Science news of the day thread.

macdoc
Twitcher

Re: Science news of the day thread.

Post by macdoc » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:46 am

Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:57 am

Fusion's been 10 years away for the last 40 years.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:59 pm

well I hear 30 years away for last 40 - this however changes things :read:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:40 pm

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:35 am

What did you learn?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:07 am

That the great-snipe-is-the-fastest-migratory-bird-ever-discovered...
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:19 am

Unlikely source but I enjoyed this article on jet engines

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/blogs/ ... hallenges/

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:43 pm

After years of lab development and pilot deployments, ESS Inc has been working more recently to turn its unique, proprietary technology offering into a commercial offering and towards the beginning of this year launched a grid-scale product based on its iron and saltwater electrolyte battery chemistry.

The non-toxic, non-degrading battery chemistry is designed to be environmentally sustainable and last many years in the field. It is configurable to offer from four hours up to 12 hours of storage and ESS Inc said that in addition to using abundant materials, it is low-cost.

In 2019, former CEO and co-founder Craig Evans told this site that the batteries can “cycle tens of thousands of times,” and do so with “zero capacity fade”. Evans was speaking then on the occasion of a US$30 million Series C funding round closing, with SB Energy among investors participating. Other investors in the company have included the Bill Gates-founded Breakthrough Energy Ventures.

https://www.energy-storage.news/ess-inc ... sb-energy/
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:50 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:57 am
Fusion's been 10 years away for the last 40 years.

Frank Zappa

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:35 pm

Bugger
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:17 pm

Australia has enough fusion power raining down every day to power the planet ....we can't even harness the free stuff without the naysayers and vested interests.
Even the energy regulator says Aus could be 100% renewable in 10 years.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:10 am

Hermit wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:35 pm
Bugger
You said it, but now I understand better why fusion power has been '5 years away in the future'... for the las 70 years or so
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:55 am

macdoc wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:17 pm
Australia has enough fusion power raining down every day to power the planet ....we can't even harness the free stuff without the naysayers and vested interests.
Even the energy regulator says Aus could be 100% renewable in 10 years.
I say 5 years, if there is the political will to support it.

Is there ?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:50 pm

If pols want to keep their jobs...they better heed this - 5 years is tough tho
Renewables supported Australia-wide

Despite Australia’s contemporary reliance on coal energy, the advent of renewable energy has more and more Aussies are embracing the necessary shift to renewable energy, according to a recent survey reported by Yahoo! Australia. This is based on a recently released survey conducted by the Climate Institute.

The survey asked a sample size consisting of 2660 Australians regarding the country’s future energy mix, and 96 per cent of them wanted the country’s future energy mix to be led by renewable energy. Then, 70 per cent of the respondents answered to shut down coal-fired power plants in an orderly way and shift to renewable energy sources.
https://carbontrack.com.au/blog/austral ... gy-survey/
Full power ahead for UK to Norway under-sea power cable
Published5 hours ago

One of the barges used to construct North Sea Link, which connects Blyth, Northumberland, to the Norwegian village of Kvilldal
IMAGE SOURCE, NATIONAL GRID
Image caption, Specially designed barges were used in the construction of North Sea Link
The world's longest under-sea electricity cable, transferring green power between Norway and the UK, has begun operation.
The 450-mile (725km) cable connects Blyth in Northumberland with the Norwegian village of Kvilldal.
At full 1,400 megawatt capacity it will import enough hydro-power to supply 1.4 million homes, National Grid said.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-58772572

Now about Sahara solar to Europe..... :popcorn:

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:12 pm

A new seamount.

'Largest Underwater Eruption Ever Recorded Gives Birth to Massive New Volcano'
A huge seismic event that started in May of 2018 and was felt across the entire globe has officially given birth to a new underwater volcano.

Off the eastern coast of the island of Mayotte, a gigantic new feature rises 820 meters (2,690 feet) from the seafloor, a prominence that hadn't been there prior to an earthquake that rocked the island in May 2018.

"This is the largest active submarine eruption ever documented," the researchers wrote in their paper.

The new feature, thought to be part of a tectonic structure between the East African and Madagascar rifts, is helping scientists understand deep Earth processes about which we know relatively little.

The seismic rumbles of the ongoing event started on 10 May 2018. Just a few days later, on 15 May, a magnitude 5.8 quake struck, rocking the nearby island. Initially, scientists were perplexed; but it didn't take long to figure out that a volcanic event had occurred, the likes of which had never been seen before.

The signals pointed to a location around 50 kilometers from the Eastern coast of Mayotte, a French territory and part of the volcanic Comoros archipelago sandwiched between the Eastern coast of Africa and the Northern tip of Madagascar.