Science Must Fall.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Science Must Fall.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:04 pm

rainbow wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Science, as a product of western colonialism, is hate speech.
Mike Pence seems to agree with you on that.
I was speaking ironically, but there are people who, apparently, do believe that.

rainbow wrote:
The full transcript of this interview is actually available online, right here. Some key quotes from Pence from the interview, with my notes in parentheses:

On climate change: “I think the science is very mixed on the subject of global warming, Chris.” (It isn’t.) “In the mainstream media, Chris, there is a denial of the growing skepticism in the scientific community about global warming.” (There wasn’t, and isn’t, growing skepticism.)
I think whether there is growing or lessening skepticism is irrelevant. The science should be taught at the appropriate science level in school, including Earth Science, climate science, etc. I would tell Pence that we don't worry about what the media says about other areas of science. We teach the science which is prevailing in the peer reviewed scientific journals, packaged and worded at a level appropriate for the students at issue.

I seen nothing wrong, though, in teachers exploring the issues raised against global warming or climate change, provided the teachers both raise the issue and explain how the issues that have been raised have been addressed. I.e. - some people oppose the theory of human driven climate change, and here's a couple of reasons they've advanced -- and here is how the climate change theorists have addressed that.

That's no different than teaching big bang theory and exploring how recently some physicists have begun questioning the Big Bang theory and exploring those issues, as well as accurately describing them and accurately describing how big bang theorists have addressed those issues.

These are high level scientific concepts, and I really don't see them being talked about much in science class until well into high school. I mean, I think it was 8th grade and we were learning about "plate tectonics" in Earth science, and cutting open frogs in biology class. At that level, they're learning the basics -- even in first year physics in high school, kids are dropping stuff off the roof of the school to prove the theory that bowling balls and baseballs fall at the same rate.

That's why much of this climate change stuff is really a bit overblown. It's really more appropriate for a college course.

On teaching creationism in schools: “I think in our schools we should teach all of the facts about all of these controversial areas, and let our students, let our children and our children’s children decide based upon the facts and the science.” (This would appear to be a “teach the controversy” position, supported by creationism and intelligent design supporters.)
This is nonsense. But, I've said it before, it would be easy to "teach" Creationism, rather than "preach" it. If all we were really talking about was teaching the principles of creationism, we would spend about 5 minutes of class time: Some people, mostly religious people, believe that the earth was created by a deity or deities. Some of those ideas suggest a really old or infinite world, and others a fairly young world, and each religion tends to have a different methodology by which the deities created the world. For example, the Norse believed that the Allfather created the world from a giant cow and such, and the Christians, Jews and Muslims think that the deity created the world out of a firmament of waters over the course of 7 days. None of this has been backed up by scientific proofs, and we don't have time to cover each and every creation story.\

The problem with Pence is that he's assuming that we're ONLY talking about Jewish/Christian creationism. And, he doesn't just want it taught as a theory of physical events. He most likely wants moralistic preaching about the loving god and all that.

When asked whether he believes in evolution (for a second time): “I believe with all my heart that God created the heavens and the earth, the seas and all that is in them …. How he did that, I’ll ask him about some day.” (Many religious believers have no problem saying that God acted through the process of evolution, a view that is not considered to be science-denying creationism, and that reconciles, successfully, science and religion. But note here that Pence does not specifically accept that stance.)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... ae97de8973[/quote]

Pence says "how he did that, I'll ask him about some day." However, if I were interviewing him, I would ask him if it tells us in the Bible how god did it, and whether that method described in the bible is literally true.

But, he would evade and fail to answer. They all do that.

Basically, there is no getting to a logical answer. They just say what they say and ignore logical contradictions. It's what little kids do when they both believe in Santa Claus and also know he doesn't exist. That few years from like age 8 to 10, when kids become "scoffers" at the idea of Santa Claus. Like in the movie "A Christmas Story" the main character says "Most of us were scoffers....but, so close to zero hour [Christmas] it didn't pay to take any chances." So, he dutifully visits Santa to tell him he wants his Red Rider BB gun, and such. He knows, but he believes.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:46 pm

If we're going to teach creationism as an alternative explanation to the established facts then are we to similarly teach a flat earth, crystal healing, homoeopathy, divination by entrails, or any other wacko idea people are prepared to bet on?

My point is, what is so special about creationism or climate change denial that we ought to afford them the mantle of a reasonable point of view and, basically, waste students time 'teaching the principles' of irrational, and in some cases duplicitous, creeds?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:48 pm

And my point would be how on Earth can Forty Two even consider voting for a candidate whose running-mate is a religious lunatic?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:47 am

Brian Peacock wrote:If we're going to teach creationism as an alternative explanation to the established facts then are we to similarly teach a flat earth, crystal healing, homoeopathy, divination by entrails, or any other wacko idea people are prepared to bet on?

My point is, what is so special about creationism or climate change denial that we ought to afford them the mantle of a reasonable point of view and, basically, waste students time 'teaching the principles' of irrational, and in some cases duplicitous, creeds?
Quite.

Still waiting for some troglodyte to demand that the stork theory of procreation be added to the syllabus.

And why not? After all, the syllabus is a bus for the sylly.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:11 am

I'd much rather have a syllabub...
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:26 am

I'd rather have a succubus myself, but to each their own.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:18 pm

JimC wrote:And my point would be how on Earth can Forty Two even consider voting for a candidate whose running-mate is a religious lunatic?
I may not vote at all, because I can't vote for a lying, cheating, criminal either.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:17 pm

Vote green. It might be a waste but it all contributes to a growing wave.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:03 pm

Vote Libertarian. We're fucking doomed anyway, may as well go out stoned.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:54 pm

Forty Two wrote:
JimC wrote:And my point would be how on Earth can Forty Two even consider voting for a candidate whose running-mate is a religious lunatic?
I may not vote at all, because I can't vote for a lying, cheating, criminal either.
I suspect that might be a very common response; a pox on both their houses.

One feels that either voter turnout will be lower than usual, or that third party votes will be higher, or both...
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:32 am

laklak wrote:Vote Libertarian. We're fucking doomed anyway, may as well go out stoned.
:lol:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:11 am

I don't know how anyone could think that Trump is not every bit as anti-science as his running mate.
twitter.com wrote:@RealDonaldTrump
The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.

Retweets 97,952; Likes 62,385

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/sta ... 2191248385

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:34 am

:roll:
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:23 pm

laklak wrote:Vote Libertarian. We're fucking doomed anyway, may as well go out stoned.
I think the Green party is also into some heavy shit especially the ones who wrote their manifesto. :smoke:
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:25 pm

When it comes to politics all side of the political spectrum only like the science that supports their agenda. Ideologies are just as much a corrupter of science as any religion.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.