Close Encounters with Grizzly Bears

Gallstones
Supreme Absolute And Exclusive Ruler Of The World
About me: A fleck on a flake on a speck.

Close Encounters with Grizzly Bears

Post by Gallstones » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:07 pm

Glacier National Park: Close encounters of a grizzly kind on Highline Trail 07.30.14
WEST GLACIER – Aware of an incident just two days earlier where a Texas man shot and likely wounded a bear that he said charged him in Glacier National Park, Kalispell photographer Philip Granrud carefully chose the picture he posted on social media this week.

It shows a separate grizzly-human encounter he – and dozens of other people – witnessed near Logan Pass Monday evening.

The picture is plenty dramatic.

In a frame that otherwise shows mostly sheer cliffs, you can make out a grizzly walking on the park’s Highline Trail at the trail’s most precarious spot, where rock walls shoot dizzyingly above on one side, and fall almost straight down on the other for about a quarter-mile stretch.

To the right of the bear, at about the only place on that section where a person could leave the trail without plummeting to his or her death, is a man in a white shirt, hiding behind a boulder.

“It was taken 15 seconds after they spooked each other,” ...
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
But here’s the thing about rights. They’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights. ~Rachel Maddow August 2010

The Second Amendment forms a fourth branch of government (an armed citizenry) in case the government goes mad. ~Larry Nutter

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Re: Close Encounters with Grizzly Bears

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:49 pm

“It was taken 15 seconds after they spooked each other,” ...
That would be the 'asymetrical spookiness' where the bloke shits in his pants and jumps off a cliff and the bear just carries on about it's business, I suspect.
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:04 pm

Gallstones wrote:Glacier National Park: Close encounters of a grizzly kind on Highline Trail 07.30.14
WEST GLACIER – Aware of an incident just two days earlier where a Texas man shot and likely wounded a bear that he said charged him in Glacier National Park, Kalispell photographer Philip Granrud carefully chose the picture he posted on social media this week.
I want to hear the bear's side of the story. :what:

Anyway, that photo of the bear reminds me of that Italian dam face that Ibexes frequent:

God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

piscator

Post by piscator » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:45 pm

In the OP, it looks like the guy is digging around for his camera, and the bear's being reasonable and practical about the whole fucked up situation. You can bet the picture taker and anyone else was who could see it was yelling at both the bear and the hiker way before this point.
Grizzlies are usually driven by hunger. Up here, an Interior or Arctic grizzly is usually a different animal than the mellower coastal Brownie with access to salmon and a superabundance of berries.
Attachments
trout-fishing-kenai-river5-large.jpg
Last edited by piscator on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:55 pm

My goofy GF let this griz get waaaaaay too close two weeks ago in Alaska along the road.

She's shooting out the open window and I see the bear disappear from my view and she's snapping away - then I see the bear's head pop up in the apparently open window.... :what:

She swears she was closing it ....I told her the camera will not focus with that lens under 6'....her last shot was out of focus.....and we'd been munching on Miss Vickies.

Now she claims he was just curious but that bear could close way too fast from under 6' if it wanted to. :banghead:

She said the look on my face was priceless.... :leave:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:06 pm

I think in reality, the bear was in more danger than the man. Assuming he had some proper bear spray.
If he'd sprayed the bear, it would probably have gone over the edge.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.