Freeware "flowchart" software?

Ayaan
Queen of the Infidels
About me: AKA: Sciwoman
Location: Married to Gawdzilla and living in Missouri. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Re: Freeware "flowchart" software?

Post by Ayaan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:46 pm

JasonK wrote:
Pappa wrote:
JasonK wrote:True, true... Microsoft and Adobe are incredibly fun to rip off.
But, unfortunately, I have a volume license key for Visio 2007, so my copy is legit. :cry:
:nono: How dare you?!
It's my company's fault for being Platinum partners.
But I make myself feel better by booting my laptop into Linux 99.999999% of the time.
You rebel, you. :lol:

I use Open Office Writer and have never had a problem with it.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." ♥ Robert A. Heinlein
“Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself; (I am large, I contain multitudes.)”-Walt Whitman from Song of Myself, Leaves of Grass
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.~Ripley
The Internet: The Big Book of Everything ~ Gawdzilla Sama

JasonK
About me: I do computer stuff. I have 2 cats and the best girlfriend in the whole world.

Post by JasonK » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:05 pm

Ayaan wrote:You rebel, you. :lol:

:lol:
Yeah, I prefer Writer to Word 2007. The whole 2007 suite is bloatware on an unimaginable scale. Not to mention all the compatibility issues with earlier versions.... I'm getting sick of installing the compatibility pack (and now additionally compatibility pack sp1.)

Oh, and at the risk of sounding anal retentive, people should avoid using the word "freeware." That term is generally used now to refer to ad-based software or time-limited trials. The correct term is OS/FS: Open Source / Free Software.
:ugeek:
Deep within this endless void
searching for a sign.
The vessel forged inside of me
watches over, like the death of the moon

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:17 pm

I've been calling it "freeware" since 1991, probably won't change any time soon. 8-)

Question about Open Office? Do they have a wysiwyg html editor? :begging:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

JasonK
About me: I do computer stuff. I have 2 cats and the best girlfriend in the whole world.

Post by JasonK » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:22 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:I've been calling it "freeware" since 1991, probably won't change any time soon. 8-)

Well, in 1991 it was the appropriate term. It no longer is... Just sayin'. Consciousness raising, and all that.

If you mean something full-blown and awesome like Adobe Dreamweaver, not yet. Of course, MS FrontPage is utter garbage, so I wouldn't use that regardless. I've heard that OO Writer can do a bit, but I've never tried it. I've heard that a full-blown app is in the works, though.

30 day trial of Dreamweaver should get you started, though.... ;)
searching for a sign.

Ayaan
Queen of the Infidels
About me: AKA: Sciwoman
Location: Married to Gawdzilla and living in Missouri. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Post by Ayaan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:24 pm

JasonK wrote:
Ayaan wrote:You rebel, you. :lol:

:lol:
Yeah, I prefer Writer to Word 2007. The whole 2007 suite is bloatware on an unimaginable scale. Not to mention all the compatibility issues with earlier versions.... I'm getting sick of installing the compatibility pack (and now additionally compatibility pack sp1.)
Not to mention the price of MS Office and Word.

JasonK wrote:Oh, and at the risk of sounding anal retentive, people should avoid using the word "freeware." That term is generally used now to refer to ad-based software or time-limited trials. The correct term is OS/FS: Open Source / Free Software.
:ugeek:
I will keep that in mind.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." ♥ Robert A. Heinlein
“Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself; (I am large, I contain multitudes.)”-Walt Whitman from Song of Myself, Leaves of Grass
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.~Ripley
The Internet: The Big Book of Everything ~ Gawdzilla Sama

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:29 pm

JasonK wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:I've been calling it "freeware" since 1991, probably won't change any time soon. 8-)

Well, in 1991 it was the appropriate term. It no longer is... Just sayin'. Consciousness raising, and all that.

If you mean something full-blown and awesome like Adobe Dreamweaver, not yet. Of course, MS FrontPage is utter garbage, so I wouldn't use that regardless. I've heard that OO Writer can do a bit, but I've never tried it. I've heard that a full-blown app is in the works, though.

30 day trial of Dreamweaver should get you started, though.... ;)
I avoided be conscious for two decades, so it's habit now. :mrgreen:

I use PageBreeze, but it's slow when writing a 300+ page doc. :banghead:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:31 pm

For Windows I am quite partial to Matrix Y2K Webstudio. For Linux there is Screem and Bluefish I quite like.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm

JasonK wrote:
Pappa wrote:
JasonK wrote:True, true... Microsoft and Adobe are incredibly fun to rip off.
But, unfortunately, I have a volume license key for Visio 2007, so my copy is legit. :cry:
:nono: How dare you?!
It's my company's fault for being Platinum partners.
But I make myself feel better by booting my laptop into Linux 99.999999% of the time.
Actually, I used paid for Adobe and Microsoft stuff in work. And I do use a Mac at home, but pretty much all the software I use open source or "extended trial version" ;)
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

Feck

Post by Feck » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:13 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
JasonK wrote:Hooray for open source!
It is wonderful
:whisper: although strangely less satisfying than ripping off microsoft!
sooner or later Everyone pays the "Bill"
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

JasonK

Post by JasonK » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:11 pm

Pappa wrote:...And I do use a Mac at home....
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. :doh:
When you're ready to move from a toy to a tool, let me know and I'll help you out.
searching for a sign.

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:36 pm

JasonK wrote:
When you're ready to move from a toy to a tool, let me know and I'll help you out.
:lol: I couldn't now. I love it too much.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

JasonK

Post by JasonK » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:54 pm

Pappa wrote:
JasonK wrote:
:cry:
searching for a sign.

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:09 pm

JasonK wrote:
Pappa wrote:
JasonK wrote:
:cry:
Don't worry... I'll get my hands on another laptop and install Ubuntu. I've been meaning to for a long time, and I need the practice, it's a little bit different to the Red Hat Linux I'm used to administrating.

I've used macs for years, Photoshop and the like.

JasonK

Post by JasonK » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:17 pm

Pappa wrote:Don't worry... I'll get my hands on another laptop and install Ubuntu. I've been meaning to for a long time, and I need the practice, it's a little bit different to the Red Hat Linux I'm used to administrating.

I've used macs for years, Photoshop and the like.
Good man. And yeah, Ubuntu and other versions of Debian are quite different that RH. But that's a good thing. Red Hat's package management sucks ass. Yum is ok, but Apt is world's better.

And yeah, Macs used to be good for Adobe products in the G4 days and before, but now that they run the same CISC processors as PCs (as opposed to the Power PC RISC processors they used to use) they've completely lost the edge they once had. Unless you're too used to the interface to change, I suppose.
searching for a sign.

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Post by AshtonBlack » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:28 pm

Woooo a geeky chat! Nice.

I too, unfortunately work in an org that has a MSVL deal. So I don't rip off the gatester :(
I use an MS lappy for work and have a mac book air for travelling as well as a new (ish) desktop rig that I multi boot, Ubuntu, Vista and Win 7 (beta).

As for Office.... if I can avoid it I will. 2007 is shite and I prefer Open Office.

As for the free ware /open source. I've heard used (going back a bit), freeware, abandonware, shareware, Public Domain. But IIRC Open source can have limitations on derivative works, thereby not being truly "free."

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."