I WANNA KNOW EVERYTHING SCIENCE KNOWS progress report.

Dory
Busty wench

I WANNA KNOW EVERYTHING SCIENCE KNOWS progress report.

Post by Dory » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:48 pm

So in my ridiculous quest to become a PhD in all-things-science I thought to push on the breaks for a minute and let you guys in on how I'm doing.

First of, I'm loving it. My schendule is insane, which means I'm studying just about 24/7. It's really fun because I have an addictive personality-- I throw myself 100% into what I do. I just finished anatomy, and the test is tomorrow. Now studying physiology and kinesiology. That's in the context of biology. Then, chemistry, having just finished the quantom model, molecular orbital theory, bonding, solids and crystals, and just hitting up on thermodynamics. In engineering, currently rehashing heavily the issue of vectors, learning powerpoint (ugh), and engineer drawing. Yep, still just at the beginning.

Oh, and the score of the first paperwork in chemistry is in. A+! :D So far so good... okay, going back to the hellfire. Gotta do some sketches!

Dory
Busty wench

Re: I WANNA KNOW EVERYTHING SCIENCE KNOWS progress report.

Post by Dory » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:56 pm

I know what you're thinking, doesn't she have a job? Well, currently working on a gym coach certificate which I ought to finish by the end of the year. The funny thing? For the final test, I have to lift weights a bunch of time for a strength test, and I get 50% off weight due to me being a girl. Hah!

Discount for girls studying engineering, discount in weight for a strength test... damn...should've tried that a long time ago. 'em perks are awesome!

GenesForLife
Bertie Wooster

Post by GenesForLife » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:59 pm

Ronja had a very good diagram by someone representing the nature of a PhD, Dory, very illuminating.

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:11 am

GenesForLife wrote:Ronja had a very good diagram by someone representing the nature of a PhD, Dory, very illuminating.
You mean this series? http://matt.might.net/articles/phd-school-in-pictures/

Love it! :biggrin:
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Dory
Busty wench

Post by Dory » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:38 am

Wait... you guys think I'm doing all that to "keep pushing"?

PhD means a pretty huge dick. I wanna have a pretty huge dick. This is it. This is the REAL reason I'm doing it all. Wasn't that obvious? Man you guys are idiots.

Yes, I know, all we know of science is nothing. But it's the only way we can keep pushing, indeed :)

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:14 am

Dory wrote:Wait... you guys think I'm doing all that to "keep pushing"?
Well, that picture series was not about laughing at you but about laughing at myself. I know that I keep doing things scientific/scholarly mainly because I know of no other equally meaningful way of life (which means I am a pretty boring person, really ;) ). Pushing into areas of knowledge that did not exists before is in many ways inherently futile, yet I can't not do it - it's a bit like picking at a scab: irresistible.
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Dory
Busty wench

Post by Dory » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:46 am

:) Naturally I was joking, and naturally am with you.

Ulven

Post by Ulven » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:06 pm

48 male dumbfucks, everyone looks more retarded than the next. And one goddamn girl who can't do fractions if her life dependent on it (not me, the other girl in the course. 48-2 ratio!!!). I feel like I've arrived to retard land.

Still feel like "retard land"?

:read:

Dory
Busty wench

Post by Dory » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Yes. I feel more like a teacher than a student there, and a lot are asking for my help. Which, is kinda fun, I like helping and being used for my knowledge. I mean, the students are slowwwwwwwww. It takes them fucking forever to get the idea of vectors.

Plus, I already covered physics in an online course, so I'm not excited by the load of material I gotta know in math and physics. I'm way ahead.

On the other, I like the people and the subjects regardless, so I don't complain.

But this is only in mechatronics. In chemistry I took a course for slightly more advanced students and I'm constantly trying to catch up, but having worked tons in the last weeks I can safely say I've caught up. As far as biology, walk in the park.