Mr Newton's Classroom

Farsight

Re: Mr Newton's Classroom

Post by Farsight » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:45 pm

Brain Man wrote:...Internet forums like this are only good for experiments in groupishness..and to get some rough peer review. If their feedback were to be taken completely seriously (not that there isnt good feedback to be had) you would end up in big trouble...
I rather think you're right, Brain Man. I do however find this feedback useful to sketch out a future course of action.
lpetrich wrote:Proton-antiproton annihilation: Farsight seems to think that they do not produce charged pions or more than 2 particles, at least not in significant quantities.
I don't think that. Why do you clutch at such straw men? You think I've never heard of a cross-section? Go look up low-energy proton-antiproton annihilation.
lpetrich wrote:Quarks outside of baryons: Farsight seems to think that all baryons are somehow excited states of protons, or protons + extra particles, and he seems to think that quarks are only parts of protons. However, there's lots of evidence that mesons are composed of quark-antiquark systems.
There are no free quarks. Full stop. And mesons have very short lifetimes.
lpetrich wrote:Beta decay: Farsight ignores the full range of reactions, hoping to imply that a neutron is an excited state of a proton, or even that a neutron somehow contains a proton, an electron, and an antineutrino. Here are the reactions observed; which one happens depends on what is energetically favorable.
n -> p + e- + nu*
p -> n + e+ + nu
p + e- -> n + nu (electron capture)
You're doing it again. Go look up beta decay.
lpetrich wrote:Slams: Farsight make Dirac claim that a neutron is made of cheese seems like a gratuitous insult.
That wasn't me.
lpetrich wrote:Likewise for Hawking claiming that ordinary matter is made of black holes, or Curie claiming that ordinary matter is made of radioactivity. Also, Witten's “Er, string, sir?” implies that he's not very confident that string theory is a viable possibility.
Hands up, that was me.
lpetrich wrote:At least Farsight got Gell-Mann's position right. That's as much as I had patience for.
LOL. You have no patience for scientific evidence. You warble on about another time dimension and you've never read Time Explained.

OK guys, what magazine do you think this article is aimed at?

colubridae
Custom Rank: Rank
About me: http://www.essentialart.com/acatalog/Ed ... Stars.html

Post by colubridae » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:48 pm

Farsight wrote:
Brain Man wrote:...Internet forums like this are only good for experiments in groupishness..and to get some rough peer review. If their feedback were to be taken completely seriously (not that there isnt good feedback to be had) you would end up in big trouble...
I rather think you're right, Brain Man. I do however find this feedback useful to sketch out a future course of action.

For fuck's sake! get a room guys. This is embarrasing. :|~
I have a well balanced personality. I've got chips on both shoulders

Farsight

Post by Farsight » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:56 pm

ChildInAZoo wrote:Farsight has yet to show how his ideas can account for any single physical system. All of what he has written is nonsense that makes less sense than Jabberwocky.
LOL. You wish.
ChildInAZoo wrote:Despite being asked countless times on dozens of internet forums by scores of users for a single example of how we can use his theory to do anything, he has failed to do this. All the bitching and moaning in the world will not change this.
Would you like to put some money on that?
ChildInAZoo wrote:Heck, all it does is get Farsight kicked off of forums, like he apparently did with his last attempt trying to sell his books.
I didn't get kicked off. That was a test. And rational skepticism failed miserably. See http://www.rationalskepticism.org/pseud ... t8947.html. The place is troll city, like wall-to-wall colubridaes, a science-free zone kept that way by "moderators". I asked for my account to be deactivated. No wonder Dawkins got shot of his forum.

ChildInAZoo

Post by ChildInAZoo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:17 pm

Farsight wrote:
ChildInAZoo wrote:Farsight has yet to show how his ideas can account for any single physical system. All of what he has written is nonsense that makes less sense than Jabberwocky.
LOL. You wish.
OK, so what physical system can your ideas actually describe? What is a single application that we can use your theories on?
ChildInAZoo wrote:Despite being asked countless times on dozens of internet forums by scores of users for a single example of how we can use his theory to do anything, he has failed to do this. All the bitching and moaning in the world will not change this.
Would you like to put some money on that?
Look, we know that you are trolling internet forums in order to try to drum up sales for your book, but you do not have to be so gauche about it. Seriously, though, you haven't produced a single description of anything.
ChildInAZoo wrote:Heck, all it does is get Farsight kicked off of forums, like he apparently did with his last attempt trying to sell his books.
I didn't get kicked off. That was a test. And rational skepticism failed miserably. See http://www.rationalskepticism.org/pseud ... t8947.html. The place is troll city, like wall-to-wall colubridaes, a science-free zone kept that way by "moderators". I asked for my account to be deactivated. No wonder Dawkins got shot of his forum.
The only reason your threads were science free is because you refused to answer questions and provide the science people were asking for. Just like you will continue to dodge the direct challenge to you to produce a single application of your theories. We know it is because you don't actually understand the stuff you are writing about. Why don't you just give up and start learning some physics. I guarantee you will get more respect.

Farsight

Post by Farsight » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:37 pm

ChildInAZoo wrote:OK, so what physical system can your ideas actually describe? What is a single application that we can use your theories on?
Electromagnetism, gravity, particles, time, dark energy, inflation, black holes, the list goes on. Applications are clean energy and artificial gravity.
ChildInAZoo wrote:Look, we know that you are trolling internet forums in order to try to drum up sales for your book, but you do not have to be so gauche about it. Seriously, though, you haven't produced a single description of anything.
I'm not trolling or drumming up sales, I'm talking physics, and you're trying to stop me because I threaten your precious WIMPs. And as for descriptions, see above and the threads I've started, and don't forget mass.
ChildInAZoo wrote:The only reason your threads were science free is because you refused to answer questions and provide the science people were asking for. Just like you will continue to dodge the direct challenge to you to produce a single application of your theories. We know it is because you don't actually understand the stuff you are writing about. Why don't you just give up and start learning some physics. I guarantee you will get more respect.
Garbage. I anwer questions and provide the science, you snipe.

colubridae
Custom Rank: Rank
About me: http://www.essentialart.com/acatalog/Ed ... Stars.html

Post by colubridae » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Farsight wrote:I'm not trolling or drumming up sales,
Oh yes you are. And it's a piece of shite, you can get better toilet paper in rolls. :pawiz:
I have a well balanced personality. I've got chips on both shoulders

ChildInAZoo

Post by ChildInAZoo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:58 pm

Farsight wrote:
ChildInAZoo wrote:OK, so what physical system can your ideas actually describe? What is a single application that we can use your theories on?
Electromagnetism, gravity, particles, time, dark energy, inflation, black holes, the list goes on. Applications are clean energy and artificial gravity.
So, please, show us an application. Over and over again you refuse while making grand claims. Let's see an application.
ChildInAZoo wrote:Look, we know that you are trolling internet forums in order to try to drum up sales for your book, but you do not have to be so gauche about it. Seriously, though, you haven't produced a single description of anything.
I'm not trolling or drumming up sales, I'm talking physics, and you're trying to stop me because I threaten your precious WIMPs. And as for descriptions, see above and the threads I've started, and don't forget mass.
None of those threads has an application in it. It is a lie to say that they do. If you think otherwise, reprint one of those applications here.
ChildInAZoo wrote:The only reason your threads were science free is because you refused to answer questions and provide the science people were asking for. Just like you will continue to dodge the direct challenge to you to produce a single application of your theories. We know it is because you don't actually understand the stuff you are writing about. Why don't you just give up and start learning some physics. I guarantee you will get more respect.
Garbage. I anwer questions and provide the science, you snipe.
So show us an application, Pope Farsight.

Farsight

Post by Farsight » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:14 pm

No. You wouldn't read it anyway, just as you haven't read any of the threads.

lpetrich

Post by lpetrich » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Farsight wrote:No. You wouldn't read it anyway, just as you haven't read any of the threads.
How very, very convenient, Farsight. With an attitude like that to tests of your theories, I'm not surprised that you can't get published.

Farsight

Post by Farsight » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:45 am

I should try again with the papers and journals I suppose, and forgive and forget the absurdity of the universe is made of mathematics in what purports to be a physics journal. By the way, this article was published in the Institute of Physics PhysicsWorld magazine. They gave relativity+ a mention. That's where it was advertised. The aim is to get mathematical physicists to understand the need for an evidence-backed analysis of mathematical terms. Then they'll maybe stop banging on about time travel, the multiverse, and similar pseudoscience garbage, and physics will emerge from its interregnum. But if you're anything to go by, I rather think that I and my experimentalist friends will need a lot more patience yet.

lpetrich

Post by lpetrich » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:44 pm

Farsight wrote:I should try again with the papers and journals I suppose,
Be sure to pay close attention to the referees' criticisms and not whine about how closed-minded those referees are.
and forgive and forget the absurdity of the universe is made of mathematics in what purports to be a physics journal.
Farsight, it seems like every new theory is an absurdity except yours.
But if you're anything to go by, I rather think that I and my experimentalist friends will need a lot more patience yet.
Farsight, when your experimentalist friends discover that your theories feature 0 quantitative predictions, they will likely desert you.

Farsight

Post by Farsight » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:59 pm

I pay close attention, lpetrich. And do remember that this isn't my theory, and it isn't new. And it definitely includes predictions. Sure, I haven't offered any quantitative predictions because I've been explaining the reality underlying the existing mathematics, but others will.

I see you've been bad-mouthing me on http://www.rationalskepticism.org/pseud ... 47-40.html. And I see that Darkchilde has been telling porkies too. A lifeboat for the rational mind, cringe. The place is a science-free zone. My test thread was the best in a long while, full of evidence and references, and it was immediately kicked into pseudoscience. This sort of thing can't go on. The censorship and the quackery has to stop. Physics is at stake.

ChildInAZoo

Post by ChildInAZoo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:05 pm

Farsight, what you fail to understand is that your very writing style labels you as a crank. You don't present the right kind of evidence and the way you deal with theories demonstrates not only your bias but your pathological approach to science. It does not take long for someone with experience in writing (and moderating a forum) to categorize your work.

Farsight

Post by Farsight » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:40 pm

ChildInAZoo wrote:Farsight, what you fail to understand is that your very writing style labels you as a crank. You don't present the right kind of evidence and the way you deal with theories demonstrates not only your bias but your pathological approach to science. It does not take long for someone with experience in writing (and moderating a forum) to categorize your work.
LOL, I've heard some desperate garbage in my time, but that takes the biscuit. My writing style doesn't label me as anything other than precise and empirical, somebody who gives robust evidence and references such as in How gravity works. It doesn't take long for somebody like you to realise that this is a threat, and try to stifle discussion with ad-hominems and spoiler tactics. You can't get away with it for ever. Nor will Darkchilde, or people like him. The genie is out of the bottle. Rationality is winning.

lpetrich

Post by lpetrich » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:10 pm

Farsight wrote:I pay close attention, lpetrich. And do remember that this isn't my theory, and it isn't new.
Irrelevant. You are advocating it as if you invented it.
Farsight wrote:And it definitely includes predictions. Sure, I haven't offered any quantitative predictions because I've been explaining the reality underlying the existing mathematics, but others will.
Which others? Seems like we'll see quantitative predictions on the Greek Kalends.
Farsight wrote:I see you've been bad-mouthing me on http://www.rationalskepticism.org/pseud ... 47-40.html.
Farsight, hasn't it ever occurred to you that my criticisms of your theories and methods might be justified?
Farsight wrote:And I see that Darkchilde has been telling porkies too.
Porkies? Like what?