Bitcoin & the crypto-currency revolution. (get some here).

Collector1337
About me: I am a satire of your stereotype about me.

Re: Bitcoin & the crypto-currency revolution. (get some here

Post by Collector1337 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:46 am

My favorite part of bitcoins is the anonymity. You'd be surprised at the selection of... um... "unique" items you can't just buy off the normal internet.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Skepticus
About me: Oh, what wouldn't I give to be spat at in the face? I sometimes hang awake at night, dreaming of being spat at in the face.

MY BITCOIN TIP JAR:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1BTC2PAYFNZNU1RpLQs5Jy8z5xdNJ2RyUU

Post by Skepticus » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:19 am

PsychoSerenity wrote:
Skepticus wrote:
PsychoSerenity wrote:
Skepticus wrote:If you think anybody is getting a free lunch, then you either don't understand bitcoin, don't understand basic economics, or both.
Or you do understand the possibilities of speculative trading in an entirely unregulated and unprotected market.
If you think that anybody with the power to regulate or 'protect' a market, will be doing so for your benefit, it's definitely the economics (and politics) you don't understand. See video above: Money As Debt. ;)
Trust me, I'm well aware of how our money system works and many of the major problems with it. As far as I can see bitcoin doesn't solve any of them and, like any alternative currency, adds a handful of extra ones. Oh, unless because of a Libertarian/Austrian School bent you believe taxation of hoarded wealth to be a problem.
Well, I guess we're at an impasse then, because you don't explain your yourself and I don't read minds. ;)
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless that testimony be of such a knd, that it's
falsehood would be more miraculous, than the fact which it endevours to establish. ~~~ David Hume

FOR MICRO-EVOLUTION THERE'S Image FOR EVERYTHING ELSE THERE'S Image

Skepticus
About me: Oh, what wouldn't I give to be spat at in the face? I sometimes hang awake at night, dreaming of being spat at in the face.

MY BITCOIN TIP JAR:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post by Skepticus » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:28 am

Collector1337 wrote:My favorite part of bitcoins is the anonymity. You'd be surprised at the selection of... um... "unique" items you can't just buy off the normal internet.
:hehe: Collector, URADV8
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless that testimony be of such a knd, that it's
falsehood would be more miraculous, than the fact which it endevours to establish. ~~~ David Hume

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:34 am

Collector1337 wrote:My favorite part of bitcoins is the anonymity. You'd be surprised at the selection of... um... "unique" items you can't just buy off the normal internet.
Yeah, yeah, more weapons of various sorts to masturbate over... :bored:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Skepticus

MY BITCOIN TIP JAR:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post by Skepticus » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:46 am

colubridae wrote:
Skepticus wrote:To ALL

My intention in starting this thread was to offer help and advice to anybody interested in using bitcoin or wanting to learn more. I am not interested in having protracted debates about the efficacy or viability of bitcoin. Those who dont wish to use it or learn about it, may choose to do so (or not do so) without derailing this thread with uninformed and futile criticisms of bitcoin. I'm a bitcoin enthusiast and this is a PRO bitcoin thread. If you want to debate about the viability or legality of bitcoin etc. that's fine but if you wouldn't mind, please start another thread elsewhere.

Thanks Skep.
To skepticus.

Not a chance, this is ratz,. People say what they like, where they like, when they like (within FUA. (which are "more of a guideline - G. Rush")) That's why they're here. :prof:

So good luck and keep trying, the entertainment value is worth a couple of bitcoins. Just mind the bubble. :tup:
It's worth about $273? Good. Seeing that I have offered to pay 0.1 BTC to the ten best contributions to this thread and match that that with 1 BTC for the ratz foundation, were right on track. :D

Thanks for the advice. :td:

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:21 pm

List of Bitcoin thefts and scams
Since this hasn't been answered, commented on or refuted, I thought it was worth posting it again. And again.

And here is the bit about the '' Pirate default ''
Pirate default
It's over. I personally will offer sympathy to those who may have lost.

I'm at odds about what to do about this. On one side, the implications are clear: Pirate@40 willingly scammed hundreds off their money, which best estimates put at around 500000 BTC. Such an amount, making up more than 5% of all BTC in circulation, in unprecedented in the history of Bitcoin. It is my duty to include it in this list, as not doing so would be dishonest. However, by doing so, the complexity of this situation requires restructuring at the least.

I am looking for community input into this issue. There are missing data which I deem important, and I welcome any estimates for the values I list below.
Total BTC defaulted on
Total investors directly with Pirate
Total investors exposed through defaulting passthroughs
Total investors exposed through all passthroughs, including ones that compensated partially or fully

There are also semantical issues. For example, the list of victims is large and diverse; some were affected in different ways than others. Certain passthrough owners have repaid in Pirate's name in full or in part (notme). The honest passthrough owners (to use the term to describe veracity, to withhold it not to imply malevolence) have without doubt been hurt, but then again many would have profited greatly from the 7% while offered.

I ask for input on handling of semantics. The list below will provide a general overview of decisions that need to be made.

BS&T has paid interest. Should this amount be included in the amount scammed, or excluded?
People have made bets. Should reference to this be included?
Passthrough owners have been hurt in different manners. To what degree should this be highlighted?

Any other help in this complex issue, I would appreciate greatly. I also would like to take this time to, once again, offer heartfelt condolences to all who have suffered.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Want to post a list of normal cash thefts and scams too? The only point you are making is that some people are stupid and get parted from their valuables rather easily.
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:43 pm

Azathoth wrote:Want to post a list of normal cash thefts and scams too? The only point you are making is that some people are stupid and get parted from their valuables rather easily.
That was more than pinching a few quid from your credit card :
which best estimates put at around 500000 BTC. Such an amount, making up more than 5% of all BTC in circulation, in unprecedented in the history of Bitcoin.

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:48 pm

Can you say enron?
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Azathoth wrote:Can you say enron?
What I can say is that you'd have to be pretty stupid to buy Enron shares, AFTER the scam had been exposed.
But that's what we are being urged to do here.

What's keeping the price of bitcoins up at the moment, is the volume that were traded at about 266 dollars.
Now that they are about half that price, a lot of people will sit on them, hoping that they'll go up again, so that they can cash out without a loss. That means that supply will be restricted now for quite some time.

But potential buyers will also be aware of the previous bursting of the 266 dollar bubble, so there should be a stalemate for some considerable time now, till people accept that they've made a loss and sell, or till other people forget the losses that people made previously, and start buying again.

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:12 pm

No what you are suggesting is akin to saying that you would be stupid to buy gold after a large amount of gold was stolen. Things of value get stolen. If things dont have value nobody wants to steal them

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:15 pm

The comparisons made earlier between gold and BC are interesting. I've not watched any of the recommended videos, and don't have time, so if they answer my question I apologise for asking it here.

Gold is a substance that actually has a use in the real world, plus some very appealing chemical properties - particularly its stability, conductivity, malleability, and indeed appearance. It's the desire for this substance that gives it its initial value, and makes it worth acquiring. Even if gold somehow lost its financial value through some banking upset, it would still be useful in its own right, and would still be sought after because of its physical properties.

BC has the scarcity of gold, but does it have any other properties that give it intrinsic value, even if its monetary value reduces to nearly zero for whatever reason? Do the BCs themselves, through virtue of the mining or some other process, hold some property (whatever it is the mining machines have to do to make them) that has value in the real world?

In other words, if I buy a bar of gold, I still have a bar of gold even if it's worthless; if I acquire BC and it becomes worthless, what do I have? Or am I barking up the wrong analogy, because the real comparison of BC is with, say, paper money, which is also nearly useless if its value vanishes?

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:17 pm

OK let me change out gold for diamonds then. Industrial grade diamonds are worth fuck all. The big shiny ones have no use other than being big and shiny

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Azathoth wrote:No what you are suggesting is akin to saying that you would be stupid to buy gold after a large amount of gold was stolen. Things of value get stolen. If things dont have value nobody wants to steal them
No, that's bollocks.
You can sell gold anywhere. People put money in your hand, and you put the gold in their hand. I can pay by credit card, and I'm protected.
It's a question of the security of the systems on offer. Five percent of all bitcoins in one scam indicates a basic insecurity in the system.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 pm

Azathoth wrote:OK let me change out gold for diamonds then. Industrial grade diamonds are worth fuck all. The big shiny ones have no use other than being big and shiny
Tell that to a fairly high proportion of hominids with 2 X chromosomes...

;)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!