Science news of the day thread.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Science news of the day thread.

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:42 pm

The Niels Bohr Institute doesn't exist until you enter the car park.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:00 pm

:lol:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:42 pm

good read
The Observer
Interview
‘I feel like a man from another era’: Neanderthal hunter Ludovic Slimak
Michael Segalov
Explorer Ludovic Slimak has dedicated decades to unearthing the mystery of our prehistoric ancestors. Now he has found a missing piece that radically reshapes our understanding – not just of the Neanderthals but of humanity itself
https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... prehistory
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:24 pm

Truth in this idea
The big idea
The big idea: could we use music like medicine?
We know that music influences our emotions, but could it improve physical health too?
David Robson
Mon 18 Sep 2023 12.30 BST
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/ ... e-medicine
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:40 pm

Selden’s cell-based tuna revolution
What inspired you to create Finless Foods?

Our generation spends so much of our focus on energy but not enough on agriculture. From a very young age, I understood that agriculture is undervalued and overlooked. This led me to obtain a degree in biochemistry and molecular biology and from there I recognised that animal agriculture has an outsized negative effect on the environment. Naturally the question followed - what can we do to change that?

I quickly realised convincing people to stop eating meat may not be the most efficient approach, since vegan and vegetarianism has not taken off in a way that people would have hoped. In 2015, I came across an article on how the horseshoe crab populations are dwindling, as humans extract their blue blood for biomedical use worldwide. What really caught my attention is the innovation that followed: scientists created a synthetic alternative to horseshoe crab blood cells called recombinant Factor C (rFC). This same idea can apply towards the meat industry.

I wanted to create a product that allows people to continue eating the food they love, but shift their habits away from something that is harmful to the environment and towards something that is better.
https://thefishsite.com/articles/mike-s ... less-foods

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:19 am

Does it taste like chicken tho?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:56 am

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:01 am

It's hard to believe there is any demand for this as a replacement for fish fillets. I'm guessing the market is convenience foods --read the fine print, your frozen fish sticks ain't fish. But how can it compete with the cheap fish already being used for that?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:27 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:56 am
:lol: is that a real thing?

Frank Zappa

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:29 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:01 am
It's hard to believe there is any demand for this as a replacement for fish fillets. I'm guessing the market is convenience foods --read the fine print, your frozen fish sticks ain't fish. But how can it compete with the cheap fish already being used for that?
There are vegan fish sticks and fish filets in the supermarket. They taste nearly like the original and have the same price

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:37 am

Sure, but it's probably much cheaper to make veggie sticks than lab grown fish. But I don't know.

//--//

Chicken of the Sea is indeed a major brand.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:42 am

The vegan fish alternatives here use the brand name "Fisch vom Feld" literally "Fish from the field"

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:13 am

Birds Eye has a lot of meat/fish alternatives...we fry up the chicken tenders and have it in a salad. They invented frozen veg way back when.
https://www.bestrecipes.com.au/articles ... e/48t9h9hi
We like the mince and chicken. Sometimes meatballs.
Birds Eye’s new range is entirely meatless
Tyra Lawler-Cass by Tyra Lawler-Cass
It’s got a lot of protein and a lot of flavour!

In honour of Australia’s meat-free week, Birds Eye has just released a new plant-based range. The new menu has no meat in sight. Instead it includes a range of plant-based mince, meatballs, burgers, and chicken strips.

Why go plant-based?

The team at Birds Eye believe in catering to all types of Australian families, whether they’re meat or plant lovers. Bird Eye’s general marketing manager, Katie Saunders says:

“While the range is suitable for vegetarians and vegans, at Birds Eye we wanted to help all Aussies understand how easy plant-based alternatives are to introduce into your meals, with no compromise on flavour.”

What can I make with plant-based meals?

Birds Eye wants everyone to relive the memories of your favourite meals while helping us build newer and healthier eating habits. The new plant-based range can be used to make a few family classics such as linguine with meatballs, chicken-style and leek pie, plant-based mince and cheese nachos bake plus many more delicious recipes here.

Where can I buy the Birds Eye plant-based range?

Birds Eye’s newest plant based range is currently available at supermarkets for $6.50 a pack
often on sale ( those are Aus dollars ) - one package does for two or three meals for two. The mince is great for bolognese or tacos, We try out various pasta alternatives as well. There some zero carb noodles.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:16 am

That's un-Australian.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:46 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-25/ ... /102895696
A NASA space capsule carrying the largest soil samples ever scooped up from the surface of an asteroid has streaked through Earth's atmosphere and parachuted into the Utah desert.

In a flyby of Earth, the Osiris-Rex spacecraft released the sample capsule from 100,000 kilometres out.

The small capsule landed 4 hours later on a remote expanse of military land, as the mothership set off after another asteroid.
Of course, if this was the preliminary to a SF book, when scientists open the capsule, they release alien nano machines that soon spread around the world, enslaving millions by psionic controls... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!