Discworld Game Thread

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

Magicziggy

Re: Discworld Posgame Wrap-up

Post by Magicziggy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:32 am

MattShizzle wrote:Thing is "lynching less skilled players" doesn't help town. I'm sometimes good at detecting scum but I'm really, really, really bad at social skills and verbal communication (for those who don't know I have Aspergers Syndrome and from what I learned recently am actually on the border of full fledged autism.)
We all are somewhere on the spectrum.

Keep at it. I don;t find your game scummy at all. It stands out a mile as being townish.
To be honest, this discussion will make it very hard for scum to pick on you the next time you are town. It will look scummy.
I have never seen your scum game and I can;t wait for that.

Distinguishing the two will help you when you are town and probably suck big time when you are scum. Then you will have to adapt even further. But I think you made some good observations in this game. Some further commentary from you would be most welcome.

:tup:

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:56 am

Looks like patience and understanding may well go a long way here. I can see room for some in-game encouragement and coaching to help Matt's confidence improve. I'm certainly up for it.

Matt, you've done a good job of bringing your problem to us in a way we can understand in this post-game thread, and it's clear you want to play ... Do you think you could get to a more confident point of participation during games with some in-game encouragement and a little coaching from the rest of us?
no fences

Magicziggy

Post by Magicziggy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:33 am

charlou wrote:Looks like patience and understanding may well go a long way here. I can see room for some in-game encouragement and coaching to help Matt's confidence improve. I'm certainly up for it.

Matt, you've done a good job of bringing your problem to us in a way we can understand in this post-game thread, and it's clear you want to play ... Do you think you could get to a more confident point of participation during games with some in-game encouragement and a little coaching from the rest of us?
I've never even considered being a mentor. However I'm not planning on playing the next game. So I'm certainly up for offering in game encouragement.

amok
About me: Bearer of bad news.

Post by amok » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:36 am

MattShizzle wrote:Thing is "lynching less skilled players" doesn't help town. I'm sometimes good at detecting scum but I'm really, really, really bad at social skills and verbal communication (for those who don't know I have Aspergers Syndrome and from what I learned recently am actually on the border of full fledged autism.)
I agree. I'm still a less skilled player, too.

What I'm trying to say is that you may have communication issues, but you obviously don't have intelligence/perception issues. I believe it might benefit both you as player (and an individual) and your team in particular games, if you sort of forced yourself to articulate, just a bit, at first, about your thoughts.

Your thoughts and ideas are obviously valuable. You were right, in this game! I don't mean you should go beyond what's comfortable for you, but maybe just reach toward/beyond the comfort zone?

If I'm out of line, because I have no personal knowledge beyond what I've read about Aspergers/autisim, I truly apologize. But I just have this feeling that you can reach... and talk to us. I very, very much want to play with you again, Mr. Schizzle. :hugs:
It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.
- Martin Luther King Jr.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:04 am

Magicziggy wrote:
charlou wrote:Looks like patience and understanding may well go a long way here. I can see room for some in-game encouragement and coaching to help Matt's confidence improve. I'm certainly up for it.

I've never even considered being a mentor. However I'm not planning on playing the next game. So I'm certainly up for offering in game encouragement.
:tup:

I had in mind that we all try to accommodate Matt's problem while playing, and encourage him to contribute with confidence. It's at odds with the usual approach to playing mafia, but it's something we already tend to do to some degree for new players. Perhaps Matt just needs that bit of extra support for a while.
no fences

Magicziggy

Discworld Posgame Wrap-up

Post by Magicziggy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:44 am

I did get your meaning. However, since I wasn't planning on playing, I was wondering if Matt was up to some support from me on the outside. I wouldn't call it mentoring though. I don't believe in mentoring per se. Maybe someone just to bounce ideas off.

I'm not being pushy and he may well feel it's not necessary. Either way, the offer is there.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:58 am

Sorry, I wasn't dismissing your offer ... just wanted to clarify my idea. :cheers:
no fences