Science news of the day thread.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Re: Science news of the day thread.

Post by FBM » Thu May 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
FBM wrote:We'll find out sooner or later, I suppose, but if Stanford took their own DNA samples from the thing, it's going to be interesting to see how they screwed that up.
Grad students. :nono:
I'm a grad student. And you used to be. :smug:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu May 02, 2013 1:28 pm

FBM wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
FBM wrote:We'll find out sooner or later, I suppose, but if Stanford took their own DNA samples from the thing, it's going to be interesting to see how they screwed that up.
Grad students. :nono:
I'm a grad student. And you used to be. :smug:
I got better. :coffee:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Blind groper
About me: From New Zealand

Post by Blind groper » Thu May 02, 2013 7:54 pm

FBM wrote: It may yet turn out to be a hoax, but...Stanford School of Medicine?
The report is not from Stanford, but from a popularisation. If Stanford writes a paper confirming it, then we can puzzle. Until then, I say hoax!
For every human action, there is a rationalisation and a reason. Only sometimes do they coincide.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu May 02, 2013 11:12 pm

"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Blind groper
About me: From New Zealand

Post by Blind groper » Fri May 03, 2013 9:33 am

Would not be the first science hoax. Human DNA? Possibly a human skeleton cleverly modified?

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Fri May 03, 2013 9:51 am

It's only 6 inches long and the X-rays say the bones are developed to those of a +/- 6-y.o. A 6-inch fetus wouldn't have fused epiphyses yet.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat May 11, 2013 2:18 pm

There is a website with malformed fetus pictures. Several of them look like aliens.

Google.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat May 18, 2013 12:22 pm

Meteor slams into Moon.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sat May 18, 2013 1:11 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Meteor slams into Moon.
Far freakin' out. 8-)

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun May 26, 2013 10:46 pm

Borrowed from JREF:
citizenschallenge wrote:Besides political ideology, I believe another huge hurdle for most people trying to comprehend our global warming situation is that they don't appreciate how massive society's impacts on our planet have become. This series of Earth time-lapses might help in getting some to visualize the enormity of society's footprint on our planet.

TIME and Space | By Jeffrey Kluger

Spacecraft and telescopes are not built by people interested in what’s going on at home. Rockets fly in one direction: up. Telescopes point in one direction: out. Of all the cosmic bodies studied in the long history of astronomy and space travel, the one that got the least attention was the one that ought to matter most to us—Earth.

That changed when NASA created the Landsat program, a series of satellites that would perpetually orbit our planet, looking not out but down. Surveillance spacecraft had done that before, of course, but they paid attention only to military or tactical sites. Landsat was a notable exception, built not for spycraft but for public monitoring of how the human species was altering the surface of the planet. Two generations, eight satellites and millions of pictures later, the space agency, along with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), has accumulated a stunning catalog of images that, when riffled through and stitched together, create a high-definition slide show of our rapidly changing Earth. TIME is proud to host the public unveiling of these images from orbit, which for the first time date all the way back to 1984.

Over here is Dubai, growing from sparse desert metropolis to modern, sprawling megalopolis. Over there are the central-pivot irrigation systems turning the sands of Saudi Arabia into an agricultural breadbasket — a surreal green-on-brown polka-dot pattern in the desert. Elsewhere is the bad news: the high-speed retreat of Mendenhall Glacier in Alaska; the West Virginia Mountains decapitated by the mining industry; the denuded forests of the Amazon, cut to stubble by loggers.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Mon May 27, 2013 1:41 am

I know nothing about feeding babies, but this was interesting. We do it similar to how the Neanderthals did, apparently.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 104828.htm
Monkey Teeth Help Reveal Neanderthal Weaning

May 24, 2013 — Most modern human mothers wean their babies much earlier than our closest primate relatives. But what about our extinct relatives, the Neanderthals?

A team of U.S. and Australian researchers reports in the journal Nature May 22 that they can now use fossil teeth to calculate when a Neanderthal baby was weaned. The new technique is based in part on knowledge gained from studies of teeth from human infants and from monkeys at the California National Primate Research Center at the University of California, Davis.
Using the new technique, the researchers concluded that at least one Neanderthal baby was weaned at much the same age as most modern humans.

Just as tree rings record the environment in which a tree grew, traces of barium in the layers of a primate tooth can tell the story of when an infant was exclusively milk-fed, when supplemental food started, and at what age it was weaned, said Katie Hinde, professor of human evolutionary biology at Harvard University and an affiliate scientist at the UC Davis Primate Center. Hinde directs the Comparative Lactation Laboratory at Harvard and has conducted a three-year study of lactation, weaning and behavior among rhesus macaques at UC Davis.

The team was able to determine exact timing of birth, when the infant was fed exclusively on mother's milk, and the weaning process, from mineral traces in teeth. By studying monkey teeth and comparing them to center records, they could show that the technique was accurate almost to the day.

After validating the technique with monkeys, the scientists applied it to human teeth and a Neanderthal tooth. They found that the Neanderthal baby was fed exclusively on mother's milk for seven months, followed by seven months of supplementation -- a similar pattern to present-day humans. The technique opens up extensive opportunities to further investigate lactation in fossils and museum collections of primate teeth.

Although there is some variation among human cultures, the accelerated transition to foods other than mother's milk is thought to have emerged in our ancestral history due, in part, to more cooperative infant care and access to a more nutritious diet, Hinde said. Shorter lactation periods could mean shorter gaps between pregnancies and a higher rate of reproduction. However, there has been much debate about when our ancestors evolved accelerated weaning.

For the past few decades researchers have relied on tooth eruption age as a direct proxy for weaning age. Yet recent investigations of wild chimpanzees have shown that the first molar eruption occurs toward the end of weaning.

"By applying these new techniques to primate teeth in museum collections, we can more precisely assess maternal investment across individuals within species, as well as life history evolution among species," Hinde said.

Authors in addition to Hinde were: Christine Austin and Manish Arora, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, Harvard School of Public Health, and University of Sydney, Australia; Tanya Smith, Harvard University; Asa Bradman and Brenda Eskenazi, UC Berkeley; Renaud Joannes-Boyau, Southern Cross University, Lismore, Australia; David Bishop, Dominic Hare and Philip Doble, University of Technology Sydney, Australia.

The work was funded by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, U.S. National Science Foundation, Australian National Health and Medical Research Council, Australian Research Council and Harvard University.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri May 31, 2013 2:52 pm

Black hole bonanza possible as immense gas cloud passes

A vast and hidden field of small black holes predicted to be near the centre of our galaxy could be revealed as a giant gas cloud passes by.

The G2 cloud is as large as our Solar System, and bound for a "supermassive" black hole at the Milky Way's core.

On the way, it should encounter many black holes just tens of km across.

A report in Physical Review Letters suggests they will spin and heat the gas, which will emit a spray of X-ray light that telescopes could see.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22694229
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:11 am

Lamar Smith is destroying science
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:01 am

Proxmire would be proud of that boy.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:28 pm

(NY) Times List of 10 best Science Books June-2013
kennyc wrote:
1 QUIET by Susan Cain. Crown. Introverts — one-third of the population — are undervalued in American society.

2 THINKING, FAST AND SLOW by Daniel Kahneman. Farrar, Straus & Giroux. The winner of the Nobel in economic science discusses how we make choices in business and personal life and when we can and cannot trust our intuitions.

3 BRAIN ON FIRE by Susannah Cahalan. Simon & Schuster. A medical mystery in which doctors struggle to discover why a young reporter suddenly experiences seizures, hallucinations and eventually near catatonia.

4 THE NEW DIGITAL AGE by Eric Schmidt and Jared Cohen. Knopf. The promise and peril of the continuing information and technology revolution for people, nations and business.

5 GULP by Mary Roach. Norton. A science writer’s pilgrimage down the digestive tract; by the author of “Stiff,” “Spook,” “Bonk” and “Packing for Mars.”

6 WHOLE: RETHINKING THE SCIENCE OF NUTRITION by T. Colin Campbell with Howard Jacobson. BenBella Books. The nutrition of a whole-food, plant-based diet.

7 THE HAPPINESS PROJECT by Gretchen Rubin. HarperCollins. In a hunt for happiness, the author consulted science, ancient wisdom and pop culture.

8 THE IMMORTAL LIFE OF HENRIETTA LACKS by Rebecca Skloot. Crown. The story of an African-American woman whose cancerous cells were extensively cultured without her permission in 1951.

9 THE POWER OF HABIT by Charles Duhigg.

10 THE AUTISTIC BRAIN by Temple Grandin and Richard Panek.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/11/scien ... c=rss&_r=0