Science news of the day thread.

macdoc
Twitcher

Re: Science news of the day thread.

Post by macdoc » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:15 am

Sernova says the first two patients in the study, amazingly, no longer need insulin.
My son is a Type One and this is very good news

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/20 ... close.html
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:24 am

At last. Some proper science on a matter of vital import...
Researchers in Valencia pinpoint unwritten rules of paella

Many crimes have been committed in the name of paella but now researchers in Valencia have laid down 10 commandments of what thou shall and shall not put in their national dish.

The ten permitted ingredients are: rice, water, olive oil, salt, saffron (or food colouring), tomato, flat green beans, lima beans, chicken and rabbit. No fish or shellfish. Ever.

The research was carried out by social scientists at the Universidad Católica de Universidad Católica de Valencia at the instigation of local chef Rafael Vidal. The researchers questioned 400 amateur chefs aged over 50 from 266 Valencian villages.

The results were published in the International Journal of Gastronomy and Science and were presented on Thursday at a meeting titled, A nightmare glocal discussion: what are the ingredients of paella valenciana?

Ninety per cent of those interviewed agreed on the 10 essential ingredients, with some dissent over rabbit (88.9%). Paprika (62.5%) and rosemary (52.2%) are also considered acceptable, as are artichokes (46.3%), when in season.

“Everyone has an opinion about paella but the idea was to do fieldwork to establish what are the essential ingredients,” says Pablo Vidal (no relation), an anthropologist at the university involved in the research...

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/m ... -of-paella
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:29 pm

Emotional moment’: locked-in patient communicates with family via implant
New technology allows patients to communicate but at slow pace

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... ia-implant
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:24 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:24 am

Many crimes have been committed in the name of paella but now researchers in Valencia have laid down 10 commandments of what thou shall and shall not put in their national dish.

The ten permitted ingredients are: rice, water, olive oil, salt, saffron (or food colouring), tomato, flat green beans, lima beans, chicken and rabbit. No fish or shellfish. Ever.

The research was carried out by social scientists at the Universidad Católica de Universidad Católica de Valencia at the instigation of local chef Rafael Vidal. The researchers questioned 400 amateur chefs aged over 50 from 266 Valencian villages.

The results were published in the International Journal of Gastronomy and Science and were presented on Thursday at a meeting titled, A nightmare glocal discussion: what are the ingredients of paella valenciana?

Ninety per cent of those interviewed agreed on the 10 essential ingredients, with some dissent over rabbit (88.9%). Paprika (62.5%) and rosemary (52.2%) are also considered acceptable, as are artichokes (46.3%), when in season.

“Everyone has an opinion about paella but the idea was to do fieldwork to establish what are the essential ingredients,” says Pablo Vidal (no relation), an anthropologist at the university involved in the research...

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/m ... -of-paella
Chefs are in fact Laboratory Technicians.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:43 am

Indeed. And their customers are their lab rats; the back of their fridges their Petri dishes.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:03 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:43 am
Indeed. And their customers are their lab rats; the back of their fridges their Petri dishes.
If you're lucky!
BArF−4

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:56 am

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:57 am

Speeding?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:16 am

what colour is the vehicle we are pursuing ......errr ummm....

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:35 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:

The ten permitted ingredients are: rice, water, olive oil, salt, saffron (or food colouring), tomato, flat green beans, lima beans, chicken and rabbit.
Eleven, actually. They forgot to include pineapple.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:19 pm

Hermit wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:35 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:

The ten permitted ingredients are: rice, water, olive oil, salt, saffron (or food colouring), tomato, flat green beans, lima beans, chicken and rabbit.
...no bacon? :sulk:
BArF−4

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:07 pm

rainbow wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:19 pm
Hermit wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:35 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:

...no bacon? :sulk:
Ah yes, sorry. Bacon too. Must be kosher, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:35 pm

and the pineapple must be alkaline
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:15 am

Arteries and Stroke - CMA

I found the remarkable stat in actual patients
“Those patients with higher levels of CMA following their first strokes never got a second one, while second strokes occurred in nearly all the patients with low CMA activity,” said Cuervo. “This suggests that your CMA activity level post-endarterectomy could help in predicting your risk for a second stroke and in guiding treatment, especially for people with low CMA.”
Ramping up a natural cellular cleaning process could help prevent arteries from clogging and causing heart attacks and strokesDepositphotos

Researchers at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine have discovered a new potential way to prevent arteries clogging, and as such reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes. The technique involves ramping up a cleaning process that naturally slows down as we age.
https://newatlas.com/medical/cma-preven ... ck-stroke/

Lot of positive spin offs from this tho there is always the Mediterranean diet. :coffee:

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:17 am

Type 2 Diabetes treatment this time which I'm on the cusp of

long ways off for practical use. Kind of remarkle tech tho
Diabetes successfully treated using ultrasound in preclinical study

Animals studies have demonstrated just three minutes of focused ultrasound a day can keep blood glucose levels normal, and early human trials are now underwayDepositphotos
By Rich Haridy
April 05, 2022
more
https://newatlas.com/medical/focused-ul ... s-ge-yale/