found in over 600 different kinds of over-the-counter and prescription medicines.

(Science Alert)

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:42 pm

Blimey.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:27 pm

Paracetamol has a limited number of mechanisms of action. One of the lesser ones has to do with
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabino ... nnabinoids
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:35 pm

Yeah. But if you smoke weed and take paracetamol then you might be prone to slightly riskier behaviour but you really can't be arsed to get off the sofa unless there's chocolate involved!

Frank Zappa

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:09 pm

Now you are getting to the fringes of measurable things. Like how chocolate works. And where all the lost luggage end up. Saturn's rings are suspected.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:50 pm

Sperm counts worldwide have halved over the past five decades, and the pace of the decline has more than doubled since the turn of the century, new research shows.

The international team behind it says the data is alarming and points to a fertility crisis threatening the survival of humanity.

Their meta-analysis looked at 223 studies based on sperm samples from over 57,000 men across 53 countries.

It shows for the first time that men in Latin America, Asia, and Africa share a similar decline in total sperm counts and concentration as previously observed in Europe, North America, and Australia.

The authors warn that the mean sperm count has now dropped dangerously close to the threshold that makes conception more difficult, meaning couples around the world may encounter problems having a baby without medical assistance.

(Euronews.net)

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:00 pm

Gilead was right!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:21 pm

My sperm count may be low but at least my boobs are fantastic.

Frank Zappa