Gawd-you might like this!!!

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator
About me: Trying to avoid existential despair.

Gawd-you might like this!!!

Post by Existentialist1844 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:50 am

Why Evidence for the Paranormal Doesn't Improve
It seems that every month or two some new piece of evidence surfaces that promises to shed light on an unexplained mystery: A miraculous healing story here, a Borneo river monster photo there. Yet like the proverbial carrot before the donkey, final evidence is always in sight but never obtained.
For decades, UFO buffs have claimed that conclusive proof of alien life is just around the corner. They believe that the "truth will be revealed" — either by extraterrestrials finally making themselves known (a visit to the White House lawn or Times Square might be on the agenda), or by the world's governments ending their conspiracy of silence and letting the public see the real evidence and alien bodies they've had on ice since 1947.

For decades, New Agers have heralded the coming of, well, a New Age. Some may remember the "Harmonic Convergence" that took place in August 1987, when thousands of people gathered at supposedly sacred sites around the world (including Stonehenge and the Golden Gate Bridge) to help usher in a global era of peace, brotherly love, and unity. Unfortunately — despite two days of song, prayer, and dancing — the world's wars, genocide, terrorism, and catastrophe have continued unabated.

Time and again, conclusive evidence is promised and fails to materialize; in fact it follows a predictable pattern. First, a non-scientist or layperson claims to have discovered some important new piece of evidence (such as the discovery of Noah's Ark on Mt. Ararat in Turkey or the discovery of a Bigfoot track). News media then pick up and broadcast the story, sensationalizing it in the process. Then, as public interest mounts, the original promoters promise that scientists will examine the evidence and prove their claims.

You might think that the next step is that scientists examine the evidence and then hold a press conference to announce that the existence of UFOs, Bigfoot, psychic powers, etc. has finally been verified.

But that doesn't happen. Instead, the claims just fade away. Sometimes the evidence turns out to be hoaxed (such as the "Bigfoot body" reported in Georgia, or the New Jersey UFO lights case). More often, the evidence is not faked, it is simply ambiguous and open to a variety of interpretations. Nothing comes of the story because nothing can be determined from the evidence.

A case in point is the Yeti (Bigfoot) tracks found in 2007, by Josh Gates, host of the Sci Fi series "Destination Truth." Gates couldn't figure out what made a few strange tracks in the Himalaya mountains, and assumed it must have been a Yeti. The discovery made international news (aided by the publicity arm of the TV show), and the tracks were sent to the United States to be examined by top scientists. And what became of the footprint, touted as elusive hard evidence for the existence of the Yeti?

As usual, the story began with a bang and ended with a whimper.

The best preserved track that Gates found is not being studied by scientists at the Smithsonian. It is not the subject of scientific scrutiny, with results being published in a peer-reviewed science journal.

No, the much-hyped, long-awaited solid evidence of the Yeti is currently on display at Disney World.
"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

:pounce:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Gawd-you might like this!!!

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:54 am

Sir Edmund Hillary is to blame for the Yeti.

Did you know that they traced the "footprints" of a Yeti, and when they went into shadow they became just plain old fox tracks. The sun had melted the prints into larger depressions, as any Gerkha can tell you. Hillary, however, got hot and bothered about the myth and it took off from there. (It's interesting that it wasn't included in "Shangri-La", even though it would have been whiz-bang to do so.)
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:07 am

Gawdzilla wrote:Sir Edmund Hillary is to blame for the Yeti.

Did you know that they traced the "footprints" of a Yeti, and when they went into shadow they became just plain old fox tracks. The sun had melted the prints into larger depressions, as any Gerkha can tell you. Hillary, however, got hot and bothered about the myth and it took off from there. (It's interesting that it wasn't included in "Shangri-La", even though it would have been whiz-bang to do so.)
Ahhh, I did not know that. A few nights ago I was watching something on Monster Quest about The Jersey Devil :
For over 250 years a frightening winged beast has been menacing the residents of New Jersey. The Jersey Devil is described as a winged half-bird half-horse, with hoofed feet, a reptilian tail and a penetrating scream that echoes through the forests of New Jerseys Pine Barrens. During one phenomenal week, more than 1,000 individuals were terrorized: A trolley car was attacked, schools were closed and panic gripped the area. Wildlife experts claim that a misidentified but known animal may be responsible for the encounters, but recent witnesses who have seen the beast are scared for their lives, and say the scientific evidence will prove there is a monster. MonsterQuest launches an unprecedented expedition, sending detectives to question witnesses and 60 men into the forbidding forest, in search of the Jersey Devil.
Anyway, one woman claimed that the Jersey Devil flew on top of her roof and left footprints in the snow. The family took photographs of the footprints, etc. Unfortunately, its hard to discern footprints from snow, since other elements (wind) can change the shape/size/depth of the inprint.
"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:09 am

Existentialist1844 wrote:Anyway, one woman claimed that the Jersey Devil flew on top of her roof and left footprints in the snow. The family took photographs of the footprints, etc. Unfortunately, its hard to discern footprints from snow, since other elements (wind) can change the shape/size/depth of the inprint.
The Jersey Devil is the ultimate tourist bait, nothing else. The "reported sightings" are pathetic at best. Chupacabra is better documented than JD.

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:12 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
Existentialist1844 wrote:Anyway, one woman claimed that the Jersey Devil flew on top of her roof and left footprints in the snow. The family took photographs of the footprints, etc. Unfortunately, its hard to discern footprints from snow, since other elements (wind) can change the shape/size/depth of the inprint.
The Jersey Devil is the ultimate tourist bait, nothing else. The "reported sightings" are pathetic at best. Chupacabra is better documented than JD.
I also find the Chupacabra a funny myth. I mean, a creature that sucks blood out of cow is hilarious. :hilarious:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:15 am

Existentialist1844 wrote:I also find the Chupacabra a funny myth. I mean, a creature that sucks blood out of cow is hilarious. :hilarious:
Vampire bats do it.

The problem with Chupy is that when an animal bleeds out, the blood soaks into the ground. No big puddles like you'd find on concrete or asphalt. So morons leap to the conclusion that the blood "must have gone some where" and decide something drank it. I've seen packs of dogs kill sheep just for the fun of it. Nothing eaten. Perfect fodder for the ignorant to create a myth.

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:25 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
Existentialist1844 wrote:I also find the Chupacabra a funny myth. I mean, a creature that sucks blood out of cow is hilarious. :hilarious:
Vampire bats do it.

The problem with Chupy is that when an animal bleeds out, the blood soaks into the ground. No big puddles like you'd find on concrete or asphalt. So morons leap to the conclusion that the blood "must have gone some where" and decide something drank it. I've seen packs of dogs kill sheep just for the fun of it. Nothing eaten. Perfect fodder for the ignorant to create a myth.
Sure, vampire bats do it, but bats are a fairly common species in some parts of the world. The Chupacabra looks like it comes from another dimension lol.

Also, its interesting how certain myths are only indigenous to certain areas. For instance, The Jersey Devil. Isnt it interesting how people from Jersey only report seeing the Jersey Devil. Once a myth gets started, it spreads throughout the whole community. Nessie in Ireland, the yeti in only certain parts, etc. Either 1) these animals can only thrive in the environment which people see them (which is highly unlikely, considering other part of the world can support life) or 2) something along the lines of mass hysteria.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:32 am

Existentialist1844 wrote:Sure, vampire bats do it, but bats are a fairly common species in some parts of the world. The Chupacabra looks like it comes from another dimension lol.

Also, its interesting how certain myths are only indigenous to certain areas. For instance, The Jersey Devil. Isnt it interesting how people from Jersey only report seeing the Jersey Devil. Once a myth gets started, it spreads throughout the whole community. Nessie in Ireland, the yeti in only certain parts, etc. Either 1) these animals can only thrive in the environment which people see them (which is highly unlikely, considering other part of the world can support life) or 2) something along the lines of mass hysteria.
It's part of local bragging rights. "Oh yeah? Well one time the JD turned me into a newt!" "A newt?" "Well, I got better."

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:45 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
Existentialist1844 wrote:Sure, vampire bats do it, but bats are a fairly common species in some parts of the world. The Chupacabra looks like it comes from another dimension lol.

It's part of local bragging rights. "Oh yeah? Well one time the JD turned me into a newt!" "A newt?" "Well, I got better."
Plus, most towns like to reinforce these myths so that tourists will come. Area 51 is a HUGE tourist attraction for people. They have shops and stores dedicated to alien merchandise.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:48 am

Existentialist1844 wrote:Plus, most towns like to reinforce these myths so that tourists will come. Area 51 is a HUGE tourist attraction for people. They have shops and stores dedicated to alien merchandise.
Actually, there's only the one store outside Area 51, and I think it's deserted now that the planes have moved to Utah. Roswell, on the other hand, had a thriving business in the 70s and 80s. However, their last "anniversary" drew less than 10,000 people. Down 90% from the hey days.

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:52 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
Existentialist1844 wrote:Plus, most towns like to reinforce these myths so that tourists will come. Area 51 is a HUGE tourist attraction for people. They have shops and stores dedicated to alien merchandise.
Actually, there's only the one store outside Area 51, and I think it's deserted now that the planes have moved to Utah. Roswell, on the other hand, had a thriving business in the 70s and 80s. However, their last "anniversary" drew less than 10,000 people. Down 90% from the hey days.
Grrrr, I meant Roswell. Sorry.

It looks like people are smartening up to a certain extent. Though, Im sure im jumping ahead of myself by stating that.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:53 am

Existentialist1844 wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

It looks like people are smartening up to a certain extent. Though, Im sure im jumping ahead of myself by stating that.
It's just shifting, not getting better.

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:58 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
Existentialist1844 wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

It's just shifting, not getting better.
Shifting to other paranormal activities?

Expand please........

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:01 am

Existentialist1844 wrote:Shifting to other paranormal activities?

Expand please........
The current fav is the Da Vinci Code and it's offshoots. I follow fringe literature and this is a major player right now. (BTW, I have five CD of "Atlantis Rising" in PDF if you're interested in such.)

Fanny
Benny Lava Lava

Post by Fanny » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:10 am

Existentialist1844 wrote: Also, its interesting how certain myths are only indigenous to certain areas. For instance, The Jersey Devil. Isnt it interesting how people from Jersey only report seeing the Jersey Devil. Once a myth gets started, it spreads throughout the whole community. Nessie in Ireland, the yeti in only certain parts, etc. Either 1) these animals can only thrive in the environment which people see them (which is highly unlikely, considering other part of the world can support life) or 2) something along the lines of mass hysteria.
:doh: :lol:

Lick my shillelagh!!! LICK IT!!!

I bet you've watched all the Leprechaun films. :Flirt:
Fanny - obnoxious bastard extraodinaire