Mr Newton's Classroom

Farsight

Mr Newton's Classroom

Post by Farsight » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:30 pm

I've written a little magazine article, and would be interested in hearing what you guys think. Here you you go, enjoy:

Apologies, I've deleted the OP because it's asking for comment on a magazine article, and I learned yesterday that I need to transfer copyright. Hence I feel it's best to remove the text. Again, apologies, but thanks for the feedback.

Edit by XC (on farsight's behalf): Text of OP removed due to copyright concerns.

lpetrich

Re: Mr Newton's Classroom

Post by lpetrich » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:14 pm

Quote mining as a Platonic dialogue, complete with omissions and outright errors and some gratuitous slams.

ChildInAZoo

Post by ChildInAZoo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:24 pm

Don't insult Plato like that, lp.

Farsight

Post by Farsight » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:39 pm

So tell me about the "outright errors", omissions, and gratuitous slams.

Brain Man
About me: Formerly Mr jobby till i was relieved of my duties.

Post by Brain Man » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:05 am

Thats the reality of how ideas are born..

Internet forums are not going to be the place where this happens. I was talking to harley borgais about the current situation.

you either have highly funded group science, whose aims are almost outlandish but provide jobs, and get huge amounts of cash out governments...

or old school, independent theorists whether PHD, nobel prize winners or not....it makes no difference, except the level of mockery is adjusted to the position of the person providing the idea.

these people may very well have elements of truth in their work...but nobody really cares...because there is only jobs, positions and sheep today...or i should say life has always been that way, with little islands of creative revolution like the pioneer days of science...and us creatives wish it could always be like that, but in reality its not.

In todays climate unless independent theoriests get together, create their own communities they will become depressed and isolated. Internet forums like this are only good for experiments in groupishness..and to get some rough peer review. If their feedback were to be taken completely seriously (not that there isnt good feedback to be had) you would end up in big trouble.

ChildInAZoo

Post by ChildInAZoo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:05 am

Farsight has yet to show how his ideas can account for any single physical system. All of what he has written is nonsense that makes less sense than Jabberwocky. Despite being asked countless times on dozens of internet forums by scores of users for a single example of how we can use his theory to do anything, he has failed to do this. All the bitching and moaning in the world will not change this.

Heck, all it does is get Farsight kicked off of forums, like he apparently did with his last attempt trying to sell his books.

lpetrich

Post by lpetrich » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:57 am

Farsight wrote:So tell me about the "outright errors", omissions, and gratuitous slams.
Proton-antiproton annihilation: Farsight seems to think that they do not produce charged pions or more than 2 particles, at least not in significant quantities. But I've looked at the literature for p-p* annihilation and it produces not only neutral pions, but also charged pions in similar quantities. The same is true for n-p* annihilation; yes, neutrons can annihilate with antiprotons.

Quarks outside of baryons: Farsight seems to think that all baryons are somehow excited states of protons, or protons + extra particles, and he seems to think that quarks are only parts of protons. However, there's lots of evidence that mesons are composed of quark-antiquark systems.

Beta decay: Farsight ignores the full range of reactions, hoping to imply that a neutron is an excited state of a proton, or even that a neutron somehow contains a proton, an electron, and an antineutrino. Here are the reactions observed; which one happens depends on what is energetically favorable.
n -> p + e- + nu*
p -> n + e+ + nu
p + e- -> n + nu (electron capture)

Slams: Farsight make Dirac claim that a neutron is made of cheese seems like a gratuitous insult. Likewise for Hawking claiming that ordinary matter is made of black holes, or Curie claiming that ordinary matter is made of radioactivity.

Also, Witten's “Er, string, sir?” implies that he's not very confident that string theory is a viable possibility.

At least Farsight got Gell-Mann's position right.

That's as much as I had patience for.

Brain Man

Post by Brain Man » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:47 pm

ChildInAZoo wrote:Farsight has yet to show how his ideas can account for any single physical system. All of what he has written is nonsense that makes less sense than Jabberwocky. Despite being asked countless times on dozens of internet forums by scores of users for a single example of how we can use his theory to do anything, he has failed to do this. All the bitching and moaning in the world will not change this.

Heck, all it does is get Farsight kicked off of forums, like he apparently did with his last attempt trying to sell his books.
This is not really about farsight in particular for me. He is one example from many.

Prove to me i am wrong. This is bohemian style hangout, a good deal of the members here are highly creative temperaments.

Prove us wrong and post your science...theories, thesis, projects etc...in whatever form...

Or are we scared ?

Prove me wrong that the very format of internet forums make us too scared to express our creativity.

colubridae
Custom Rank: Rank
About me: http://www.essentialart.com/acatalog/Ed ... Stars.html

Post by colubridae » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:55 pm

Brain Man wrote:
ChildInAZoo wrote:Farsight has yet to show how his ideas can account for any single physical system. All of what he has written is nonsense that makes less sense than Jabberwocky. Despite being asked countless times on dozens of internet forums by scores of users for a single example of how we can use his theory to do anything, he has failed to do this. All the bitching and moaning in the world will not change this.

This is not really about farsight in particular for me. He is one example from many.

Prove to me i am wrong. This is bohemian style hangout, a good deal of the members here are highly creative temperaments.

Prove us wrong and post your science...theories, thesis, projects etc...in whatever form...

Or are we scared ?

Prove me wrong that the very format of internet forums make us too scared to express our creativity.

Bohemian! ffuck mmmeeee. I'm welsh. :funny: :funny: :funny:
I have a well balanced personality. I've got chips on both shoulders

Brain Man

Post by Brain Man » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:09 pm

colubridae wrote:
Brain Man wrote:

Or are we scared ?

Bohemian! ffuck mmmeeee. I'm welsh. :funny: :funny: :funny:
im tempted to with 3 of u lying down with those nice dARK slim legs waving in the air like that... :D

ChildInAZoo

Post by ChildInAZoo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Brain Man wrote:Prove me wrong that the very format of internet forums make us too scared to express our creativity.
You are very creative in the bullshit excuses you can concoct. Farsight has had thousands of chances to demonstrate his position. He even has his own website with a pdf and a myspace page. In none of these venues can he demonstate that his theory allows us to do anything in physics.

Brain Man

Post by Brain Man » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:58 pm

ChildInAZoo wrote:
Brain Man wrote:Prove me wrong that the very format of internet forums make us too scared to express our creativity.
You are very creative in the bullshit excuses you can concoct. Farsight has had thousands of chances to demonstrate his position. He even has his own website with a pdf and a myspace page. In none of these venues can he demonstate that his theory allows us to do anything in physics.
It does actually.I dont know what it does for cutting edge physics. I could not say on that.

What It does allow is for people in multidisciplinary fields, such as biosciences to get an easy grasp on physics concepts that are otherwise inaccessible with the time we are given for these subjects. i.e You are normally told, just accept charge is charge, gravity and time is a mystery...there isn't time to get into what it actually is conceptually...But we do need to know what these things are conceptually, because biosciences has enough glaring conceptual holes already. i.e If you study the brain, you do need to have concepts of time, you do need to have a simple easy to grasp spatial view of charge.

What a breath of fresh air that one guy comes along and explains it easily in a few paragraphs.

I am not the only one, I see his book reviewers also had a similar take. I have no interest in actually promoting farsight.

I am just a grateful guy that he came along and explained what he did at just the right time.

ChildInAZoo

Post by ChildInAZoo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:49 am

How do you know that his explanation is a good one? You are simply accepting his story on faith!

lpetrich

Post by lpetrich » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:47 am

Brain Man wrote:
ChildInAZoo wrote:
It does actually.I dont know what it does for cutting edge physics. I could not say on that.
Just as well, since it's absolutely worthless.
Brain Man wrote:What It does allow is for people in multidisciplinary fields, such as biosciences to get an easy grasp on physics concepts that are otherwise inaccessible with the time we are given for these subjects.
So you'd promote some demonstrably false theories just because they are presumably easy to understand? Not just oversimplified, but just plain demonstrably false. Brain Man, I'm surprised that you are not stumping for a revival of Aristotelian physics.

colubridae
Custom Rank: Rank
About me: http://www.essentialart.com/acatalog/Ed ... Stars.html

Post by colubridae » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:41 am

Brain Man wrote: What a breath of fresh air that one guy comes along and explains it easily in a few paragraphs.

I am not the only one, I see his book reviewers also had a similar take. I have no interest in actually promoting farsight.

I am just a grateful guy that he came along and explained what he did at just the right time.
The exact same thing was said about the bermuda triangle. Not by everyone, of course, just gullible dimwits.
I have a well balanced personality. I've got chips on both shoulders